Pulling with a motorcycle. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 12:10 AM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Amerigo
Tennessee
Pulling with a motorcycle.

I have seen several pop-up type trailers that can be pulled with a motorcycle. Are there any FG trailers that can be pulled by a bike since they are so lightweight? We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2020 and would prefer hard walls if available.
Galileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
What's the tow and tongue weight capacity of your motorcycle? Just because it's fiberglass does not mean it is lightweight.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We just had this conversation. Short answer is probably not. The lightest molded fiberglass trailers with stand-up headroom weigh in around 1300# loaded for travel. There is a 600# (dry) fiberglass teardrop, the myPod. Road weight is probably around 750#.

Here's the recent thread. It has some good, detailed answers from folks with extensive motorcycle experience.

Tow Vehicle is a Motorcycle
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
I have seen several pop-up type trailers that can be pulled with a motorcycle. Are there any FG trailers that can be pulled by a bike since they are so lightweight? We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2020 and would prefer hard walls if available.
Well if you go teardrop, you might be OK. Really depends on the motorcycle. I wouldn't do it. But others do.

Techincally, the Bunkhouse popup motorcycle camper would qualify as a fiberglass trailer as the main tub is fiberglass. No hard walls.

I pulled a Bunkhouse with my Goldwing GL1800, one of the biggest and heaviest motorcycles out there. Towing it was a chore, stopping took a long time, handling was not very good.

When I took my motorcycle to Alaska, I pulled my Escapade (small, light, narrow, motorcycle cargo trailer). No way I would have taken the Bunkhouse that far. I got where I hated towing the Bunkhouse trailer.

Most motorcycle trailers do not have brakes. In an emergency situation they can be scary. Realize you are pulling with a two wheel vehicle that has inherent stability issues, and pulling a trailer makes it much worse. The push you get pulling a motorcycle trailer downhill can be unnerving.

Escapade:

http://californiasidecar.com/index.p...kes/show/elite

Bunkhouse:

https://www.bunkhousecamper.com
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Did I miss the size of the motorcycle?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

Tennessee
No need to go further. At this point, I will just defer to the shared link so we don't rehash how not to tow the Titanic with a scooter. The MyPod and Helio both are along what I was thinking. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Saw a small pop-up two person sleeper this past summer towed by a Gold Wing. Driver told me it had electric brakes. California plates. Headed for the Stampede, then Alaska. Can't recall the name.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
My original towing was using a 1200 Gold Wing and an old 'Cycle Camp' pop-up (molded F/G shell) (loaded weight about 400 lb) Due to the weight and set-up complexity, I eventually designed and built an all aluminum box trailer containing bed and cargo (loaded weight under 200 lb). I utilized a modified 9' x 12' outside-frame nylon tent as the shelter. The result was easily set up by one person, and was much better to tow.
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
They do make a teardrop trailer for motorcycles , they do sleep two .

I have a motorcycle tent trailer that folds out to about 15 feet when fully set up . It has a screen room , a den , or extra storage and has a 52 " bed that sleeps two just fine. I sometimes tow it with my car or truck .
Attached Thumbnails
20130719_114356.jpg  
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:23 AM   #10

Tennessee
Please let it go.

Not sure where 'nough said wasn't enough but I found a Timeout trailer that has a queen size bed, dining area, and lounging area with a price that pretty much SETTLES my questions. Please see link above for further discussion. It's really informative.