Pulling with Toureg or Mercedes GL320 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Pulling with Toureg or Mercedes GL320

Hi all,

Does anyone here pull with either a Toureg or Mercedes GL320. We were plannign on buying a Tundra to pull our 21 foot Bigfoot, but I am starting to wonder if, rather than owning a minivan for day to day driving and a separate truck for towing, if we would be better off owning a Toureg diesel or Mercedes diesel to use for both.

Anyone have experience with these as tow vehicles for the larger trailers like mine?

Thanks!
camping_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
If you pull a Scamp with a Toureg, does that make it a Tour Egg?
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
I tow with a Touareg and interestingly also own a Tundra PU. I LOVE the Touareg and it has a 7500 lb limit but the wheel base is shorter than the Tundra. The touareg tows like a beast and is a wonderful daily driver as well but it's also a fairly posh ride.

Consider how much extra gear you may have to take along - do you want it in your touareg or in the bed of a truck?

Run the numbers on the vehicle purchases, it may help you make a decision. The tundra will be cheaper and the maintenance costs will be lower. How much is your minivan worth? Selling it may balance out the equation...
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Utah
Thanks Janet. What are you pulling with the Toureg? The person I purchased my Bigfoot from towed it with a Grand Cherokee and said it worked well, so I imagine the Toureg's wheel base can handle it (though obviously the longer Tundra would be preferable in that sense).
Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Mrs.

Both the T-Reg and the Benz are top rated tow vehicles and a step up from your pick up as far as towing prowess is concerned.
Here is an interesting blurb which gives a great example of how the Benz tows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
so I imagine the Toureg's wheel base can handle it (though obviously the longer Tundra would be preferable in that sense).
When using the Hensley the tow vehicles wheel base becomes less of a factor as the trailer is unable to induce sway on the combination.

As Janet posted the T-regs are great too. Garth Cane from RV Lifestyle magazine did a tow test a few years ago and reported that to date it was the best TV he had ever tested. Note with both examples they were using high end Hensley Connection systems.

Based on the above reports one would conclude that either one of the above vehicles could easily handle your 21'BF. Also note there have been various discussions comparing these two vehicles on other RV forums. The Mercedes seems to be the top pick.
Attached Thumbnails
t-reg bugg.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Janet. What are you pulling with the Toureg? The person I purchased my Bigfoot from towed it with a Grand Cherokee and said it worked well, so I imagine the Toureg's wheel base can handle it (though obviously the longer Tundra would be preferable in that sense).
I've towed a 16 foot scamp (2000 lbs), a 19 foot airstream (2400 lbs) and a 26 foot airstream (3800 lbs). I prefer towing with the Touareg with the smaller trailers and while I've towed the 26 footer with the vw, it's not comfortable. The weight is no issue but the wheel base makes towing in high winds in my part of the world uncomfortable.

My Touareg is a 2008 and newer ones are much lighter weight - I imagine this might change road feel. For me the deal breakers would be cost of the rig and the additional stuff you might want to pack that would traditionally go in your Tow Rig.

Do you carry fire wood, generators (and fuel) propane stoves or fires, inner tubes, dogs, kids, wet or muddy stuff, fishing gear, kayaks, bikes, etc? Some of these items are better in the bed of a truck. Otoh, the Kayak is better on the Touareg. Lots to consider.....
Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Registry
Some other thoughts.... The Touareg and ML both have some limitations on tongue weight - BE SURE to check these numbers. The Hensley hitch is heavy so if you go this route I strongly urge you to consider an Anderson to cut down on weight.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #8

Utah
It looks like the Toureg has about a 700 lb tongue weight (some say 616 some say 770). The dry weight of my trailer is about 3800 lbs. So even if we presume 5500 lbs (which I am sure it isn't even loaded and wet), it would be below the tongue weight and towing capacity. I do currently have a sway control hitch on the trailer, though it is not a Hensley. I imagine that my tongue weight is on the heavy side, but not out of bounds.

But not being able to just throw stuff in the back is a big downside. I do expect to haul firewood etc. hmmm.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
MC1

Ontario
Quote:

But not being able to just throw stuff in the back is a big downside. I do expect to haul firewood etc. hmmm.
SUV vs pick ups..... There are down sides and upsides to both. Need to think about the priorities and go from there.

Janet is right about the weight of the Hensley. It is roughly 75lbs heavier than a traditional WDH. That adds about an average of 10lbs more per tire on an 8 tire combination.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Just a short note. We also considered carefully what to tow with and settled on our 2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee. It is splitting hairs between these three vehicles. The one thing we have found is that is is harder to find knowledgable repair people since not too many are arround. So far it hasn't been a problem.

Ron
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
MC1

Ontario
When you see vids like this you can see the advanced technology and very rigid structure on these high end vehicles. It all adds up to positives when used as a TV. To bad they cost so much.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #12

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
we did tow our Hunter-1 with our Mercedes E320 wagon.
In comfort and with no problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Might want to also consider the Porsche Cayenne diesel. That and other short wheel base vehicles with a Hensley make a nice combination.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
What year E320? Wondering what you used for a hitch? Ours is not rated for towing on this side of the big pond, yet is comfortably rated to pull either trailer in Europe where it was made. Our Benz trained mechanic thinks that's nuts and said he'd install a hitch.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
MC1

Ontario
Same with the older big body Benz's yet they made great TV's.
Attached Thumbnails
mercedes mount fuji.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
What year E320? Wondering what you used for a hitch? Ours is not rated for towing on this side of the big pond, yet is comfortably rated to pull either trailer in Europe where it was made. Our Benz trained mechanic thinks that's nuts and said he'd install a hitch.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Helite
Anyone know where one could get a hitch put on a Mercedes Maybach?
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Either of those SUVs should do well with a 21' Bigfoot. Also the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee would handle the Bigfoot, with either the 5.7L V8 or the EcoDiesel.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Art said: Anyone know where one could get a hitch put on a Mercedes Maybach?

Do you travel with Grey Pupon?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote