Pulling your "Tiny House"! Appearances Can Be Deceiving! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Pulling your "Tiny House"! Appearances Can Be Deceiving!

vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
What he really needs is a small fg trailer behind that car of course I would suggest a HC1
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Why not a tent?!?! Seriously, tent camping in heavy wind with a blown over tent forcing us to sleep in the back of our station wagon was what drove us to a trailer...the window set up is highly awkward to use, from only four Windows most up front to the fact that they angle "in" as they go up making rain very inconvenient. Not to mention that automatic windows are unmovable without a key!!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I camped in the back of a Subaru station wagon for a number of years before marriage and family. Sadly, station wagons have fallen out of favor, and most compact SUVs are too short to sleep in. Minivans are great, but they, too, are falling out of favor.

I agree that windows are a bit of a problem. In addition to requiring a key to operate and allowing rain to come in, they lack screens. Like anything, with planning and a little creativity, it can work. For one. Maybe two in a minivan.

He didn't mention the challenges of dressing and undressing from a prone position… Been there, done that. No more!

I commend the desire to live, and travel, with less. For me, for now, with a family of four and a bad back, that's a Scamp 13.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Oddly enough, I commend the desire to live large and applaud the popularity of large vehicles and bulgemobile RVs. Big houses are also a great idea!
I enjoy living in a country where some folks can have fuel guzzling yachts and forty foot motorhomes and 4WD trucks along with luxury cars and mansions.
As long as someone supplies small cars and small fiberglass RVs, which has become a problem in a country where small trucks are no longer available for example.
Point is...
It is the contrast from the norm which makes economy cars and small RVs actually economical. When all cars are tiny and fuel efficient, then the price of fuel/tax will rise. Parking spaces will shrink, etc. When all houses are tiny, then the price will rise and taxes will too.
This would also denigrate the joy and smugness of being the only "responsible" person amidst a Bacchanalian majority.

It is the very existence of conspicuous consumption which reveals the advantages of penurious behavior and enhances the actual savings.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Tents & Station wagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Why not a tent?!?! Seriously, tent camping in heavy wind with a blown over tent forcing us to sleep in the back of our station wagon was what drove us to a trailer...
This past Memorial weekend, out tent camping at Jordan Lake (NC) we had flooding rains fueled by a hurricane pushing inland. I had the tent positioned well, and no water leakage... but definitely a challenge, as three dry creeks became active through our campground.

Luckily the wind was not bad, so just a steady dump of rain, but occasionally enough of a gust would shake the upper level of the trees - dropping large tree limbs. I could only imagine if one hit the tent with me and the kids inside. Has me researching a Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I camped in the back of a Subaru station wagon for a number of years before marriage and family. Sadly, station wagons have fallen out of favor, and most compact SUVs are too short to sleep in. Minivans are great, but they, too, are falling out of favor.
I have a small station wagon. Sat on the dealers lot (new) for almost two years, the sales manager begged me to take it. So it's sad to see so few station wagons out there. I'm probably the only guy to love my Ford Windstar, had it for over a decade - finally the repair costs were too much, and I traded it for the station wagon. Miss that van.

I guess there are too few of us with the desire for a full size station wagon or the bloated station wagon, a mini-van Great, practical vehicles.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Oddly enough, I commend the desire to live large and applaud the popularity of large vehicles and bulgemobile RVs...
Point is...
It is the contrast from the norm which makes economy cars and small RVs actually economical...
I agree. Happy to scoop up, what was considered by the auto reviewers and consumers, an ugly Station Wagon.

Those single person giant SUV commuters helps a guy like me out
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I love my VW Jetta Sportwagen.
I tow our 16' Scamp with it and get 25 - 28 mpg. towing and 40 not.
Of course the engine is too good to be true, but so far so good.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

North Carolina
Tiny House tow vehicle

"On the Tiny House TV shows I haven't seen any mention of the logistics of it, like how do you move it, is it over height, how and where do the electric and water and sewer systems connect." - Bob

Hey Bob, one of the first tiny house companies (Tumbleweed Tiny Houses) now designs and creates tiny houses that are within RV code requirements.

There is a Tiny House (RV) village set up in Oregon, by a RV Park Company (Thousand Trails) to hopefully start parks for tiny houses.

Tumbleweed and Thousand Trails are working together to grow this business. Whether it takes off, is to be seen.

And my question with tiny houses as always been, I recognize the environmental conscious designs that go into the homes - but what about the giant tow vehicle you need to move it?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
It is the very existence of conspicuous consumption which reveals the advantages of penurious behavior and enhances the actual savings.
Ah Ya.

What he said!

Describes me to a T!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Oddly enough, I commend the desire to live large and applaud the popularity of large vehicles and bulgemobile RVs. Big houses are also a great idea!
I enjoy living in a country where some folks can have fuel guzzling yachts and forty foot motorhomes and 4WD trucks along with luxury cars and mansions.
As long as someone supplies small cars and small fiberglass RVs, which has become a problem in a country where small trucks are no longer available for example.
Point is...
It is the contrast from the norm which makes economy cars and small RVs actually economical. When all cars are tiny and fuel efficient, then the price of fuel/tax will rise. Parking spaces will shrink, etc. When all houses are tiny, then the price will rise and taxes will too.
This would also denigrate the joy and smugness of being the only "responsible" person amidst a Bacchanalian majority.

Wickedly funny, Floyd, and perversely true!

Does self-awareness of one's smugness make it less smug? Or less annoying?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin