Purchasing a Canadian RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
I think there is an issue with newer Bigfoots which were manufactured before the company shut down and then started up again. My understanding is they may not have the DOT sticker and the new company will not give a letter for them as they did not make them.
As David said with Trilliums,Bolers and older Bigfoots you will be fine.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #16

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Fran,
I have been looking at three different brands; Trillium, Boler and Bigfoot. They all appear to be good campers. I am still reading about them and still getting information about them. I have looked at the Escapes, but they are a little out of my budget at present. But, you never know when the right one will pop up for sale.
Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Carl,
My only experience is with Scamps and Escapes. We sold our 19' Scamp and got our 5.0 Escape Classic (used). We liked our Scamp a lot but there were things we liked better in the Escape (height - husband is 6'2", no rivets, updated infrastructure, solar) We are very happy with our Escape but lots of folks are also very happy with their Scamps.
Keep your eyes open for used ones on fiberglassrv classifieds and the Escapeforum classifieds....you might get lucky!
Best wishes in your search!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I think there is an issue with newer Bigfoots which were manufactured before the company shut down and then started up again. My understanding is they may not have the DOT sticker and the new company will not give a letter for them as they did not make them.
As David said with Trilliums,Bolers and older Bigfoots you will be fine.
The main reason the new Bigfoot ownerships can not issue a DOT Compliance Letter is due to fire that destroyed most of the paper work of the original company. So legally they are unable to write a compliance letter for a trailer they have no build info on.

Thats not to say that a Bigfoot newer than 25 years but built prior to the current company ownership would not pass an inspection to obtain a US DOT sticker if it does not in fact already have one, as the previous Bigfoot company also sold a large number of their trailers into the US and like Escape built them to be compliant on both sides of the border.

If its one of the newer Trilliums built in Calgary prior to the name change to Outback you should still be able to obtain a DOT Compliance Letter from Triliumtrailers.com in Calgary. But give them a call and confirm that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am guessing that the Bigfoot trailers that were built before the fire that are less then 25 years old are kinda rare. When was the fire?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am guessing that the Bigfoot trailers that were built before the fire that are less then 25 years old are kinda rare. When was the fire?
Nope here are lots of Bigfoot trailers out there less than 25 years old that where built prior to the original company closing its doors late in 2008 due to market crash. The fire took place while original company was shut down in Nov of 2008 and reopened under new ownership (employees of the original company) in 2010 - the fire as I understand it was at the warehouse where all the paper work for the original company was being stored.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote