purchasing/carrying bicycles, what kind is best/carry inside camper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
Mike, have you published instructions on how to make that bike rack?

The only problem with your bike rack is that I would have to take the camper along to ride my bike! Thinking about the folding variety, but my husband wouldn't want a pretend bike. Your kind of rack seems to be the right choice for us.

Nancy
My wife is 5 2. We have [b]2002 Giant Sedona DS Bicycles (no longer made), cost about $350 each. Full suspension front and rear with gel seats and 24 speeds - 3 front gears, 8 back gears. Lori has a 15.5 and I have a 17. Very comfortable, easy ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SedonaDS.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5489

You can see better detail of how I made the [b]bike rack here.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Some things to consider about carrying non-folding bikes outside. Road rash! Road dirt and grime is very hard on the mechanisms...derailers, brakes, cables, etc. Theft! If "they" can see it, you'd better secure it!

Carrying a bike inside solves those two issues, but creates a new one...you've got to remove the bike before you can use the trailer. Is that a problem?

Here's a couple of pictures I've had for a while that may give you some other ideas.

Name:	InsideBikeRake_1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5490

Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRake_2.jpg   InsideBikeRake_3.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Roger, Your wife doesn't happen to be 5'1" does she? Would like to know how that Giant Halfway adjusts for a short person. It weighs 3 pounds more, has a couple more gears than the one I am looking at but maybe it would be better. Also $100 less. Not sure if some of the folding bikes have handle bars that go down. I have this vision of me having my arms up above my shoulders! The Halfway appears to be adjustable.

Did you buy that in the midwest? Know of a place to see them?

Thanks, Nancy

Nancy, I'm 6'5" tall and I used the Halfway before Laurie got it. She's 5'6" and there's still PLENTY of down-ward adjustment. She has also had a hip replacement, and it's easy for her to get over the top bar. Every local Giant bike dealer carries them, or can get you one.

Now regarding your hubby's desire to have a "real" bike, and a folder just won't do, let me turn you on to THIS folder from Bike Friday. I have an "original" triangle-style Bike Friday as well as a couple of "full size" bikes. I seldom ride anything BUT my Bike Friday any more. It's going to get a complete rebuild and component re-fit this winter. I recently bought mine from a professor in Minneapolis, and now understand Bike Friday owners' fierce brand loyalty. It's just a top-flite product. Sorta like fiberglass trailers! They range new from $698 and pretty much the sky's the limit, but there are lots of used ones out there too.

This "used" one's on my Christmas list, and it's EXACTLY my size, but at $2,290, I'm sure it'll end up under someone else's tree:

Pocket Llama WhoGnu full suspension Bike Friday mountain bike with Shimano Ulegra components

From the Bike Friday used bike site:

[quote]Pre-owned Bike Friday detail

2006 Pocket Llama #15455 (Who Gnu Ultegra/LX 27)

Frame model 2006 Pocket Llama
Notes Virtually new with front fork and seatpost suspension. Bike Friday pre-owned bicycles are available to customers in the lower 48 United States only. Each of our bikes is carefully checked over before shipment. If a problem is found with the existing components they will be replaced with comparable or better components.
Pre-owned price $2,290.00 (Closest new bike price: $2,710.00)
Color Cream soda blue
Overall condition Excellent
Paint condition Like new
Maximum rider's weight 220 lbs. (99kg) maximum
Frame size (crank center
to seat tube top) 62.0cm (24.41 inches)
Top tube length (effective) 60.0cm (23.62 inches)
Stem information fitted for buyer

Virtually new with front fork and seatpost suspension. Bike Friday pre-owned bicycles are available to customers in the lower 48 United States only. Each of our bikes is carefully checked over before shipment. If a problem is found with the existing components they will be replaced with comparable or better components.
Components Click here to view.
Warranty Bike Friday pre-owned bicycle limited lifetime warranty.

Name:	whognu.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5493

Roger
Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
A couple of other considerations about folding bikes is that they can go with you in the car or pickup to your touring destinations, and stay safely locked inside if you decide you don't want to ride. Also, they aren't exposed to the elements during transport, and can be locked in the tow vehicle OR the trailer with you at night.

A good folding bike has every bit of the ride of a "full size" bike. Do a little research on-line. You'll find out some very interesting things about folders.

Roger
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Here's my rack on the tongue of my Burro.

Name:	Burro_bike_rack_1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	5495