Pushing a fiberglass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
I bought a trailer mover/dolly from Princess Auto for about $40 on sale. I have a truck so I throw it in the back every time I go camping. My surfside is really easy to park with the dolly that I often just drop the trailer right in front of the spot and put it where I want it using the dolly. Especially in tight camp grounds. Way faster than trying to get it in the spot with my truck.
Wade, just a word of caution about that (cheap dolly) ....
We have two of them BOTH bought at P.A. out here on the Best Coast. There is a big difference in the two. The first one was on sale for around $90 so I bought it. A year or two later, read this spring, I bought another one. A SCREAMING deal at about $40!!!

This spring, after building the cheapo one and airing up the tires ad installing a ball we FINALLY got to use it. On about the third or forth tug on it, pulling around in a tight circle, I noticed something was odd with one of the wheels..... Turns out I had pulled too hard (for the quality of the wheel anyway) and bent one of the wheels!!!

Closer comparison of the two (dollys) showed a difference in dolly axle width.
Wheel construction .....older one is a one piece wheel (cheapo wheel is a two piece bolt together unit, no bearing OR grease fitting) with a bearing AND a grease nipple)
Yet another difference is that the newer (cheaper one) has smaller diameter wheels n tires which makes it just a little harder to move the trailer around with.

So, a word of caution, IF you can return and or exchange it (P.A. is usually REAL good at return policy) for better (prolly more $$ too) version, I'd do it IF I were you. Otherwise be real (gentle) CAREFUL how you pull on that l'il sucker!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Surfside
Quote:
Wade, just a word of caution about that (cheap dolly) ....
We have two of them BOTH bought at P.A. out here on the Best Coast. There is a big difference in the two. The first one was on sale for around $90 so I bought it. A year or two later, read this spring, I bought another one. A SCREAMING deal at about $40!!!

This spring, after building the cheapo one and airing up the tires ad installing a ball we FINALLY got to use it. On about the third or forth tug on it, pulling around in a tight circle, I noticed something was odd with one of the wheels..... Turns out I had pulled too hard (for the quality of the wheel anyway) and bent one of the wheels!!!

Closer comparison of the two (dollys) showed a difference in dolly axle width.
Wheel construction .....older one is a one piece wheel (cheapo wheel is a two piece bolt together unit, no bearing OR grease fitting) with a bearing AND a grease nipple)
Yet another difference is that the newer (cheaper one) has smaller diameter wheels n tires which makes it just a little harder to move the trailer around with.

So, a word of caution, IF you can return and or exchange it (P.A. is usually REAL good at return policy) for better (prolly more $$ too) version, I'd do it IF I were you. Otherwise be real (gentle) CAREFUL how you pull on that l'il sucker!!!
Thanks for the heads up. Mine seems pretty solid. I have only used it a few times though. Seems okay so far. I'll keep an eye on it.

**** GO RIDERS!! ****

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We purchased a QuikWheel EZ Hitch .. You turn the crank to move the trailer. It works great.
It's pricey but it sure makes backing our trailer around a bend into the yard. Not recommended to use on an incline.

Here's a video. http://www.quikwheel.com/Video/pw/video.asp

===========

Not recommending that you buy, only letting you know that we do own it and we like it.