Put that camping telescope to use! - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Put that camping telescope to use!

The Draconids will peak 10/8/16. They are that rare bird, a meteor shower visible shortly after sundown! I HOPE we aren't fighting off a hurricane then!
The Orionids (sp?) will peak 10/20, 21 of 2016.
11/05/16 South Taurids-after midnight- noted for a number of fireballs during this shower. Dark skies and early setting moon will make this very visible.
11/11+12, North taurids
11/17, from 12:01 AM till Dawn the Leonids. I saw the record setting 1966 shower- I could hear the hiss of the blue fireballs crossing the sky. I understand that after I fell asleep there were actually thousands visible per hour.
December 13-15 the Geminids will battle the light of a full moon.
December 22 the ursids.

January 3 late night early am Jan 4 2017 the Quadrantids. This have a very short peak of a few hours. I will never forget taking my grandchildren outside all wrapped up to see them and we saw NOTHING up in the sky- we finally looked down- and saw them falling UP from the horizon and blinking out very shortly thereafter- before they had crossed 20% of the sky.
More information can be found at www.earthsky.org

Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
There is an app "SkyView" that is free and you can point iPad or phone toward and help help identify if you are interested.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Eric the Viking your worst nightmare is about to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
The Draconids will peak 10/8/16. They are that rare bird, a meteor shower visible shortly after sundown! I HOPE we aren't fighting off a hurricane then!
The Orionids (sp?) will peak 10/20, 21 of 2016.
11/05/16 South Taurids-after midnight- noted for a number of fireballs during this shower. Dark skies and early setting moon will make this very visible.
11/11+12, North taurids
11/17, from 12:01 AM till Dawn the Leonids. I saw the record setting 1966 shower- I could hear the hiss of the blue fireballs crossing the sky. I understand that after I fell asleep there were actually thousands visible per hour.
December 13-15 the Geminids will battle the light of a full moon.
December 22 the ursids.

January 3 late night early am Jan 4 2017 the Quadrantids. This have a very short peak of a few hours. I will never forget taking my grandchildren outside all wrapped up to see them and we saw NOTHING up in the sky- we finally looked down- and saw them falling UP from the horizon and blinking out very shortly thereafter- before they had crossed 20% of the sky.
More information can be found at www.earthsky.org
:I just hope you live up on the North west of FLorida because Mathew looks pretty mean on our radar when they show it on TV, might even make it to Nova Scotia were our friends live.
The other problem are those huge snakes that live down on the southern tip of FLorida in the Everglades if they get picked up and live through it all who knows where they will end up. We have friends right along the shore in Georgia and I hope they battened down the hatches and loaded the horses and them selves up and headed to high ground.
Stude
Old 10-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Wow! That's exciting! I'm sure you read my topic on buying a camping telescope. Now I need to hurry and decide on which one. Thanks!
Marky

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
A telescope or a pair of binoculars won't do much good for a meteor shower as you don't know where they will appear and they travel too fast to track.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Marky, just find a dark place out of town and sit in a nice zero gravity lounger, looking NW and up about 50-60 degrees.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
A telescope or a pair of binoculars won't do much good for a meteor shower as you don't know where they will appear and they travel too fast to track.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
:
Stude
Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
We're all right. Lots of litter- downed branches, and short power outages. Worried about the flooding in Fayteville, NC and very glad DGS transferred from a college I Charleston, SC to near Atlanta.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #9

Texas
Zero gravity lounge chair it is. Thanks!
Marky

Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hey Marky, just a thought but have you looked into maybe renting a few different scopes to see what will work for you?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #11

Texas
Dave, I went to a local star gazing event and looked through most of the telescopes and asked all the questions I could. I think I'm going to get the Celestron 31042 AstroMaster 114 EQ Reflector Telescope. I could see Saturns rings, the moons craters, Jupiter and also use it for terrestrial viewing, It's not as good as some of the others, but for the price, size and for occasional use, it seems to be good enough for us. We just don't want to buy something and use it once or twice and put it in the closet next to my Weber gas grill (I'm a charcoal guy). I also didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Thanks everyone,
Marky