Quality Construction/Materials - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My silly memory is fading fast but Finally found it since it was two years ago. The site is still up so just scroll to the bottom and look at the dark seam. appears Quite a large area that was the leak and a good look at construction for the original poster. Take care.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Many "Thanks" once again! My wife has issues with the carpeted headliner on the Casita (concerned about dirty, dusty camp kids soiling it, etc.). Maybe it's not a big deal. Trilliums look to be too small for our family. I've got my eye on this one, looks real nice and is close by:

2009 Escape 17B

I plan to go and check her out real soon!

SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

Thanks for the link. That definitely showed a leak at the seam-between-the-halves. Either poor quality control when fiberglassing (probably), or something drilled in by a previous owner (hard to imagine what, in that spot, but we don't know).

I still wouldn't blame the very fact of two-halved construction. My boat was built in two halves (right and left), and it has not leaked there in over 40 years -- and that seam lives underwater!. A proper fiberglass tabbing bond (to my mind), is as good as one piece (after all, even a single shell consists of layers of fiberglass cloth, so if they did not bond you'd have, like, four campers in one )

I don't think that seaming together in the mold vs. seaming together out of the mold would make a difference on this*, but I do think quality control makes a huge difference (and, as I said before, seaming together while in the mold would probably tend to produce a smoother line, although that is not really important on a Boler/clone, due to the way the halves go together and the style of the belly band - as long as things aren't too far off).

Luckily, in an older unit, you have a good chance of finding out about this sort of thing before you buy.

Finding good fiberglass workers is a challenge as the job is smelly, toxic, and not "crafty" like, say, carpentry is (in perception anyway).

Thanks again for the link.

*That said, if they do it quick enough to have a chemical bond vs. a secondary bond, then I do think it would be somewhat superior. Although, a good secondary bond should be adequate for the stresses of a trailer. A good secondary bond. I guess I'm back to quality control.

PS: I had to stop reading when he siliconed the belly band , although it was a really nice job on the fiberglass repair.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I get the impression from reading about belly band leaks on Boler, Casita and Scamp trailers is that they are generally where the rivet holes have been drilled incorrectly to hold on the aluminum trim band. Sad that a cosmetic application results in floor damage...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
There is a current post whose subject relates to concerns about carpet on ceiling & walls. The discussion may put to rest your wife's objections
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
My wife has issues with the carpeted headliner on the Casita (concerned about dirty, dusty camp kids soiling it, etc.).

Just a suggestion........ Wash the kids BEFORE you put them in the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Well, we've decided to go with the Escape from the previous post:

Escape 17' Plan B

I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks again for all of the input and great advice!

SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote