Quartzite and Oliver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I recently boondocked for a few days at Quartzite AZ -- on my way to Hatch NM. I had a chance to visit the Oliver show and take a snapshot or two.
My over all impression of the Oliver is CLASS! FIRST class!! A simply gorgeous Faberge egg. I can't say a single thing bad about those beauties. That is not saying much because the pimple-less design would win over anyone like me who hates the looks of ugly rivets but regardless, the inside/outide finish is five star.
Of course the price... what to say about the price?
She said, "This one is $50,000 [the 21] but we can get you into one for $30,000 [the 17]".
I said thinking aloud, "That is two or three new Casitas".
She said, "But look what you would have!!" and then she quietly stepped outside I presume to look for someone of class. As I said I was just thinking out loud. Didn't mean to step on her toes.
I took some shots and posted them on
pbase
Click on Quartzite

Cheers

PS... The Quartzite experience is unique. The colors and the dusty vendors. Jamaica meets the Great Unwashed at the swap meet.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
She said, "This one is $50,000 [the 21] but we can get you into one for $30,000 [the 17]".
Is this the "[b]Buy One, Get One Free" deal like I saw advertised at the local Chevy dealer?

Otherwise, I'll just wait until my BailOut money arrives from D.C.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
My over all impression of the Oliver is CLASS! FIRST class!! [b]A simply gorgeous Faberge egg.
I don't think Faberge worked cheap, either.

<sigh> When it was brand new back in the 1970's, I believe the Fiber Stream probably was the Oliver of it's time. I definitely could not have afforded a new one then. I could not afford anything new then. Remember Stagflation?

But that only guided me to appreciate the older surviving things in life. I managed to acquire a Fiber Stream now, and I believe I appreciate it more now than I would have then. I'm a surviving older thing myself.

Escalades cost more than Tahoes. Ollivers cost more than Casitas. That's just the way it is.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
As I said [b]I was just thinking out loud. Didn't mean to step on her toes.
It may be just me, but I think she's trying to walk on hurting feet. I'm glad I'm not in her shoes.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I said thinking aloud, "That is two or three new Casitas".
Don't get me wrong, I have had two new Casitas and would buy another. They make a good trailer, not a perfect trailer.

Each time I ordered my Casitas, I asked to have 3 extra 12v plugs added, and 3 extra 110v plugs added. They told me they couldn't do what I asked. I told them it was for my medical needs for a CPAP at night. Still no help. Price was not a consideration. After buying the Casitas, I added the outlets myself.

Try to get a Satellite TV system added by Casita, try to get hydraulic leveling added by Casita, try to get built-in tilt down TV with surround sound, or try to get a 22' trailer with tandem axles, it just isn't going to happen.

Oliver is making a High-end trailer with lots of options and upgrades. Obviously they are showing off ALL the Bells and Whistles they offer. You can pick and choose what you want or NOT. With ALL the stuff added on this larger trailer, it has to cost more. Last year, Bigfoot was asking $45,000 US list price without any of those options.

I am glad to see new and innovative Fiberglass RV manufacturers throwing their hat in the ring trying to find a niche and getting their market share. Maybe all those JUMBO 5th wheel owners who paid $150,000 for their custom made Automates or what ever, will reconsider the more usable and economical to tow and use Oliver Fiberglass RV.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Our thinking is simple....
"If your lucky enough to own any RV - Class A Bus
Class B Van
Class C Motorhome
Pull Behind Trailer
5th Wheel
Tent Trailer
Tent
"Your lucky enough!"
Personally we think- any of the
"Fiberglass Trailers- Rocks On!"

The Oliver Road Crew
Pam Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
All that molded FG would be easy to wipe down, BUT, it was like looking into the back of an ambulance...'Sterile'.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
The fellow looking in the trash, just wondering about the dog tag around his neck. Returning soldier? Or-----?
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The fellow looking in the trash, just wondering about the dog tag around his neck. Returning soldier? Or-----?
I'm not sure. here is a blow up of the tag. Is that military?
Attached Thumbnails
tag.jpg  
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #10

Registry
Talking

Quote:
BUT, it was like looking into the back of an ambulance...'Sterile'.
I prefer to think of it as resembling a starship...
"To Infinity, and Beyond!"
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:
That does not look like Government Issue stamped aluminum (with raised lettering like on a credit card, and folded-over edges) like mine from the Vietnam Era, although it could be: depending on the pixelation of the photo enlargement...

I know anyone can buy smooth stainless steel ones that can be engraved...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
James Kent said: "All that molded FG would be easy to wipe down, BUT, it was like looking into the back of an ambulance...'Sterile'."

For those of us with grandchildren that have respiratory problems, "sterile" is a wonderful thing . . .

Pete
'08 Oliver Legacy Elite
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

I just went to look at my sons dog tags from about four years ago and the stamping leaves it's marks in reverse on the backside so i would tend to think it's not military......maybe the older ones where different.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
James Kent said: "All that molded FG would be easy to wipe down, BUT, it was like looking into the back of an ambulance...'Sterile'."

For those of us with grandchildren that have respiratory problems, "sterile" is a wonderful thing . . .

Pete
'08 Oliver Legacy Elite
And for those of us with allergies! If I had the $$ I would buy one, and that is one of the reasons.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I can't wait to see them at the Quartzsite gathering, although I would be a looky-loo. I'd consider the Olivers as several people have stated as appealing to the "luxury market" of which I'm not a part of. I still enjoy looking at them though and may pick up a few ideas for some "luxury mods" for my egg.

Still a little confused if they are going to attend the Quartzsite gathering with the Olivers or will just be in town like last year.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
The more fiberglass on the road the better! How great that there are other options for people! My son and I both had very nice sit-down-and-visit's with Mrs. Oliver at the OG and I found her to be very gracious. I'm impressed by how the company is willing to bend over backwards to accommodate you (as will Escape), and I absolutely LOVED the Route 66 fabric! Only wish I could recover the cushions in my Casita with it. It is a bit on the sterile side (which many would consider "modern"), and I can imagine how great it must be for those with allergies--and so easy to clean!

I doubt I'll ever part with my Casita, but I know it's not for everyone. With the new manufacturers out there, maybe there will someday be a FGRV for everyone!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Ron,
That's a wonderful photo of your trailer on the home page! Truly stunning. Makes me wish we had gone to Quartzite....

And, thanks for posting the photos of the Oliver interiors. I haven't seen the new 22 in person yet.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Having a Burro, and a big white interior, I can attest to the ease of cleaning. The other thing I like about it is that it does not really feel like a "camper". It's hard to explain. I like it, and with THREE dogs now, i appreciate it even more.

ALL white is a bit much, I added some subtle trim, bamboo strips, to the upper and lower edges of my cupboard doors just to break it up. It still retains the brightness, but is not like being inside a refrigerator.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Not a military dog tag. Military has two tags, one on a large chain and another on a small chain. The one in the picture is attached to the chain by small split ring. Military tags have the chain running through the hole.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
You're the bees knees Patrick Mc !! Thank you so much for identifying that tag. I personally have never seen tags first hand so I appreciate your explanation. Bonnie, in Port Hardy
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver