quartzite questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
quartzite questions

OK I am looking for some experts we are going to hit quartzite in feb for the big egg rally!

I want to go primitive but I have no potty I want a waterless potty. how about one of those tents thingees for our single holer!

how much water do we round up? where do we get all this water?

Now to convince the wifey to go this primitive but she grew up with a 2 holer in the backyard might not be all that difficult!

do you think she can hold up to 2 weeks of this? So many decisions to make!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I had some of the same problems when I went several years ago. I ended up staying at Cactus Gardens in the non-hookup area. There's a building that the office is in that has laundry, showers, and rest rooms. There's also water near the door to the laundry, showers, and rest rooms.

Many of the questions you asked only you can answer.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
The rally in February is held at the Dome Rock area. There are no provisions for camping other than an open area to camp. It is 4 miles from the town of Quartzsite where water is available for a nominal fee. There are always trailers there that don't have bathroom facilities and they use a variety of means to do their bathroom business ranging from a Lug-A-Loo (toilet in a bucket) to porta potties. You will no doubt have to dispose of the waste at least a couple of times during a 2 week stay. There are dump stations in town and a landfill dump that is open 3 or 4 days a week within 7 miles of the rally site. Good luck convincing wifey and hopefully we will see you there.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Missouri
larry

well I think we can do it. too bad there aren't portapotties but I guess no one would want to chip in.

I think the funny tent with a single holer out there might be the logical answer you know. or I have a hospital single holer dig a hole take the bucket out and have it!

when moving out just shovel the dirt back in! oh anyone have a sears catalog?

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Bob - Digging a hole at the area where the rally is might be very difficult as it is all stone. I would suggest some form of portable waste collection and then empty in town.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Missouri
larry larry

dynamite?

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Hmmm might be effective, just let me know in advance and i'll watch from a distance.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you are camping in a BLM LTVA area, you must be self contained (10 gal black water) or stay within 500 feet of a pit toilet facility. Porta Poti's do not qualify. I'm not sure if Dome Rock is considered part of this or not. I know some Dome Rock users are not self contained, but they may not be in compliance.

17. Self-Contained Vehicles
a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Springs LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault or rest room.
b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

You might be OK at dome rock
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
There is a rest area on I10 about 5 mi west of Dome Rock with flush toilets and free potable for filling water tanks. A Loves travel Center about 3 mi east of Dome Rock on the way into Quartzsite has toilets (maybe showers too) but not potable water. There are a few places around Q that sell potable water for 25 cents a gallon.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Dome rock area is not LTVA it is 14 days. The Quartzsite LTVA is just south of town off the main highway. They have built in restrooms there for the people staying there. We use a small porta potty and dump it every 2 days. You could bring a larger blue tote and dump the porta potty in that and then take that to dump it at the dump station on the way to refuse center. You could use the dry type potty with the disposable bags and take them out to the refuse center on the north side of town. Getting water is not a problem. Quartzsite is a town use to handling RVers. summer there is about 1000 people, in the winter there is close to 100,000 in its hey days. With all these RV's its all manageable.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #11

Missouri
thanks

thanks for all the tips I am getting good ones. What about this I just tool there and figure out things. I like the loves truck stop idea may give us a boondock base!

I was just kidding on the dynamite how about jack hammers would that be ok do you think? If my friend jon gets on here I can probably get filled in as to what to do!

I am getting cranked up to go as time gets nearer I will get names and addresses of all you charactors that will be there! I hope to do some freeloading on the food also!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

Missouri
jack what about this I have no bathroom can I sort of half board with you? you know borrow your bathroom and showers!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #13

Missouri
posthole diggers?

bob
Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Nothing wrong with having a little pyramid tent as an outhouse. It will double as a shower tent. For a toilet, a 5 gallon bucket with seat ring https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...ds=porta+potty can work, just put in two trash bags (in case one leaks) and cover up the byproducts with kitty litter or sawdust.

Or get one of these porta potty units and add some water for flushing... https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Portabl...ta+potty+camco

A few years back, someone had a Scamp for sale that had been modified with 2 holes in the floor, for ice fishing. If you had that unit, you could just go through the hole and then move to a new site before anyone got wise.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The least expensive showers are at the Laundromat on Main St - $7.00 & they supply towels, wash cloth, soap & shampoo. It is great to get a full sized shower while your laundry dries.

I've stayed in the LTVAs for the last two winters (dry camped for 91 days straight), and appreciate the access to their dump station, dumpsters & fresh water. $180.00 for the season (7 months) or $40.00 per 2 weeks, repeatable as often as you wish.

As mentioned, Dome Rock is a free 14 day BLM area, however has no access to services, and you must leave for a month before you can repeat the 14 day stay.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem with wanting to join the gathering at Dome Rock and not being self contained, and then needing to stay in town to get those services.. is you would need to drive 4-5 miles to use the restroom. Every. single. time. If you were staying for 8 days and made that round trip 4 times a day, that's 32 trips. Oh my! If you get a "shower" tent, be sure to stake it down well. I understand the winds can be quite blustery at Dome Rock and you don't want that tent to lift up and blow away... at an "inopportune" time
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #17

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The problem with wanting to join the gathering at Dome Rock and not being self contained, and then needing to stay in town to get those services.. is you would need to drive 4-5 miles to use the restroom. Every. single. time. If you were staying for 8 days and made that round trip 4 times a day, that's 32 trips. Oh my! If you get a "shower" tent, be sure to stake it down well. I understand the winds can be quite blustery at Dome Rock and you don't want that tent to lift up and blow away... at an "inopportune" time
If they have a floor, you go with it!. Guess none of them do.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have the 4x4 pop up with a porta potty. The pop up does have a floor but it's not attached to the sides. I suspect, you would have to use very good anchors out there to prevent it from turning into a kite at a very inappropriate time. Of course you could also zip tie corners and go for a ride.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #19

Missouri
dave that is funny well sounds like our bathroom predickament is just that. well keep posting posters until I get it figured out. We may have some fun with this I still think now my dynamite is the best answer. Say a 5x5 area we could throw up an 8 holer with that!

bob
Old 10-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
dave that is funny well sounds like our bathroom predickament is just that. well keep posting posters until I get it figured out. We may have some fun with this I still think now my dynamite is the best answer. Say a 5x5 area we could throw up an 8 holer with that!

bob
I suspect the BLM might object to dynamite. Since they get picky by requiring 10 gallon blackwater tanks (my Scamp's is only 8) I expect they will limit the quantity of explosives too.

Or you could just sweat a lot and avoid other waste disposal techniques.

John

Pic of Jumbo Rocks Campground at Joshua Tree National Park
Attached Thumbnails
2014 trip west pics 6.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote