Queen-size bed: Modifying a Scamp/Casita or buying something else. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Queen-size bed: Modifying a Scamp/Casita or buying something else.

My wife and I found that the 48" standard bed width in a Scamp was too narrow for us, and the wider 53" version in some deluxe Scamps is unlikely to be right, either. A queen size mattress is 60" wide, and I'm sure that would be fine. So, how to get there? We're new to this, and would like the option to hop back out of RVing if we're not getting a lot of use out of the trailer. I'd appreciate any recommendations. We do want a lightweight trailer with shower/pot. Options I've considered:
1) Buy a trailer with a wide enough bed (ParkLiner, Lil Snoozy--others?). Good: Once bought, we're ready to travel. Bad: These trailers are relatively few in number and hard to find. With ParkLiner's turbulent past/present, I'd be wondering about resale value if we decide to sell in a couple of years. None of these trailers is as well known as Scamp/Casita, and I'd guess that means they may take longer to sell.
2) Modify a 16' Scamp or Casita. I'm handy and wouldn't mind giving this a fling if the downside wasn't too scary (i.e. no danger of structural failure, and probably with a well-used trailer that needed other work anyway). Cut 12" out of the base of the closet, and modify the kitchen area similarly (brace roof, scoot base cabinet). Any thoughts on the practicality of this modification? Use deluxe (wood cabinets) or standard Scamp (FG cabinets)? Impact on resale value?
3) Buy a small, used, lightweight stick-built trailer: I know--uggh. But they come with available wider beds and more room generally than a 16'/17' FGRV, and often weigh about the same. They'll put up more resistance when towing, they'll leak earlier, and they'll depreciate faster. But if I get a used one (already took the big depreciation drop) that's still dry . . . I do have a place to store it inside.

Thoughts/barbs/other considerations are appreciated.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I am not sure what the wait time is right now on a new LiL Snoozy. A used 2014 just sold for around 20 K. That is close to the purchase price. They usually sell within a week or two.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Check out the 19' model. It has a queen size bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I am not sure what the wait time is right now on a new LiL Snoozy. A used 2014 just sold for around 20 K. That is close to the purchase price. They usually sell within a week or two.
I'm hoping to get to see one sometime. The pictures look good and I like the floorplan. I don't know if lack of LP appliances would be an issue for us or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Check out the 19' model. It has a queen size bed.
That would be roomy. But, I need a bumper-pull to go with our Honda Pilot.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about a Casita 16' or 17' Liberty Deluxe?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Mark, if you do find that you need propane, a handy person like yourself could add it quite easily. Several Lil Snoozy's have been purchased and then sold later for close to what the purchase price was, so don't let resale scare you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That would be roomy. But, I need a bumper-pull to go with our Honda Pilot.
Not certain what your budget is, which can affect recommendations. Are you looking for used only, or would new be good too. Most used moulded fibreglass trailers hold their value quite well.

I towed an Escape 19 for over 6 years with my Honda Pilot. Fantastic trailer, and a full (80x60) queen bed.

Their other model with a full queen is the 5.0TA, which I am getting, but it is not a bumper pull. Do remember that just about any trailer, either new or used, will outlast any tow vehicle, and likely a few. If possible, first buying a trailer that suits your needs, and then a matching tow vehicle, will serve you best, though lots and lots of options for a 5,000 lb towing capacity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have owned a number of FG units. In my previous 17ft Boler i made the kids bunk into a Adult bunk and i did the same in my present unit. I found old steel single bed frame and used it as a base. With proper securing it works great. We both sleep well, its something to consider. Beds always made.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #9

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Have you checked out the new Casita 17' Independence? The two twins are 30" wide each and should make the bed wide enough joined together. I have friends who just got theirs and it is pretty nice!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not certain what your budget is, which can affect recommendations. Are you looking for used only, or would new be good too. Most used moulded fibreglass trailers hold their value quite well.

I towed an Escape 19 for over 6 years with my Honda Pilot. Fantastic trailer, and a full (80x60) queen bed.
That Escape 19' looks like a very good floorplan for our needs. Unfortunately, used ones don't come on the market as frequently here in the US as in Canada. Buying a new one, with the required sales taxes, would set us back a bit as far as recovering our outlay if we need to resell in short order. I'll keep my eyes peeled, thanks for the idea: it's a model I hadn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Have you checked out the new Casita 17' Independence? The two twins are 30" wide each and should make the bed wide enough joined together.
Thanks, we're too lazy for that! When it's just the two of us, we'd prefer to leave the bed down, and with the Independence, that means there's no dinette/table.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is or was a 19' Escape for sale in Ohio. Not sure if sold.

For Sale 19' 2010 Escape (Ohio) $23,000 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
We have a 1984, 19' Scamp 5th wheel, and we turned the top queen mattress to run vertically instead of horizontally. We keep the 'bunk' in the up position, added a foam mattress from Hancock Fabrics, that was just the right size after I cut it to fit the curved wall-supports, and put a 'king mattress seam strip cover' from Bed Bath & Beyond where the two foams join. It make a perfect king! We do have to adapt the bed-making to allow for the curved wall supports, but at 6'+ tall, we had to have the extra leg-room! If we need, we just put the bunk 'away' with the foam on the bed, for company seating.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
If width is your only issue you could take the bed to 60" in a 13' or or larger. I considered it in our 13' footer but decided I'd rather have our fridge where the original closet was as I made a custom cabinet for it there. So the bed would have to use the closet area and kitchenette cabinet area opposite side and would reduce lower floor space considerably (but you gain storage area underneath) but it could be done, maybe not the easiest solutions however. YMMV
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I built a bed extension so our heads are under the big back window and feet between closet and sink.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
A simple solution for my husband and me is to sleep "head to foot". We each now have enough shoulder room whereas when we slept "head to head" we both felt cramped. Some people like sleeping bags when sleeping this way but we find that a traditional comforter works fine. We can both keep our toes covered and our heads peeking out. An untended, but welcome, benefit is that it's easier for me (I sleep close to the back wall) to climb over my husband's legs when I need to make a nighttime visit to the porta-pottie. Before you change trailers or make modifications, I suggest you try this method of sleeping.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp