Question About Bigfoot Trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Some of the campgrounds in our area (very few ) offer sites that are available year round. Those sights have metered electrical power and you pay for the power you use . Trying to heat a trailer with electric heat , even one that is insulated and has thermal pane windows would be cost prohibitive. We use the strip heater in our A/C and a 1500 watt portable heater to warm our trailer so we can load /ready our trailer before our trip South in February .The heaters run 24/7 . The cost is over $10 / day . Paying over $300 /month for electric plus site fees may be cost prohibitive , In cold climates propane is the only cost effective method of heating unless you can find a campgrounds that includes electric in their site fees

steve dunham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
While I don't own one I have been researching Bigfoots pretty extensively for the past couple of years. Here is what I have found. If anyone here sees an error in any of this please speak up.

Bigfoot came out of a bankruptcy in 2005 and all trailers since have been the 2500 series and come standard with the winter package of thermal windows, extra insulation and enclosed heated tanks. Prior to 2005 the winter package was an option and the trailers are designated as a 1500 series.

Also I want to mention that in my experience not all sellers are familiar with what was included with this package and there has been some confusion. I don't think anyone is deliberately misleading anyone. It's just that some owners are more informed than others and I think some folks assume they have a winter package because their trailer is insulated in some way. I have seen at least one post that stated that you can tell if the tanks are enclosed and heated as the underside of the trailer is all fiberglass. In contrast on the regularly equipped 1500 versions the tanks are exposed underneath. I'm not 100% sure on this point. Hopefully a Bigfoot owner here can help. It would be a pain to travel several hours just to find that the trailer your looking at is not what your looking for.

Also I don't want to discourage your dream and I'm sure that there are deals out there that don't make the internet. But I have checked this site and every week for the past year and the lowest listed price for a 2500 series 17.5 foot I have found was $15,000. So if $12,000 is a firm ceiling I would concentrate my search on a late 90's 17ft 1500. At that price they are definitely available but you may have to travel to find one. The good news is that you are in Oregon which is the area of the country that most of them seem to be.

Good luck.

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
The underside of our 1998, 17', Lil'Bigfoot was covered with a fiberglass pan and it didn't have any tanks underneath. Didn't have doube pane windows either.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
Trailer: TBA
Thanks Bob, like I said I'm not sure where I read that. So can any Bigfoot owners clue me in as to the easiest way to check if it has the winter option?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #19
Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
2006 Bigfoot For Sale

I have a 2006 Bigfoot Trailer currently for sale if you interested. PM me if you are interested. 503-507-7090.

janiszs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #20
Trailer: 1999 Bigfoot 21RB 2500
British Columbia
Hi I own a 1999 21ft RB. It is a four season. The four season models started when the 21 ft was designed, so that would be around 93. I had a 1987 Goucho normal windows. If you have dual pain windows it is most likely a 4 season. But it only is a 4 season as long as you can run your furnace than all the tanks are heated. So if you are going to dry camp for the year or whenever would be great to have some solar panels as to charge those batteries as u never know when you will need that furnace. Good luck finding a trailer. Go to they have every fiberglass trailer for sale in North America
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
I have had three Bigfoot trailers, all 4-season. As noted in an earlier reply to this thread, just look for the model number. Anything designated as a 2500 model is 4-season, the 1500 model is not. There are no 1500 models currently being manufactured, but there are used ones around. Trying to upgrade to four season is likely not feasible, other than replacing the windows with double pane. The most important feature of the four season is that the tanks are enclosed and insulated with ducted heat from the furnace routed to them and to interior plumbing. You water system is fully operational and protected as long as you keep the furnace going. I have camped in my Bigfoots well below zero F and the system works. Bigfoot would be a great choice for full-timing in winter conditions. There are a lot of people living in RVs in the North Dakota oil patch right now. Those without 4-season RVs are putting a lot of skirting underneath and using big heaters to keep the tanks from freezing.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #22
Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Not that it matters to the 4-season discussion, but I believe the last model year before bankruptcy was 2008.

Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote