Question about scams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Question about scams

Not sure if this is the best forum for scams but I called on a Bigfoot 17.5 and spoke with a woman in Vancouver, Wa about her trailer. She had it listed on CL in Portland, Or. I saw the exact same photo listed 3 times on rvs.oodle.com on Eugene, Bend and Boise. Exact same photo, listing and phone# but each with a different listing number. Any thoughts about what is going on. I'm a newbie in search of my 1st trailer and just learning the ropes. Thanks
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
The listing numbers will be different because she has to make a new listing for each new city as Craigslist does not allow posting to multiple cities with just one click. Doesn't sound like a scam to me at this point. She's just listing it in as many areas as possible within her geographic area.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I searched it using the phone number.

It is not unusual for folks to list on many boards in a wide area trying to sell.
Nice looking unit. She also has it listed on the Bigfoot Forum.

2007 25B17.5cb trailer

Contact Information
Contact jane wilson
Phone: 360-635--7110
Price
$ 16,000.00
More Information
2007 17.5 lots of bells and whistles. Interior immaculate, previous owners lived at the coast so some exterior rust. New air condioner. All serious offers will be considered

Bigfoot Trailer - Classifieds - Portland, OR - Claz.org
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most scams don't have a phone number. The usual response you will get when you respond to a CL scam ad by email is that the trailer is in some other location and can be shipped to you for free. If you do a craigslist search, like craigshelper/ search tempest, and the same trailer shows up all over the country, then it is a scam. I think one of craigslist's rules is that you can only post the ad in one location, but there is ways around that because I've seen the same ad posted in a few locations in the same region of the country so that can be a legitimate ad. I would only consider a trailer that you can actually go see, or a trusted person check it out for you, but their opinion of condition may be different than yours, this I know from experience from having a friend buy a vintage pickup for me that was 2000 miles away and I only saw photos of it, when I had it shipped to me it was kind of a disappointment!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I didn't see Bryan & Daniel's response before I made mine, good answers from both. At anywho.com, using reverse lookup, you can put in someone's phone number and get info on them, like address, even a background check. Kind of scary in my opinion!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Best bet to reduce anxiety.... Ask the seller...
But, as mentioned, it sounds OK, just don't send any money via Western Onion or expect it to be crated and shipped to you for free.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Thanks you for the feedback. That clears up a lot for me.
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
No WAY I'd ever buy a trailer unseen unless I planned to do a frame up restoration. When I first started looking for an egg I drove several hours to look at a Burro and was a quite upset I drove all that distance to see a trailer being so grossly misrepresented in the emails and phone calls, the picture I was given wasn't even of the same trailer. I don't think the seller was trying a scam so much as she was in love with an old decaying trailer, didn't really want to sell it, didn't have an accurate view of the trailer in her own clouded mind and was a really poor communicator with even poorer internet, digital camera skills.

But as others have said, that particular trailer sounds legit to me. Scams usually really feel fishy, don't have a working phone number to call.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
With the advent of disposable cellphones scammers buy and then throw away phones to enable having a phone number for an ad.

But...if you were to reverse search the phone number I post in all of my ads, it would always come up as a cell phone somewere in Riverside County making moi very suspect.

Go by the other red flags.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jan,
Being geographically challenged, I looked up the 4 cities. The CL ads are posted in the same general area of the continent.
It has been listed for a few weeks and the price is going down. So far I have not seen anything that would raise a red flag with me for a scam.

Daniel,
Do you have the sellers permission to post their name and number? I see you got it off of a private forum. If not can you edit it out of your post?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Name: Ann
Trailer: Dreaming of my own egg
Texas
Yes just be careful scams usually don't include a phone # but are all the areas listed close enough to drive??
One way to know us they don't offer enough info just basic pics u can get on line maybe photoshop a house In front etc and then make I email the Craigslist listing for info thats when they give u the sad stories they are selling for someone else or left it behind And moved etc!
Good luck!
Anndm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndm1960 View Post
are all the areas listed close enough to drive??
Yes they are. That gets me to thinking. If I were to list mine it would be in two countries, 4 or 5 states and 1 or 2 provinces. All close enough to drive. I've done it to buy both.

If Jan is serious she can ask a member here that might be close to go inspect it for her, some might even know of the trailer already. Some on the Bigfoot list might know it.

Flights in the US are cheap enough to be considered prudent to self inspect for a $16K purchase. A local RV shop would do an inspection and report for a credit card # over the phone.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Jan,
Being geographically challenged, I looked up the 4 cities. The CL ads are posted in the same general area of the continent.
It has been listed for a few weeks and the price is going down. So far I have not seen anything that would raise a red flag with me for a scam.

Daniel,
Do you have the sellers permission to post their name and number? I see you got it off of a private forum. If not can you edit it out of your post?
I don't believe I need there permission Roy, their phone number is in all there ads and a google search gave their name and addy.

If that seller would like it removed I would have no problem with removing it.
The purpose of also showing the listing from the Bigfoot forum was so the OP would know that it is listed in a number of places.
The seller has chosen to sell something and provided the proper information.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #14

The OP should know where it is listed. They have a listing of looking for a trailer on the same site.

We have a difference of opinions and ethics Daniel, that's all.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Jan,

Daniel,

I don't see an issue as often we copy and paste a Ad ( with seller's info) to the referral forum wouldn't this be about the same? Just asking, not trying to start anything, I just see this as being about the same as the referral post we all post.

It's pretty much the thought that, this AD is legit and if the OP doesn't purchase it another member who is looking might see the ad and find their perfect trailer............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #16

Well maybe I am wrong in the eyes of more than one.

The difference I see is that a full name was not provided in the craigslists ads that are typically quoted in referrals. The sellers name and hyperlink were taken from a private forum. If someone is ignorant enough to provide their full name and number in a forum they think is private, yet only provide a number in a public venue, we should not compound the error.

How often have other members here told posters to remove their contact info?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Well maybe I am wrong in the eyes of more than one.

The difference I see is that a full name was not provided in the craigslists ads that are typically quoted in referrals. The sellers name and hyperlink were taken from a private forum. If someone is ignorant enough to provide their full name and number in a forum they think is private, yet only provide a number in a public venue, we should not compound the error. \
Sorry, I didn't realize the info was from a private place. So it might be best if it was removed just for this post.

But have to say, if you put it out there then it's possible for the general public to see it, use it, etc.

Reminds me of a picture I posted on a private group on FB and made everyone promise not to share it. (really really good, life time friends) but even asking them not to share it, I realized that I placed it in a private, but still very public place........ I guess we all should assume that if we say it, type it, etc it, on the world wide web then it's public.

How often have other members here told posters to remove their contact info?
I do it all the time! Because I know we have PM abilities to exhange that type of info......
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
The real issue is what is a private forum, simply charging a membership fee does not make a forum private.
Forums are very public I know because I own one.