Question: Do tall people fit in these trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi there, I'm new and don't have a trailer yet but I love these fibreglass ones. I do have a concern though, my husband and I are fairly tall, he's about 6'3", would he even fit on one of the beds?? Is the ceiling height tall enough without him banging his head on it? I look at some of the beds in some of them and they look so small. So before I get to dreaming too much about one day owning a Boler/Bigfoot/Trillium etc, I have to know this Lol!
Thanks,
Ev Jones
BC Canada
Ev Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Ev! Welcome to FiberglassRV! This is definately the place to get your questions answered, and I'm sure lots of folks will chime in shortly!

I'm 6'5" tall, and the answers are No, and No; but neither are really huge issues (the bed is more problematic than the ceiling).

Now having said that, the Burro wide body I had came with an 87"x57" (or something close to that as I recall), longer-than-normal bed which was nothing short of wonderful. The Bigfoot I have now has a 78" bed (dinette) which is barely adequate, but works. One model of the Casita actually has a King or something close to it. Pretty much (generalizing here) most of the others will have a 76" bed length, and some even less. Most have a 45" width or less, which is probably more of a problem for couples than the length.

The height isn't really an issue as typically you don't stand up for any length of time in them, the sole exception might be to cook or do dishes. At 6'3" though most of the trailers will come close to accommodating your hubby. None of them accommodate me at 6'5". My Bigfoot is only 6'4" clearance to the ceiling.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Hi Ev and welcome to the egg forum. I am 6ft 4in and don't fit into to many things. The Fiber Stream I have has a king sized bed so sleeping is no problem but the celing is just about 75 inches plus I put in roof air which stickes down another 2 inches. I have learned not to stand up to fast. As Roger stated, you realy don't spend that much time standing up inside.

The main problem I have is the low door. Had to pad the top so I had a soft spot to bang my head. These are things you get used to and the benifits of a light weight trailer far out weigh the inconviences. Good luck in your search, Im sure there is a trailer out there that will fit your needs.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Hi there, I'm new and don't have a trailer yet but I love these fibreglass ones. I do have a concern though, my husband and I are fairly tall, he's about 6'3", would he even fit on one of the beds?? Is the ceiling height tall enough without him banging his head on it? I look at some of the beds in some of them and they look so small. So before I get to dreaming too much about one day owning a Boler/Bigfoot/Trillium etc, I have to know this Lol!
Thanks,
Ev Jones
BC Canada
Hi Ev. Roger has already mentioned 45" x 76" as a standard bed size in several of the 13' trailers. Trillium made a 4500 model(4.5 metres or 14.75') which has about 53" x 76" (close to Queen size bed). This doesn't help the 77" tall person(1" too short) but might provide a bit more room for knees . I am working on one of these for next spring. It also will have a front dinette which eliminates the need to use the bed area for a table, and we can then use a modified Ikea foam mattress(thicker) instead of the usual 4 cushions for the bed. Someone who was tall recently mentioned needing a thicker mattress because he was over 225 lbs. Most of the extra room is used in the bed area, and the clothes closet is about 4" wider than the 13' models. You could have trouble finding a 4500, but worth a look. I had a friend who was a bit of a comic and 6' 5" but preferred 5' 17" (said it didn't make him sound so tall).
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The Fiber Stream I have has a king sized bed so sleeping is no problem...
The main problem I have is the low door.
The quirk of the Fiber Stream brand is the [b]60" high flat entry door. The manufacturer avoided door curve issues by keeping the door top below the curve in the body. Otherwise, it is a mirror image floorplan of the Casita Liberty.

My previous trailer was a Compact Junior with a "pop-up" roof section; which had an entry door only [b]54" high!

Standard Bolers and Trilliums have curved doors that are luxuriously tall in comparison.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I guess it will just be a matter of finding that one trailer that fits us, I have noticed that there are tons of different floorplans and lengths and options out there that the egg manufacturers have done over the years. I guess the search will be half the fun (and it will still probably need a bed makeover to make it long enough, oh well Lol).
Thanks again!
Ev
Ev Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
The height isn't really an issue as typically you don't stand up for any length of time in them, the sole exception might be to cook or do dishes.
I knew there was some reason the ceiling height isn't an issue! Glad we don't do such things.

Patrick 6'5"
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi,

I am a little over 6'2" and fit fine in out Casita LD. THe LD has a king size bed which we set up each night...plenty of room for big guys (or girls!). Call the factory and they will set you up to see one...then if you don't want a new Casita you can try to find a used one (that might sound unethical but you might just want a new one after you see the resale value).

Rand:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't know what you have for a tug, but if it's a truck you may want to look at the new Escape 5th wheel...manufactured in Chilliwack, BC. Check out the website: Escape Trailers. It's got a front-to-back Queen Size Bed (60" X 6'6")
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Height can be a problem. I just bought out Scamp 5th wheel from a nice couple who had found he is just a bit too tall for the loft bed. I've also seen scamp 5th wheels where the owners have installed a custom interior that eliminates the gaucho bed/seating of the "standard" layout and that space to extend the loft so queen size matress fits up there long-ways instead of side-to-side, then turned the space underneath into storage.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Most [beds] have a 45" width or less, which is probably more of a problem for couples than the length.
Au contraire, Roger! Barb and I see that as a distinct advantage. But then, we are very close friends!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Au contraire, Roger! Barb and I see that as a distinct advantage. But then, we are very close friends!
And, we should also mention, Sir, that both you and your lovely wife are LESS than proportionate, weight to height! (read "slender, in-shape, etc. etc. etc. ).

Roger
Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Ev,
Randy is right about the bed in the Liberty, it is longer. Whereas one sleeps from side to side in the Spirit, sleeping is from front to back in the Liberty. I don't remember the length, but it has been stated in a previous post. To the best of my recollection it is about 5 inches longer, which should work well for tall people. Hey a good night's sleep is important. A person needs to be rested so the next day he is awake enough to remember to duck and not hit his head on the ceiling ! The door opening is quite another matter. I am only 5ft 8in and still occasionally whack my head. There is a positive spin though - after about 200 whacks, one developes callousses which help to reduce future pain. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<The door opening is quite another matter. I am only 5ft 8in and still occasionally whack my head. There is a positive spin though - after about 200 whacks, one developes callousses which help to reduce future pain. Don>>>>

Don, I thought that door installation of those 'pool noodles', (look like water pipe insulation in vibrant colors), or whatever those things are called, helped with the noggin whacks ? . Happy Trails, Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The door opening is quite another matter. I am only 5ft 8in and still occasionally whack my head. There is a positive spin though - after about 200 whacks, one developes callousses which help to reduce future pain. Don
Quote:
Don, I thought that door installation of those 'pool noodles', (look like water pipe insulation in vibrant colors), or whatever those things are called, helped with the noggin whacks ? . Happy Trails, Penny
This is what I did to cushion my head whacks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry_and_Fridge.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	5664

I covered a 24 inch piece of "Pool Noodle" in a sleeve made out of curtain material, then slid the whole thing over a 1/2" diameter dowel cut to span the distance between the Fridge cabinet and the closet. Mounted the ends of the dowel to the surfaces od the cabinetry.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Short can be good sometimes

I don't see how a "Normal" sized person could sleep in a Burro. At 5 ft tall, my bed is fine for me, but I can see if I was a couple inches taller, or a few (OK, a LOT) of pounds heavier, that it would be very cramped.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #17

Frederick, I want to know how you scrunched yourself into that space next to the window above the sink and below the cabinets to grab that shot...

Roger
Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
And, we should also mention, Sir, that both you and your lovely wife are LESS than proportionate, weight to height! (read "slender, in-shape, etc. etc. etc. ).

Roger
Flattering, Roger, but a bit off the mark. I am 6'1" and my doctor says I am 'short for my weight' (245lbs). I dare go no further than to say that my wife could not be described as slender. My head and feet can touch the opposite ends of the little dinette/bed in the UHaul when I stretch out, but I normally sleep a bit accordioned so it isn't a problem. We use a double sleeping bag, and enjoy snuggling on frosty camping mornings. In fact, the UHaul bed seems like a cozy nest, and we both prefer it to any motel bed.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Standard Bolers and Trilliums have curved doors that are luxuriously tall in comparison.
... and yet I have to duck to leave my Boler 1700, even with the door cut up into the curve of the body. Going in is easy, because it is instinctive while stepping up to lean forward, but going out without paying attention could hurt!

Once inside, the B1700 has lots of headroom for me (6' tall), but it is certainly taller than the 13' Boler models. That's a common pattern among at least three brands (Boler, Scamp, Casita): the models which are longer are usually taller inside, much taller outside, and often wider.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #20

The UHaul has sufficient headroom for me at 6'1" - but only because I got rid of the OEM swamp cooler and put in a Fantastic Fan that's flush with the ceiling! I cannot stand upright in Scamps.