Question: Food Spoilage and Propane Refrigerator - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Question: Food Spoilage and Propane Refrigerator

My propane blew out sometimes yesterday. I didn't notice it until this morning when the temperature in refrigerator was over 70 degrees.

I threw out all the meat, but I'm not sure about things like eggs, milk and cream, mustard, jelly, and cheese. What's the recommendation?

Also, is there any way to safely block wind and rain from putting out the flame?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Eggs last longer refrigerated, but not necessary. We keep eggs at least a week in room temp with no problems. Mustard will be fine too. Same with jelly. Growing up, we never refrigerated any of those items. Milk will spoil quickly, cheese should be ok IMO.

Tom

Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Smell test.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Seeing your trailer is new, Huck, would you not hear the snapping sound of the ignitor, and doesn't the pilot light indicator flash?

Tom is right that the eggs and jelly would be fine. The cheese may be okay too. Never is fun to have to waste food though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Anything meat and dairy (including cheese)should go Bye Bye...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Greg, we carry cheese unrefrigerated when canoeing or backpacking for quite a few days with no issue. If going longer, I do wrap some of it in cheese cloth, then dunk in wax to seal. Opened a week or more later, it is still just fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seeing your trailer is new, Huck, would you not hear the snapping sound of the ignitor, and doesn't the pilot light indicator flash?
If it builds up a little propane, I definitely hear it snap! Sometimes I can hear it light and sometimes not. The problem is with the wind and rain, it is hard to hear if it lights and hard to see if it is lit.

What I usually do is wait a few minutes and see if the tube starts to heat up.

I don't believe there is a pilot light indicator.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Huck,
I've only had the pilot blow out on one occasion, but it made me not trust it on future outings. I try to remember to look into the little window on the bottom of my fridge when we arrive at the camp spot to see if the flame is going. That said we have spent weeks on the road without it ever extinguishing. If you have a chronic problem it may be due to some flue action between the side vent and roof vent during travel. Altering the air flow with a home made baffle could work to change the flow pattern. Trial and error testing could take some time to get results though.
Perhaps one of those shreaded metal kitchen range hood filters could be attached to the inside of your side vent door to be used only while under way or in high wind camping situations. It would allow air to flow through, but could interrupt the velocity a little. You would want to remove it for maximum refer performance when stopped. Just and idea, not tested.
Good luck,
Russ
Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
When camped at Padre Island National Sea Shore one of large motor homes had the same problem. It was quite windy there. A very simple solution. He turned the motor home around so the fridge was on the leeward side away from the wind. End of problem.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I get a set of the original installation instructions for the refrigerator and verify that the install was done "By the book", especially the size and shape of the vants and any baffles that were specified. Most problems like you mentioned are caused by installations that were not done properly.

What has been known to help is to put common metal window screen on the inside of the vent panels to break up any incoming airflow.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

Virginia
We had 2 really bad stoms that lasted for hours. Trailer was rocking and rolling so much I couldn't sleep. I'm guessing at least 50 mph wind gusts.

This morning I noticed a lot of water in the compartment where the wind had driven the rain through the vent panel. The storms are coming in from the northwest and the refrigerator panel was on the side opposite the wind.

I've decided the best thing to do is just buy for 2 or 3 days at a time and keep critical foods in an ice chest.

Tags
propane, refrigerator