Question for all electric Egg Camper owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Question for all electric Egg Camper owners

We just got ours last spring and have not used it in cold weather. How low an outside temp have you used it in where the 1000 watt heater that came with the trailer kept you comfortable? Thinking about some late fall & winter use in the south but it can be cold before we get to the warm places. Wondering about a motel the first night or two after leaving Michigan, or isn't that likely to be necessary? Thanks.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
It's amazing how fast these little things heat up. And with more than one person, they warm up pretty well. I camp alone and use a 1500watt heater that does quite well. Just remember, water freezes!-if it's really cold use bottled water and not your trailer water system.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I had a comfortable nights sleep last month when power was out for about 2 days where I live.
My solar equipped, propane furnace Lil Bigfoot was very warm on a 28 degree night.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The electric solution

As we travel south in the later part of the fall, we always know that during the night we'll be warm and toasty under our electric blanket. Usually I turn on the electric heater in the 5-6AM range to take the chill off before breakfast.

In our case, once we start breakfast you have to open a window or it gets too warm from the propane stove. In an all electric kitchen cooking breakfast is like turning on another 1500 watt heater.

If it's cold we don't hook up our water hose but keep water in our tank.
Our water tank is inside the trailer and will not freeze. Our hotwater tank is electric and propane and we generally run it on electric if plugged in, that also adds heat to the trailer. We travel with empty gray and black tanks. The little we add to these tanks as we travel south has never been a problem. The lowest temperatures we've seen has been in the teens F.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
We camped in the Nest Egg down to 30's and the heater was fine. Be sure and turn on your water heater also for awhile and that will keep it okay. It will stay hot until am. With your water tank inside you will be able to use the toilet which is an advantage. The only issue I had was making coffee in am and with the under cabinet coffee maker a lot of steam went up inside the cabinet. I finally moved the entire unit back as far as it will go and that solved the problem. For some reason Jim Palmer mounted it flush to the front vs flush to the back.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Two night ago we had a low of 26 degrees (F), and to keep things from freezing I turned the factory heater on about as low as it would go. The next morning I went out and checked and it was 50 degrees inside the camper. We've only actually camped out to about 45 degrees, and again, had the heater on about as low as it would go for nightly comfort, but turned it up a bit in the morning when we got up. I have no doubt that the heater would keep you snug at least into the 20s.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #7

Florida
If we're plugged in we always leve our water heater on. Actually it takes relatively little electricity to keep the water at temperature and most of it stay in the rig.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
We've camped in temperatures down in the low 40s and been comfortable with only the electric heater. I've since camped off-grid with temperatures down in the twenties with the propane furnace that I installed.

You may want to modify the AC venting if you plan to camp in low temperatures. Our EggCamper AC had 3 intake vent holes in the floor of the camper, and an exhaust vent on the side. These are open to the outside air all the time and allow cold air into the smaller of the two closets and the area beneath the side dinette and bed. The cold air is a lot of competition for the electric heater.

So, I replaced the side vent with a hatch door (same as cpaharley's mod: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-48205.html ), and closed off the intakes. I then added a false floor to the area between the back of the AC and the hatch. I open the hatch when the AC is in use. Beneath the false floor, I provided (screened holes) for the AC intake and drainage for the condensate. The area above the false floor allows for the AC exhaust (separated from the intake by the false floor).
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Cold Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We just got ours last spring and have not used it in cold weather. How low an outside temp have you used it in where the 1000 watt heater that came with the trailer kept you comfortable? Thinking about some late fall & winter use in the south but it can be cold before we get to the warm places. Wondering about a motel the first night or two after leaving Michigan, or isn't that likely to be necessary? Thanks.
We spent a week in my brother's drive in Indianapolis in Jan. The night-time temps hit 3*F.

The 110 cube kept the Casita fine down to 12*F. At that point we had to add the gas furnace to maintain 70*F in the trailer. We stayed cozy.

We proped the stove vent open and opened the roof vent about 1/2" to maintain a small airflow, and had no condensation, even on the windows.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
One year on the way back from FL, we stayed the night in GA. It was cold enough out to freeze our water hose, but we were comfortable in the EggCamper.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #11

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Electric blanket
You'll be as snug as a bug in a rug!
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #12

Florida
Temp Control

Since we sleep with an electric blanket our goal in the trailer is to keep the temperature above freezing. Usually when th temp drops below 40F we turn on the electric heater.

If we feel the outside temp will drop below freezing, we disconnect out hose. This saves the hose but more importantly it reduces the pressure in the water lines in the trailer and provides 'expansion margin' for the internal water lines should they freeze.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
What is the first year the electric Egg was available? I am looking for a used unit, but will get new if needed. I didn't realize they went back as far as 2007
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm sure if you contact Jim Palmer at EggCamper he can give you the correct answer.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I've slept
In mine with the factory electric heater and a electric cube heater down to 5 above. I also have a matrices pad heater for when it gets colder. I do leave the roof vent open just a crack to help with condensation If need be I also have a propane furnace. (That Ron installed) I'm going to attempt to add extra insulation in the roof in places that Jim Palmer didn't put any. One more thing I take the foam mats that lock together like Legos to help insulate the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #16

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I've slept
In mine with the factory electric heater and a electric cube heater down to 5 above. I also have a matrices pad heater for when it gets colder. I do leave the roof vent open just a crack to help with condensation If need be I also have a propane furnace. (That Ron installed) I'm going to attempt to add extra insulation in the roof in places that Jim Palmer didn't put any. One more thing I take the foam mats that lock together like Legos to help insulate the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
YIKES you are brave in the winter temps. My egg would be in a barn at those temps! I'm dreading the 60's in the day and 40's at night this weekend.....you're a brave camper
4x4LDY is offline   Reply With Quote