Question for you northerners who are right now somewhere in the south - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Question for you northerners who are right now somewhere in the south

Where do you spend the long dark evenings? Inside? Outside? Both? Warm enough to be outside? If you spend them inside your molded trailers how do you sit comfortably? Dinettes are TERRIBLY uncomfortable for longer than eating a meal. Both my wife and I have bad (very bad) backs. She had a fracture last summer/fall. Mine was 49 years ago. We cannot lounge on the bed. I'm wondering if putting up an easy up with wind curtains and a heater if needed could be ok with good chairs. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We are now two months in one location in the south with our CT13 Uhaul. Bed stays made up so it's either sit on the bed or the front couch. But what makes this all doable is we have a Eureka Northern Breeze screen room. It is 12 X12 and has flaps that roll down to close it in. In it we have the campsite picnic table, folding camp table with canvas storage compartments, a dorm fridge, two electric heaters, two comfortable chairs with footstools/tables, toaster, coffee pot, 19" TV. This screen house is one of the best things we ever bought for camping, cost $400, and well worth it. The people on the site next to us have one, and there are a couple more in the campground. We have a Coleman road trip grill under a 10 X10 canopy along with our two bikes. We don't cook in the camper or the screen room. It's in the 60's here today in southern GA, 15 back home near Albany NY.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Thanks for the reply Mary & Bob. We have given up the all winter snowbirding of the previous 17 winters. Plan on selling our snowbird trailer but lately have been thinking (at least I have) of heading south with the Egg Camper for up to a month. Haven't mentioned it to my wife yet. Got a lot of snow the last 2-3 days and supposed to get freezing rain and then rain after. Makes me sorta rethink about no snowbirding at all but maybe some much shorter term snow avoidance.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We spend most of our daylight hours outside and have four comfortable chairs for that. It's virtually bug free in our park.

When inside the Scamp we have the front couch. One of us sits up on it the long way with our back against the wall, we find this comfortable.

The other is usually at the dining room table. We usually make the bed up early and watch TV in bed or work on our gadgets.

I visited Scamp and suggested how they might create a layout with 2 small easy chairs.... to no avail.

There is definetly room for layout improvement in small fiberglass trailers.

One year we used our son's side dinette Casita it had 2 captain's chairs that were a step up from the typical dinette.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm 65; my wife is 66. We're not northerners and we don't spread our tiny wings and head south in winter but we do have boat seats with cushions bolted to the lockers in our Burro. We eat, read, surf the net, watch the tube, knit, and play gin. Back and particularly lumbar support makes protracted sitting tolerable inside on nasty days. There are always those days even for those who follow the sun.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

Delaware
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...3&d=1354311474
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
As nice as your Eggcamper is, I have to wonder if it would not be better for you to use a larger trailer with space for custom, back-cradling seating. Perhaps a 19' Escape could be built custom to accomodate some super comfy chairs in place of the front dinette. Just a thought.

Since my wife no longer camps, I've been able to set a zero gravity lounger in the aisle whenever I wish. But that sure wouldn't work for two such loungers, in any of our little trailers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
We carry enough extra pillows to strategically wedge behind us if dinette-or-bed-lounging. But like others most lounging time is outside, in our case under the pull-down awning which takes about a minute to deploy.

We each/all have an outside chair of our own choosing...

And when the weather's chilly we set up our portable gas campfire under the awning, too!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Where do you spend the long dark evenings? Inside? Outside? Both? Warm enough to be outside? If you spend them inside your molded trailers how do you sit comfortably? Dinettes are TERRIBLY uncomfortable for longer than eating a meal. Both my wife and I have bad (very bad) backs. She had a fracture last summer/fall. Mine was 49 years ago. We cannot lounge on the bed. I'm wondering if putting up an easy up with wind curtains and a heater if needed could be ok with good chairs. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
We modified our dinette into a wraparound design and a pedestal table, which gives unlimited variations for easily finding a comfortable position.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic009.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our snowbirding this year has been to stay set up in one location. Our original plan was to do one of our three months out traveling throughout Florida. We had reservations at 13 state parks for the month of February. We like where we are so much we decided to stay and cancelled all the Florida reservations. Bad back is partly to blame, but we are happy with our decision.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #11

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Jack, love that idea. Looks nice. Are they mounted on swivel bases?

(total side note: is that a shortwave on the table? If so what brand/model?)
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I have a 2001 Bigfoot 21RB with a sofa in place of a dinette. It is much better for sitting no back hurting.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
Jack, love that idea. Looks nice. Are they mounted on swivel bases?

(total side note: is that a shortwave on the table? If so what brand/model?)
Sean, they're on ball bearing swivel plates. 1/2" plywood bolted under locker tops to spread the load on the small footprint plates. Shortwave is a Magnavox. Not much to say about it except that we did listen to one of the presidential debates on it at Owens Creek S.P. in MD this year. I believe that's where the foto was taken.

jack