Question - Garmin 760 LMT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Question - Garmin 760 LMT

Just bought one on ebay.

When I configure the length of RV, I'm guessing this is the total length from front of tow to end of trailer. Is that how others have done it? I guess weight would be the same?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Yes that is how I programmed mine, total combined length and weight
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Thanks.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
OK, I've got to ask.....why would you need to consider the length & weight of the tow auto and trailer when programming a auto GPS?

Does the Garmin 760 have some special features that most auto GPS's don't have?

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
The Garmin helps keep you out of areas where your RV won't fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
The Garmin helps keep you out of areas where your RV won't fit.

Thanks Marky! That would be a great feature!

More than once I have ended up on a dead end road...and it wasn't a fun experience!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Routing with Garmin 760

I find this GPS, the Garmin 760, to be less that stellar, for the following reasons:

1. I cannot just type in the city where I want to go, it requires an actual address in the city. I suppose I could use Base Camp, but don't, it is a hassle.

2. I have to be within about 50 miles or so in order for it to locate the place on the map, even when I do have the address.

3. It is not nearly as easy to use as my iPhone and Google maps.

4. The RV route (assuming you input your RV parameters) is different from the auto route. But 9 times out of 10, I go the auto route because it is shorter, more scenic, etc. My Casita is so easy to tow I can easily go where auto's go. Usually.... but not always. The "not always" is what makes things interesting.

In short, I find the Garmin 760 to be very frustrating. When in a bind I always go with my iPhone and Goggle maps, or paper maps; quicker and more intuitive.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile GPSs

We have a Garmin 50LM. It replaced a Magellan (I forget the model). We were in Hollywood when the Magellan just died.

GPSs are good, but like computers, you have to know something about what you are doing.

We wanted to go to the Red Lobster in Ventura, we followed Minnie's (Gar MIN) directions. She took us down Stroube St. This street has more speed bumps. One can even see the bumps on Google Maps, they look like cross walks with the painted lines, but you can read "BUMP" before each one.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...45a3371b343c87

The other thing is that restaurants or other places of business close or move and the GPS, even if updated, doesn't always have that information.

All in all, I think they are a great help. Like I always tell my wife, I can drive to practically any city in the country without GPS, but when I have to find a certain address in that city, a GPS is invaluable.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I find this GPS, the Garmin 760, to be less that stellar, for the following reasons:

1. I cannot just type in the city where I want to go, it requires an actual address in the city. I suppose I could use Base Camp, but don't, it is a hassle.

2. I have to be within about 50 miles or so in order for it to locate the place on the map, even when I do have the address.

3. It is not nearly as easy to use as my iPhone and Google maps.

4. The RV route (assuming you input your RV parameters) is different from the auto route. But 9 times out of 10, I go the auto route because it is shorter, more scenic, etc. My Casita is so easy to tow I can easily go where auto's go. Usually.... but not always. The "not always" is what makes things interesting.

In short, I find the Garmin 760 to be very frustrating. When in a bind I always go with my iPhone and Goggle maps, or paper maps; quicker and more intuitive.
I have been extremely please with the RV760 performance and have not experienced any if the issues identified here. I have had an earlier Garmin model and a TomTom, the 760 has out performed both of them. Just my experience
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
I have owned two Garmins. Even though it gets updated whenever I am prompted (@ once a year), its performance does not seem to improve and it has guided me into some uncomfortable locations as well as provided incorrect navigational instructions. As a result, I consider it to be a "ball park" device rather than a precision device. One of my favorites is "turn left on Martin Luther King Doctor (Dr) rather than "Drive" or the time it had me go past an intersection and then make three right hand turns and cross the same intersection rather than making a left at the intersection. So like my trailer, my GPS has been affectionately given a name......Stupid.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
While GPS units do OCCASIONALLY lead you astray, I still marvel at what they do and how accurate they are. LOVE my Garmin.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
One of my favorites is "turn left on Martin Luther King Doctor (Dr) rather than "Drive" or the time it had me go past an intersection and then make three right hand turns and cross the same intersection rather than making a left at the intersection.
LOL!! I've had this happened to me too!

Another funny thing, although it's probably my imagination: sometimes when travelling we take an exit off the interstate to get some fuel, food, etc. I don't bother reprogramming the Garmin for such a quick stop, so as soon as we're off "The Lady" as we call her (we prefer a feminine voice) starts saying "Recalculating..." and tries to send us back on the interstate. Since I fully ignore her, she does her "Recalculating" thing over and over. Now it seems to me that after a few "recalculations" there is a change in the tone of her voice. Like she's getting impatient with me! I told my wife, 'is it me or is she starting to get mad at me?' I feel she's about to say "Ok, fine, do whatever you like, I'll just shut up here, and don't come asking directions again!"
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Question - Garmin 760 LMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
While GPS units do OCCASIONALLY lead you astray, I still marvel at what they do and how accurate they are. LOVE my Garmin.

Lyle, I'm not sure occasionally is the word I would use. I would not say frequently but it is more than an occasional happening. Often enough that I do not have a great deal of trust in it. Once, in Rogers, MN, Stupid, as I refer to Ms. Garmin had me drive a mile down a frontage road, cross to the frontage road on the other side, and drive a mile back to the same intersection which all I would have had to do was to cross over that intersection in the first place. Brilliant. Yea, I love my Garmin too but it is a love/hate relationship. They are only as accurate as the people who program landmarks into them.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I find it easy enough to ignore the GPS if it doesn't make any sense. One still needs to pay attention, and realize if you are going a mile past the road you wanted for no good reason.

I find it much easier, with the roads labelled on the GPS screen, and being able to see just where you are in relation to them. I can see the road I want is coming up, so can look and see if there is a reason not to turn. Guess I don't follow the idiot box blindly, but I find navigation a whole lot easier with it than without - much safer too if travelling alone, instead of trying to read the map constantly. It is just a tool, but a very handy one, especially in areas you are unfamiliar with.

Guess I'm just still in awe of the technology and how well it works - all the little two-bit roads and lanes, for all of North America, included in that little box, along with where all the Barnes & Nobles and Cracker Barrels are and tell you how to get there!
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
LOL!! I've had this happened to me too!

Another funny thing, although it's probably my imagination: sometimes when travelling we take an exit off the interstate to get some fuel, food, etc. I don't bother reprogramming the Garmin for such a quick stop, so as soon as we're off "The Lady" as we call her (we prefer a feminine voice) starts saying "Recalculating..." and tries to send us back on the interstate. Since I fully ignore her, she does her "Recalculating" thing over and over. Now it seems to me that after a few "recalculations" there is a change in the tone of her voice. Like she's getting impatient with me! I told my wife, 'is it me or is she starting to get mad at me?' I feel she's about to say "Ok, fine, do whatever you like, I'll just shut up here, and don't come asking directions again!"
It's not just you, she definitely gets her knickers in a bunch when you make her recalculate repeatedly!
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #16

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Garmin RV 660LMT or Garmin 760 LMT

you may want to look at the Garmin RV 660LMT. It has propane restriction.

Garmin 760 LMT does not
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We call the "lady" the Nag-O-Matic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There seems to be an interesting relationship between GPS uses (not all but some) and their GPS receivers.
I'll share some of what I've learned over the past 15+ years of using a GPS receiver.
1. There's has been some pretty dramatic in function, reliability, and accuracy.
The first one we owned was while the Government still had this thing they called selective activity. It purposely added errors so that the closest you could get to a point was 100 Meters (300 ft). June of 2000 selective activity was turned off which made the use practical with accuracy of around 20 meters (60 ft). These early units didn't have built in maps. Then along come WAAS and the worst case accuracy was better than 10 meters (30 ft) and today with receiver technology practical accuracy is down to just a couple feet.
2. GPS Receivers are just another tool in the tool box. Meaning they are NOT the be all, end all,or final arbitrator. There is no substitute for current paper maps and that round object on top of your shoulders.
3. As with many computing systems it's always a wonder that they work at all. The GPS system is even more complex. Try typing just the one of Harry Potter books without making any typing errors, including grammatical, spelling, paragraphs, and spacing. Somebody had to type the software that in modern devices.
4. Because they are created by humans they are subject to error, but are getting better all the time.
5. There's been lots of stories about people being lead astray by their GPS. Some of the stories there wasn't even a GPS around, others they were following a road on a paper map. (Learn how to read a map, it's important to the traveler).
6. The person giving voice directions is just a voice, It has no emotion, it can't get irritated with you.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 245. It's not a very new GPS receiver, but it does what I need it to do. In towns or cities I'm not familiar with it can help get through without getting lost. One of uses I have for it to tell me arrival time. I can give a pretty accurate ETA. Two other things I use it to do, one is as a Ham Radio Operator I can find the nearest 2 meter repeater, second I have the Ultimate Campground data base and I can find the nearest campground.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Just bought one on ebay.

When I configure the length of RV, I'm guessing this is the total length from front of tow to end of trailer. Is that how others have done it? I guess weight would be the same?

I would suggest that go to here. https://support.garmin.com/support/m...o=010-01062-02
and down load the manuals.
If you look around most devices have downloadable manuals on their web site. I found this is about 3 seconds.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #20

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

6. The person giving voice directions is just a voice, It has no emotion, it can't get irritated with you.
Those of us who made comments about the lady getting irritated did so as HUMOR.
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote