Question on 13 footer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My wife and I really liked the new 19' escape, but after running some numbers like a new tow vehicle and the cost of the trailer we decided to use our current TV. It's a Hyundai Tucson with a 2.7L and says it can tow 2000#. I have found a couple canadian sites that have them towing 2500# without any problems, so feel pretty safe with the 1400# dry weight of the escape 13 model A. We would not be getting air conditioning, about the only upgrade we would be getting might add 50#. Currently we tent camp and last night went over everything that we would bring along with a TT. A conservative rough guess would be 200# additional, so the total trailer might be around 1700# loaded with fuel and supplies (water tank empty). This should leave us a little lee way on wieght.

My question is

1) Do our guesses sound reasonable to those of you experienced using trailers. We do not pack everything under the sun, and will only have the 2 of us in the TV.

We also sleep on cots in the tent and were considering sleeping on the goucho bunk option to leave the main table up all the time. Tammy at Escape said they were 26" wide x 6'-4" long, but i'm not sure of the distance between bunks. Our cots are currently 25" wide, so I do not think this might be a problem. The main bed is only 48" wide, so we think we might have more room and get more sleep with the goucho bed. We are both around 180# and about 6'-0"+

2) Has anyone tried this combo out before? How hard is to put bed up and down everyday?

I do wish the economy would pick up, we have enough $ to get the trailer now, but we are using this as a cushion in the bank as my buisiness has been slow this year. We are hopeing early next year that things pick up.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't address any of your concerns directly, others are much more knowledgable than I. However, if you'd like to see a bunch of these trailers yourself and talk to the owners, please consider this an open invitation to come to Lebanon, Oregon and visit a bunch of us at the Northern Oregon Gathering on April 23-26, 2009. Click this link for more info: Northern Oregon Gathering - Spring Event

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp
As far as the bunk set up I have a 77 scamp......with bunks set up the distance between the bottom of the top bunk and the cushion below is 18.5 inches 23" with the bottom cushion not there. The top bunk in mine measures 23" by about 6 ft.....so If my hubby was up there he'd be cramped (he's 175 5'10" plus the top bunk only is recommended at 100# I believe. The bottom is more spacious because you get about an extra three inches where the back of the couch flips up. This spot is super cozy in my opinion. I take up and set down daily when camping and I don't find it any big bother. It is certainly easier with only one person in the trailer doing the setup and takedown. I prefer using the front bunks when its just myself and my son, but when I camp with my husband the back bunk is preferred. Chances are if where camping its nice or somewhat nice weather so we eat outside and the table only seems to serve as a spot for legos and toys. Hope this helps.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
My wife brought home our 13 ft Boler in '94. We have used it coast to coast a couple of times and many smaller trips. We have now altered it to have a permanent bed in back and a front dinette. When we stay in a campground we take along a dining shelter as an additional living space. When we travel we just use a small awning or tarpif the weather needs it
. You might find that most of these small trailers only reccommend about 80 pounds on the upper bunk so you might have to add some extra support of some kind. After 15 years of enjoying it we're starting to think that for extended trips of a month or three, we might like to have something larger with a washroom. Maybe, it's in the future.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for all the relpies. Per the escape web site the thier top bunk can handle 200# max, so we may still persue this option.