Question on a 1977 Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Question on a 1977 Scamp 13

Hi all,

I have been looking for a fiberglass project trailer for restoring and have a few questions for the group that I hope you guys can help me out with ASAP as I may have found a good candidate, a 1977 Scamp 13. First, from what I have read here a Scamp 13 will fit in a normal house double garage is this correct as that is my shop and I cant leave the camper out overnight in my neighborhood?

The seller is currently asking $3500 OBO for the 1977 Scamp 13. I have uploaded some pictures for everyone to look at and what I need is your thoughts on what you think would be a fair high and low price for this camper?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
scamp (2).jpg   scamp (1).jpg  

scamp (4).jpg   scamp (5).jpg  

Tony L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Garage door height

Hi,
Looks like a great project for you. Garage doors are not always the same height, so it"s best to measure including the hatch on top.
Best of luck,
Bob
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ride height looks higher than stock. Usually the wheel arch cuts across the top of the rims. Measure carefully and check. There are tricks to gain a few inches, such as replacing the stock wheels with unshod 8" rims for storage.

The shell lining looks a mess. Does it have any appliances? Do they work? I see vents for a 3-way fridge and a gravity furnace, but nothing inside. Electrical & plumbing? Are all the original fiberglass pieces present in usable condition? How's the subfloor, especially around the outer perimeter? If the axle has been updated, as I suspect, was the frame also updated/reinforced/cleaned & painted?

On first glance, $3500 seems very optimistic to me. Value also depends on location, and I am not seeing that information in your profile.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Name: Gene
Trailer: 77 Modified Scamp 13 Towed with 99 Jeep Wrangler
Iowa
Registry
It should fit in a 7-0 garage door height if door is fully open. My wife and I just completed our remodel of a 1977 Scamp 13. Drop me a note with any questions and I will try to help.
GMYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

GM, did you have to take the tires off in order to get it in the garage? How involved was your project?
Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

Iowa
Registry
Remodeling a 77 Scamp

Luckily I had no problem getting my Scamp into our garage. We have 8-0 high doors, but the trailer has a roof mounted awning and vent so we are about 7-3 high overall.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
seems odd the inside is far worse condition than the outside..... look hard for leaks! mine was $3500 but the inside wasn't that bad & they had added a.c. offer less & see if they bite?
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #8

Iowa
Registry
We did a complete interior and exterior remodel of our trailer.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
1977 Samp

I agree with checking floor structure. Interior pic seems to indicate possible water damage IMO.
Looks like door has typical old age sag that could be from several reasons. Outside latch to me indicate that door may not stay shut on its own while traveling. Mine has that problem also. Will report back when I discover the fix.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Ace man :
I’d like to hear about your fix when it happens . I have that problem and have an idea but am unsure about it ; I’d prefer to find the cause and fix that .
Maine_Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
There is lots to love with that Scamp.
I like the windows, the green tree decals and the rims on the tires (suitable for baby moon hubcaps).

It appears that the heater vent is not original. Unsure, but it doesn't look like the ones I've seen.

The refrigerator vent area looks possibly aftermarket, although it does look closer to stock to my eye than the heater vent.

If you're willing to tackle the possibilities of new flooring and for certain new wall covering, I think it'd be an awesome build and a cutie pie when done!

Check that frame for cracks.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #12

lisantica, I was told earlier the windows look aftermarket but I'm not sure as I'm new to this. What do the Green Tree decals indicate? Tks
Old 10-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
lisantica, I was told earlier the windows look aftermarket but I'm not sure as I'm new to this. What do the Green Tree decals indicate? Tks
I have seen windows like that on those older 70's versions. I will double check some photos in the registry, but I remember thinking if my Scamp didn't have jalousie windows, I'd want those style I see in your photo, especially the rear window!

The Green Tree decals were used back in the day, not sure when they stopped making them, but I like 'em. Scamp offers some decals, just not those, so I covet them.

Edit: found this Scamp, isn't it the same windows?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/1178/

And this one has the same back window I believe:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/2539/

Double edit:
Sorry to add to the confusion, but this thread mentions windows like that as aftermarket:
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/1...-scamp-repairs
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
price out parts...might help in the calculation

I bought a 2004 Scamp for $6450 Canadian in 2015...and it was in really great shape...furnace, 3 way fridge, dual propane tanks, Fantastic vent, electric brakes. I had to buy a brake controller for the tow vehicle and a battery and two new tires for the Scamp, but that was it.
Were i looking at buying the one you are looking at, i would go to the Scamp site and get prices on all the missing pieces. The rig you are looking at has no cupboard doors, no fridge, no furnace, no rat fur...pretty sure i didn't see any kind of electrical stuff...no support between the end of the counter and the roof, no overhead cupboard in the back...not to mention the water damage. I am not familiar with older Scamps, so some of my comments, especially about a missing overhead cupboard in the back or a missing electrical control box may be idiotic.
If you compare a used Scamp in reasonable shape and its' current cost, versus the one you are looking at plus the cost of all the parts it would need, you may be able to calculate a reasonable buying price. Best of luck. I hope you find a great trailer no matter what path you choose.
These eggs are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Tillie and Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
buy now

there is no way you can go wrong with this buy it now!!! you can turn a small profit on this rig fast!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 2002 Ford Ranger 4WD Xcab
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Ford
I have a circa 1978 13 foot Scamp (the water tank was marked 1978) and it came with the Jalousie side windows. Mine was registered as "homemade" when I bought it and there is no visible serial number so I am guessing the water tank year marking is correct. Do you know for sure that the one you are looking at is a 1977 model? It could be newer.
Ken Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp