Question: Will current gas prices curb the distance of your trips? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
It is still cheaper to camp where you can cook your food than hotel rooms where you have to eat out. Either way, you still pay for the gas if you are driving.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I'll cut back on driving around town, but not on camping.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Camping is something we are not willing to give up. We will spend less on others things so we can still enjoy traveling with Tater Tot. Getting ready for a 10 day trip-then several smaller trips this summer. These camping trips keep us sane!

Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Next our car:
Real world 8.1 L average local driving 5.7 L or 6.7 L would be nice but that would be no trailer downhill with a tail wind in neutral; still 8.1 is not bad.
100 km / 62 mi
8.1 L per 100 km or 62 mi = 30 mpg US or 34 mpg CA; 4.5 L per CA gal good weather
Again real world wind hills stops towns getting as low as 28 mpg US
One way trip to Winnipeg 1876 km or 1166 mi the future desired trip is hilly so could be lower?
Cost one-way $217 or $433 round trip plus camp sites food and fun.
In the end we will still travel.
(Just a fun question)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Gas price will not affect my trip plans. I am determined to have a good time during my summer vacations. I have the trailer and I'll use it.

But, uh... Norm, any chance you might want to sell that CRV?
The new CRVs have even more Horsepower (200hp) and better mileage. We're on our way to FL right now to pickup our Scamp. We'll probably spend a few weeks gettingthe Scampt ready and spend a little time in the pool before heading north.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...The only problem with short trips is by the time we get back home the price of gas has jumped up by a dime a ltr.
I was saving to travel in retirement... now I have to spend to get there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Better make sure you have enough $$$ to get back home.

Here's a thought: Around $9USD a gallon in Europe. Most of the cost is taxes. I think the same applies here, most of the cost in taxes.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
Nope the price of gas won't stop us from camping.
We will just cut back on eating out, pick up our liquor
and bigger purchases in Alberta when we are there and
camp in more forestry sites as they are free.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #22
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
We'll still be camping, but will be driving less around town. And as others have said we'll cut back in other places. Less eating out, consolidate trips as much as possible, drive the Blazer instead of the truck, possibly use the Blazer some of the shorter camping trips, etc. etc.
Next winter's trip will probably be a lot less than the 6200 miles we did this year.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
Name: Ron
Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Nope ! we will camp some place even if its in the back field,,,,might set up a spot under some trees so we can circle the wagons !! Ron
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #24
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Send a message via Skype™ to 5thwheelreviews
Well, with just a little more training, I'm hoping I can get my zero-carbon emmissions machine to pull my truck - YouTube -

If not, these fule prices are probably going to keep me pretty close to home...
Dave Koch
Westerville, Ohio
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Won't stop me! The rising prices at campgrounds and parks is outpacing the price of gas. That's what has me worried.

I get about 24 MPG towing the Scamp. About 36 MPG not towing (Can get 40+ driving locally). So, if I drive 200 miles each way and stay in a $99/night hotel for two nights, that's $242. If I tow the scamp and stay in a $60/night campground, that's $186. These numbers roughly reflect a trip we have planned this summer. Most hotel rooms in that area are more than $99, though.
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We just drove 1500 milea to FL to pickup our 'new' 1991 Scamp 16 Side Bath. It took us four days 2 motels ($77 total due to a connection) and 1 relative's bedroom (Dinner $72) plus $188 for gas averaging 29 mpg.

Though the motels were very nice, included breakfast, you don't have that 'at home' feel you have in your trailer. The king size bed is so large compared to our Casita/Scamp you wake up feeling you've been sleeping alone.

It is painful to put $50 worth of gas in the Honda. I'm afraid it will soon be $5 a gallon and as Jesse wrote it's not just gas because all prices eventually track energy prices.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Another interesting thing about gas prices:

After selling my previous car (a 2003 VW Golf TDI), I sat down and calculated the cost of ownership. I drove the car for approximately 6 years and 145,000 miles. This car got exceptional fuel economy (being a turbodiesel) and was relatively trouble free, although maintenance was more expensive than my old Mercedes! I figured that fuel (diesel, not gas) came to just around 20% of the cost of ownership. Keep in mind, though, that this includes spending up to $4.999 for diesel fuel!

I expect fuel to be a larger percentage of the cost of ownership for my current car (a Toyota/Scion xD) for three reasons: 1) it gets fewer MPGs than the TDI. 2) I tow much more often with the Scion than I did with the TDI. 3) Maintenance is going to be cheaper with the xD.

My point (and I do have one) is that there are many other things that add into your cost per mile, even if you don't think about them at the time: Car payments, insurance, oil, filters, scheduled and unexpected maintenance, etc. These things don't really change when it comes to towing vs. not towing. About the only thing that changes is the fuel economy. When all that is factored in, towing your FGRV becomes an even better deal compared to getting a hotel/motel room.

Something to think about: At the peak of diesel fuel prices back in 2008, it took $80+ to fill the tank on my VW Golf. Gasoline was more than a dollar cheaper than diesel for most of that time. These days, diesel is usually priced about the same as premium gas... or about $30 cents more than regular unleaded. $80 to fill a compact car! The 1983 Mercedes 240D that I drive back in the early 90s had a custom made 52 gallon tank... it would have cost $260 to fill that beast a few years ago!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but the Casita FD is winning so far!
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I expect fuel to be a larger percentage of the cost of ownership for my current car (a Toyota/Scion xD) for three reasons: 1) it gets fewer MPGs than the TDI. 2) I tow much more often with the Scion than I did with the TDI. 3) Maintenance is going to be cheaper with the xD.
So my question is, do you tow your Scamp with the Scion xD??

Class 1 hitch or class 2??

Closed Thread