Question: Will current gas prices curb the distance of your trips? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #71

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Ohio
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to 5thwheelreviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
on the news today they're talking about it hitting $6 a gallon now by summer....

Yeah, it will probably hit around six bucks a gallon, then they'll lower it to 5.50 and everyone will feel like they're getting a great deal

http://www.holmanrv.net
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #72

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
on the news today they're talking about it hitting $6 a gallon now by summer....
What news do you watch?

I was laughing at the news yesterday... they had an "expert" on there who said that the price might level out soon... or maybe keep going up. Gee...ya think? I guess the price of gas is all they have to talk about these days.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #73

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's going to at least $5.00 because that # is stuck in their head, just watch. Now also believe it or not the price of gas is actually causing me and my family to move back to the midwest, from Texas of all places where gas should be affordable but it's not because I live in the desert near a self proclaimed tourist area.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #74

Maryland
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
It's going to at least $5.00 because that # is stuck in their head, just watch. Now also believe it or not the price of gas is actually causing me and my family to move back to the midwest, from Texas of all places where gas should be affordable but it's not because I live in the desert near a self proclaimed tourist area.
Being close to oil reserves doesn't account for much. It's not like the state or US gov't is pulling the oil out of the ground and handing it over to us. For-profit companies, many of the foreign, are taking the oil out and selling it to us at a hefty profit. That's why I laugh when people say we need to drill offshore in order to bring the price down... who do they think is drilling... uncle Sam?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Ohio
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to 5thwheelreviews
The problem isn't supply or where it's coming from. The problem is that we allow oil speculation on Wall Street. Gasoline and diesel fuel should be treated like any other utility. It should be closely regulated, and we saw what gift Enron gave us when we allowed them to speculate on electricity. Higher fuel prices effect literally everything. I mean bananas don't walk to the grocery store - they have to hitch a ride on a plane and a truck - both which are burning kerosene. Fuel needs to be a regulated utility.
http://www.holmanrv.net
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #76

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've heard several times that if speculators weren't bidding up the futures prices, gas prices would not be rising like they are. It sounds right, in a way. But then I'm not sure I understand. Let me explain.

Let's suppose a bunch of people bought orange juice futures, betting that a hard freeze would hit Florida. It would push the futures price up for the time period when they were buying... say, January futures. But why would that make the actual orange juice price rise? There would still be ample OJ supplies in Nov and Dec. And if the freeze did not hit in January, the price would stay low... the folks who bought futures would lose their money, that's all that would happen.

So I don't get how it raises actual gas prices when the gas futures get bid up by speculators buying futures. Still plenty of gas and oil. Refineries aren't at capacity, no production or delivery bottlenecks. Can someone explain to me the mechanism by which futures purchases drive up the current price of the actual product?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #77

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike Magee...GREED!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #78

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee
I've heard several times that if speculators weren't bidding up the futures prices, gas prices would not be rising like they are. It sounds right, in a way. But then I'm not sure I understand. Let me explain.

Let's suppose a bunch of people bought orange juice futures, betting that a hard freeze would hit Florida. It would push the futures price up for the time period when they were buying... say, January futures. But why would that make the actual orange juice price rise? There would still be ample OJ supplies in Nov and Dec. And if the freeze did not hit in January, the price would stay low... the folks who bought futures would lose their money, that's all that would happen.

So I don't get how it raises actual gas prices when the gas futures get bid up by speculators buying futures. Still plenty of gas and oil. Refineries aren't at capacity, no production or delivery bottlenecks. Can someone explain to me the mechanism by which futures purchases drive up the current price of the actual product?
Mike, I can give you one reason, although I am Sure there are other factors involved. I have a friend in the gas station business, so that's where this info comes from. His underground tanks have to be filled very often -- a few times a week. He only makes a few cents a gallon on regular unleaded. If he sees that the price is going up, he has to charge more for the gas he already has in order to be able to afford to refill his tanks. It's a very difficult game to play when prices rise quickly, and that's why a lot of gas stations go under in these situations.

Think about this: You buy 10,000 gallons of gas for $3 a gallon and sell it for $3.05 a gallon. You make $500 in profit, so now you have $30,500 in the bank. Then the wholesale price goes up to $3.20 a gallon. Now you need $32,000 to fill your tanks. That extra $1,500 has to come from somewhere. Now imagine that happening a few times a week for a few months!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #79

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We're not ready to sell our CRV. It has 140,000 miles on it and we're going for 250,000. When we're done we usually give them to the 'kids'.

It's been a great tow vehicle, taking us every where in NA with great gas mileage

Safe Travels

Norm
Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #80

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
We will probably not go very far on trips. Probably stay inside CAlif. Have two trips planned so far. Lake Casitas in Oct and Bishop this month.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #81

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
$4.16 and $4.22 at the two stations in Study Butte, Tx.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #82

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
No, gas prices will not affect our trip plans. As a matter of fact, we're going to be driving even further than we ever have with our Trillium. About 1000 -1100 km one way. Oh, it'll hurt a bit, and the pontiac firefly might struggle a bit with... KIDDING!

We have Toyota minvan as our tow vehicle
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #83

Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
I'm actually going to be doing a lot more driving this year and once I get my home I'll be in it full time so will be doing quite a bit of traveling. What else have I got to spend my retirement savings on?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #84

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
$1.39/litre at the Canadian Tire gasbar today. Guess we'll have to head south to take in their cheap gas.