Question: Will current gas prices curb the distance of your trips? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #99

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
If we would just uncap the wells from Tx. to Mt. we wouldn't need to import from anybody.
As someone said earlier, oil and NG need to be regulated like a utility.
If it comes out of this ground it stays here and not exported. And it needs to be a "DO NOT TOUCH" to speculators. Darn near everything we do is related to oil in some way and we are seriously paying dearly, and it is going to get a lot worse.

But as our president said a while back when we loaned Brazil $200 Million of borrowed money for oil exploration, "Brizil wants to be an oil producer and we want to be their customer".

My understanding is that Brazil has made agreement to sell most or all their oil to China.

Really pisses me off that our government, this administration, and our congress know what is going on and do nothing about it.

Kip

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #100

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Kip one of my favorite sayings, "That's your government at work".

Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #101

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
To top it off 'O' is suggesting an addition to the gas tax, the installation of electronics in your car to 'track and tax' each mile driven.

Norm
LoL! Who told you that? "O" himself? Or Drudge, Rush or someone else in that circle?? Please post your source. I would like to read all about it.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #102

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
We are driving to Alaska this summer, via Canada. We will do our best to support the economies of both great nations.... with no whining along the way.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #103

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
The Scamp and my husband have a 50-50 chance of going back to Western North Dakota to work in the oil industry. It's a choice we may not have control of here soon.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #104

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
So is that a good thing, Cyndi? I can't tell if Hubby was looking for employment so you're ok with it or if he wasnt so you're not, lol.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #105

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L. View Post
LoL! Who told you that? "O" himself? Or Drudge, Rush or someone else in that circle?? Please post your source. I would like to read all about it.
I thought this was a non political group. I take offense to having conservative commentators and other group members insulted by a rich liberal that can afford $5.00 a gallon fuel.

John Perry, A proud conservative.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #106

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelreviews View Post
Yeah, it will probably hit around six bucks a gallon, then they'll lower it to 5.50 and everyone will feel like they're getting a great deal
The spot market dropped nearly 30 cents per gallon last week and sweet crude dropped 14 dollars in the same time period... the price will drop under this kind of pressure as it has before and nobody will be rejoicing, they'll all just wait for the next cycle to panic and hyperbolize.
There may be some fluctuation in the near future, but this cycle has pretty much peaked.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #107

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J

I thought this was a non political group. I take offense to having conservative commentators and other group members insulted by a rich liberal that can afford $5.00 a gallon fuel.

John Perry, A proud conservative.
In Roger's defense, you were the one who mentioned Obama. The idea of taxing fuel based on miles driven (usually controlled by a GPS unit that radios a signal to the pump) has been around since the days of "Dubya". It wasn't his idea or Obama's. There was supposed to be a trial of this system going on in Oregon or Washington.

What's with the. "rich liberal" comment? Not to be political, but the democratic party hasn't typically been seen as the party of the rich. Quite the opposite. I am not putting down either party... Just seems to be the way it is. Unless you happen to know that Roger is rich, in which case I apologize.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #108

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
I'm curious what the logic would be of putting GPS type units in a vehicle to assist in calculating tax? Doesn't fuel tax do that anyway? The more fuel you buy, the more tax you pay. Drive a little, pay less tax. Drive a fuel efficient car, pay less tax than another driving a less fuel efficient vehicle. Tow a trailer, burn more gas, pay more tax. Taxing fuel at the pump seems to be an efficient way to collect taxes if that's what the authorities want to do. That isn't to say I like or dislike fuel taxes but rather a question/comment of the collection method.
Barrie
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #109

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Politicians in general have two concerns with respect to fuel taxes. Electric cars pay no taxes yet use the roads, and they forsee more of them. Mileage is improving with hybrids and non-hybrids and they'll be getting less tax per mile driven.

On top of this, fuel taxes that are supposed to go to road building and repair have been used to close budget deficits. Rather than truly cut spending and offend some part of their supporters, it's always easier for them to raise taxes.

I suspect we've warn this topic out, though it is something that directly effects our life style. I do believe it's important for us to be aware, but not to be angry with each other.

Norm
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #110

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Good (relatively) news on NBC this morning. Gas should drop $.50 this summer. I blieve that said due to demand lowering.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #111

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Anyway you look at it......

Gas is still cheaper than beer!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #112

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Big trucks pay tax at the pump, then pay taxes on the miles in each state and pay a heavy use tax when buying plates. And those are only the ones I know about.