Question: Will current gas prices curb the distance of your trips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Question: Will current gas prices curb the distance of your trips?

Next our car:
Real world 8.1 L average local driving 5.7 L or 6.7 L would be nice but that would be no trailer downhill with a tail wind in neutral; still 8.1 is not bad.
100 km / 62 mi
8.1 L per 100 km or 62 mi = 30 mpg US or 34 mpg CA; 4.5 L per CA gal good weather
Again real world wind hills stops towns getting as low as 28 mpg US
One way trip to Winnipeg 1876 km or 1166 mi the future desired trip is hilly so could be lower?
Cost one-way $217 or $433 round trip plus camp sites food and fun.
In the end we will still travel.
(Just a fun question)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Short answer: yes.

At over $4 a gallon I'm very glad the trailer is already up in Washington. So far only two trips scheduled; I'll probably add one more, but none will be very far. If it takes an extra tank of gas hauling the trailer, that would pay for a motel room.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Sure it will, It may stop all trips.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Probably not - we have done a decade's worth of a couple of trips a year to visit family/race bikes in northern europe, which puts US fuel prices into a certain perspective. And with the dollar value being so crappy against the euro, we are still looking at some significant cost savings by staying in north america.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Probably not - we have done a decade's worth of a couple of trips a year to visit family/race bikes in northern europe, which puts US fuel prices into a certain perspective. And with the dollar value being so crappy against the euro, we are still looking at some significant cost savings by staying in north america.

The price of gas will deter me to some extent, but then again, I figure that paying for gas is my only vice, ha, ha, so I will continue with my trips. Marg in NW California
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
$4.00 and $4.06 a gallon today in Study Butte today, the only two stations in town.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Jen,

I know what you're saying about European gas prices, you find the same issues in some parts of Canada. Traditionally in Europe the very high prices of gas in Europe are the result of a very high tax burden.

I think that the rapid increases in gas prices effect the prices of many other things as well. On our return to NH this week I found heating oil approaching $4. As a result of these increases everything we buy will increase dramatically. Unfortunately I don't believe $4 is going to be the high point with CA already over $4. How will RVers feel about $5 a gallon. O says to "get used to it". I guess we will.

There's no doubt it will cut back on travel. One headline today said "$5 possible by Memorial day" and another said '"Drivers starting to cut back on driving".

Our reason for purchasing a Scamp 16 was recognition that we were headed for higher gas prices and that we wanted to continue our travels. We feel we can RV until $9. Then it will be equivalent to driving a motorhome in the old days. It's also part of the reason that we tow with a Honda CRV, 23 mpg towing is sounding better every day.

Hoping the world smooths out and prices drop again,

Norm
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'll stop buying gas for the lawnmower before I stop pulling my Scamp for camping trips . Okay, time for a reality check... I'll just camp closer to home. As long as I'm not insight of the house and the flippin' phone, I can relax. YMMV
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hubby just read online $5 gal gas my Memorial Day due to the unrest in the Middle East! Oh My.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hubby just read online $5 gal gas my Memorial Day due to the unrest in the Middle East! Oh My.
Gas has hit $1.30 Liter here or X4 for $5.20 US Gallon but still will go on trips. In the end it is our fun time and will still want to get out
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Dawn and I just booked a 2 1/2 week trip to Jasper and Banff. We put extra in the budget for gas. We would rather give up any eating out and extra's than not going were we want. We usually have a good idea what money we will have available for a trip and figure what we can do on that. When we compared a car with hotel and eating out to the extra gas hauling the trailer, but eating in and lower costs per night, I figure it will be a wash.

We looked at using a tent for this trip 2 years ago, but would have had to get 6 nights of motel rooms for transit and area’s with one night stays (which we don’t like to set the tent up for). I still don’t think it will much more with the trailer. We will see!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We want to go to New Mexico for our son's 21st birthday but not knowing where we will be as far as employment will be a bigger deterent then gas prices. Besides we can just back the trailer further into the back yard and let people gawk at us camping.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
We normally travel around 100 miles or less so I dont think we'll change much.
And in reality if we are not at the campground with the vehicle parked most of the time, our two cars are buzzing around all over anyway. Seems we are hardly ever in the same car unless gone on a trip. My fuel bills are alot higher here than when camping.......Bruce
Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Gas price will not affect my trip plans. I am determined to have a good time during my summer vacations. I have the trailer and I'll use it.

But, uh... Norm, any chance you might want to sell that CRV?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
It is still cheaper to camp where you can cook your food than hotel rooms where you have to eat out. Either way, you still pay for the gas if you are driving.

CindyL
Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I'll cut back on driving around town, but not on camping.

Art
Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Camping is something we are not willing to give up. We will spend less on others things so we can still enjoy traveling with Tater Tot. Getting ready for a 10 day trip-then several smaller trips this summer. These camping trips keep us sane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Next our car:
Real world 8.1 L average local driving 5.7 L or 6.7 L would be nice but that would be no trailer downhill with a tail wind in neutral; still 8.1 is not bad.
100 km / 62 mi
8.1 L per 100 km or 62 mi = 30 mpg US or 34 mpg CA; 4.5 L per CA gal good weather
Again real world wind hills stops towns getting as low as 28 mpg US
One way trip to Winnipeg 1876 km or 1166 mi the future desired trip is hilly so could be lower?
Cost one-way $217 or $433 round trip plus camp sites food and fun.
In the end we will still travel.
(Just a fun question)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Gas price will not affect my trip plans. I am determined to have a good time during my summer vacations. I have the trailer and I'll use it.

But, uh... Norm, any chance you might want to sell that CRV?
The new CRVs have even more Horsepower (200hp) and better mileage. We're on our way to FL right now to pickup our Scamp. We'll probably spend a few weeks gettingthe Scampt ready and spend a little time in the pool before heading north.

Norm
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...The only problem with short trips is by the time we get back home the price of gas has jumped up by a dime a ltr.
I was saving to travel in retirement... now I have to spend to get there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Better make sure you have enough $$$ to get back home.

Here's a thought: Around $9USD a gallon in Europe. Most of the cost is taxes. I think the same applies here, most of the cost in taxes.
Closed Thread