Questions from small family newbies (with cat and a dog) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
Questions from small family newbies (with cat and a dog)

Dear Forum,

We picked up our 2016 Casita 17" Spirit Deluxe with (new to us) over the weekend (with front bath)
Some of the reason we picked this model were
* easy to tow/low mileage hit (based on research about 15mpg with 13 V6 Tacoma)
* we needed a small "full" package just for 3 of us + dog and cat
* we want to be able to take the camper big campers won't go (dry camp)

It met my expectations towing with a Tacoma. Towed it for over 600mi over 2 days.

It's also very maneuverable. While certainly on the lookout for space, we pulled into any gas station and non-RV accommodating fast food joints with some level of comfort, and we don't tow a lot in general (although towed some)

Our family are us (~40), daughter (~4) a pit bull and a cat.

Our animals are well behaved, chipped and kept healthy. They miss travelling with us. We couldn't take them on every trip, and we'll be able to take them more often in the future (and not torture our neighbor with litter box)

Onward to questions.
  1. is the best spot for cat litter box under the small bed? We can custom make one. No way we are putting one in the closet.. That storage space is too valuable
  2. Speaking of dogs/cats, any recommendations to protect the screen door bottom?
  3. With such limited storage, what space saving blankets (fleece/wool?) and mattress toppers people use?

I am sure I'll have more as we explore the trailer, but these are the questions we have so far..

Picture in 'registry' + avatar.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We traveled with a small dog and a cat in our FD. In the FD, we were able to put a small litter box under the forward captain's chair. I think putting it under the bed will work quite well.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
#3. We really like our RV super-bag.

https://www.rvsuperbag.com
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Name: Andrey
West Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
#3. We really like our RV super-bag.

https://www.rvsuperbag.com
I like the concept, but I am not sure the particular product would work for us.

Wife and I use own blankets of different thickness. There is a possibility of modifying or DIY (I saw a couple of DIY posts related to this product)
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Cat litter box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Dear Forum,

We picked up our 2016 Casita 17" Spirit Deluxe with (new to us) over the weekend (with front bath)

It met my expectations towing with a Tacoma. Towed it for over 600mi over 2 days.

It's also very maneuverable. While certainly on the lookout for space, we pulled into any gas station and non-RV accommodating fast food joints with some level of comfort, and we don't tow a lot in general (although towed some)

Our animals are well behaved, chipped and kept healthy. They miss travelling with us. We couldn't take them on every trip, and we'll be able to take them more often in the future (and not torture our neighbor with litter box)

Onward to questions.
  1. is the best spot for cat litter box under the small bed? We can custom make one. No way we are putting one in the closet.. That storage space is too valuable
  2. Speaking of dogs/cats, any recommendations to protect the screen door bottom?
  3. With such limited storage, what space saving blankets (fleece/wool?) and mattress toppers people use?

I am sure I'll have more as we explore the trailer, but these are the questions we have so far..

We recently picked-up a used BigFoot and the original owners had cut a small hole " like a mouse hole" into one of the dinette benches and that led to a hatch door to the outside where their cat could come and go into a attached screen room. I am assuming thats where they keeped the litter box. A Perfect setup. We have a 4lb dog that this might work for too. I know most people would never cut into the fiberglass and would consider this a big no no. But if it works, it works! Good luck with your travels.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Be sure to put a tag with your cell phone number on each animal. In the event they should stray while you are traveling pretty much everyone who would find them would call the number.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We keep a small plastic rectangular cement-mixing tray for a dog bed underneath the rear bed; I should think a kitty litter tray would work under the bed just fine.

BEST
Kathleen

"K"
Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Here's one example of a Screen Door Grill. They come in various patterns and in black, white, and aluminum.

https://www.campingworld.com/screen-door-grille-black

I have a white one with a pattern I like a lot better. I'd include a pic, but it's too cold, dark and windy right now to trek all the way out there.

Walt
Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Dear Forum,

Onward to questions.

We traveled with our cat for 14 years before she died last February. To protect our screen door and keep kitty in and other critters out we took a child safety gate, tore it apart so that all we had was the plastic diamond shape pieces. The one we got was exactly the width we needed. You can find them in thrift stores, garage sales or other places. We feel a little safer since they cover more of the door than the pretty scrolled things made for covering the door. We drilled little holes in the screen door and used short screws to attach the plastic pieces. They have to go on the outside so that the screen door closes. I hope my pictures will come through so it makes sense. We put the piece at the top so kitty couldn't get out up there. We did our motorhome and Casita. We put her litter box under the big bed but under any seat would work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4325.jpg   IMG_4324.jpg  

Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I guess I'm not getting it. If they go on the outside how do they protect the screen?
But they do suggest an option. I was thinking of the grill more for a dog, or kids, even club footed adults, but if a cat is involved I'm thinking your safety gate screens mounted on the grill might do a great job.

Walt
Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I guess I'm not getting it. If they go on the outside how do they protect the screen?
But they do suggest an option. I was thinking of the grill more for a dog, or kids, even club footed adults, but if a cat is involved I'm thinking your safety gate screens mounted on the grill might do a great job.

Walt
The pet can't go through the screen when on the outside at least. I guess you could put them on the inside if there's enough room to screw them in but on my door there wasn't. The pet could scratch the screen but not get out when on the outside. If you use one of the scroll type safety things then the pet could scratch the screen and a kitty could go through it by tearing it. In 14 years none of our screens ever got tore or ripped by our kitty. The safety gate protectors hold the screens good enough that dogs, kids or club footed people won't push it out. Once when our kitty got off of her harness when we were walking her and a dog scared her she ran to the RV and climbed up the screen diamond shapes. She climbed clear to the top of the top screen.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: ‘05 Casita
California
Mattress Topper

We use a memory foam topper from Costco. I cut it in 1/2 horizontally and we slipcover each 1/2 with a sewn together flat sheet for easy washing. When the bed is taken down, I roll each 1/2 and store it in a pillowcase (the slip cover makes this step much easier).
JImL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Litter box

Sadly, .we lost our 17 1/2 yr old Jack Russell b4 we had to deal with a litter box in our new Casita Indy this year.

I could never hava litter box, bks Ole Sparky thought a filled LB was a "doggiebuffet" ;-)

Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #14

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
On one of the Casita forums there is an excellent post with photos where a guy put the litter box on the bathroom floor with a simple flip top hard cover for when humans need the bathroom.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Have a piece of plexiglass/acrylic cut to the size you need for the bottom of your door and stick it to the frame with VHB tape. No holes. You could spray paint on the outside(screen side) and the dog/cat couldn't see out nor scratch up the paint.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote