Questions on buying a used casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I'm planning on purchasing a 03 17ft casita 400 miles from home if all goes well. my TV is a gmc sierra 5.3L. Do I need to get a brake controller to tow the casita home? What is the best way on checking if the refrig (3way) works well. (Should I ask seller to run the refrig on propane overnight prior to my inspection) .-Thanks
Riz O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
I pull a 16' with a 04 GMC XUV with no brake hook-up all the time with no problems... Just be sure to drive with it in mind... Can always add that after your home settled... Most owners are honest about what works & what does not. An 03 should be in good shape, iI would think... Check the tires & such & take it easy coming home.. Once home in your own element You can make it your own. Make sure you have the light plug necessary to connect to the 7 plug on Casita... If TV is only a flat 4 plug there are adapters you can use to get home with lights at least... Good luck & safe travels... Kenn
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Riz,
I would think twice before towing a 17 that far without trailer brakes. I connected my controller improperly one time and thus had no trailer brakes. The difference was amazing. I literally rolled through the first stop sign I came to!

If you plan to get the controller eventually, why not now?

On the refrigerator, it takes at least several hours to see any cooling.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To paraphrase Marv, if you plan on getting a controller, the sooner the better.

For two main reasons, it's easier on the tugs brakes and it's far cheaper to replace trailer brakes than most tug brakes.

Notice, I not once mentioned stopping.... to me it's a case of good economics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Thanks Donna. Let me give you another example. Before the Casita, we had pop-ups. After towing (and stopping) 1200 lb trailers without trailer brakes, stopping the 3000 lb Casita was hard to believe. It was like the trailer wasn't even there.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I'd agree with others - get the brake controller as soon as possible. It makes a big difference - and just being careful yourself doesn't allow for the Yahoos that will cut you off and force a quick stop.

I'd ask for a full tour of the camper - like a housing inspection. If for no other reason than so you know how everything works (and as a double check that it does work). The manuals are often less than clear (I find the fridge especially difficult to understand - it often covers several models none of which seem to operate exactly like mine).

Good luck! I'm sure you're going to love your new trailer
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I'd agree with others - get the brake controller as soon as possible. It makes a big difference - and just being careful yourself doesn't allow for the Yahoos that will cut you off and force a quick stop.

I'd ask for a full tour of the camper - like a housing inspection. If for no other reason than so you know how everything works (and as a double check that it does work). The manuals are often less than clear (I find the fridge especially difficult to understand - it often covers several models none of which seem to operate exactly like mine).

Good luck! I'm sure you're going to love your new trailer
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I had a break controller installed since i'll need it anyway if this casita is as great as it is in pic's sent.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm planning on purchasing a 03 17ft casita 400 miles from home if all goes well. my TV is a gmc sierra 5.3L. Do I need to get a brake controller to tow the casita home? What is the best way on checking if the refrig (3way) works well. (Should I ask seller to run the refrig on propane overnight prior to my inspection) .-Thanks
Any other tips I sholud look for/ ask sellers in purchasing a 03 casita would greatly be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Any other tips I sholud look for/ ask sellers in purchasing a 03 casita would greatly be appreciated.
Yes, things on this list from the left Nav bar: Buyers Check List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, things on this list from the left Nav bar: Buyers Check List
We brought home our egg safely. Thanks for the tips and this forum.

Tags
casita