Questions on Older Trailers - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
Questions on Older Trailers

I'm back to the forum. I think the last time I was posting here was in September 2013 when I was headed for Arkansas to buy a used Lil Snoozy. I backed out of that deal not because of the trailer but my last second thoughts. A few weeks after that I bought a Class C in great shape locally. That rig sat at my house during the winter, then I sold it in the spring because I didn't think that was the right vehicle for me.

The only thing I have done since starting this RV research in October 2011, is I actually retired in April 2014 as planned. I thought I'd be on the road by now, but I'm not.

Since the spring I have changed tow vehicles twice. I have looked at and almost bought an older Class A Holiday Rambler. I'm still wanting to tow a fiberglass trailer around 17' with my Toyota FJ 4x4. I am also wanting to spend less than $10,000 for this trailer. I see a lot of them online so that is where my questions come from.

After owning the Class C, I became pretty familiar with the different systems and even did some repair on the rig itself, not systems. I know that you never know when you buy something used but I'm looking used for two reasons.

I don't see the need to buy brand new for a lot of bucks when I have never towed anything nor have I ever camped cross country. Traveled yes, but not camped. I can't justify the cost of a new trailer. I would like to try used as my break in period and even possibly keep the trailer long term, no matter the low cost.

I see many here that use older trailers, that are less than $10,000 in cost.

How do I know I am getting a good deal on the price for the age of the trailer? Look at NADA? Are there any things out of the ordinary RV system should I look for when looking at an older trailer? How old is too old in a trailer?

I know how to look for leak damage, rust, tires, wheels etc.

I am wanting to buy something fairly quickly but I just want to make sure I am covering all the bases before I spend $5-10K on an older trailer.

Thanks for any answers.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
No to NADA for pricing on older FG.
Look in the for sale archives here and on Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

These don't come up often, but there is a 17' Bigfoot for sale here within driving distance of you. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post472432

And use the buyer's checklist available for download.
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

Indiana
Thanks Roy ... good info.

I always look at the fiberglass site that list all the different trailers for sale. One thing I have noticed this year, the Casitas seem to have gone up in price compared to last year.

Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,

We have purchased 3 used trailers on Craig's list, all 16 feet, a Sunline, a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16. All were about 20 years old and the prices varied from $900 to $6000. The two fiberglass trailers did not have any significant problems when purchased and were capable of immediate camping.

We just check to see if everything's working, particularly the fridge and. the floor is solid.

It's amazing to me how solid these little molded fiberglass trailers are. Our son has a 1977 Scamp 13 and it still works well though he did have to replace a part of the floor when he bought it.

One thing about trailers in general, is that owners really don't use them very much. We have bought 3 used RVs where the stove had never been cooked on. We bought a 20 year old trailer where the family had only used it 2 weeks a year.

Buying a used trailer is not like buying a used car.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steve,

One thing about trailers in general, is that owners really don't use them very much. We have bought 3 used RVs where the stove had never been cooked on. We bought a 20 year old trailer where the family had only used it 2 weeks a year.

Buying a used trailer is not like buying a used car.
Norm that is one thing I have not thought about for the 3 years I've been studying this form of travel ... people don't use them a lot so they are not like buying a used car.

When I returned to thinking of buying older and using it ... I immediately thought of you and your wife using yours 2/3 of the year.

Thanks for your reply and this information.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Florida
Steve,

There's a secondary factor against buying new beyond the cost. You'll see a thread by the very clever David B. on the forum. He's bought a new Snoozy and is in the process of modifying it for extended travels, even new they require work to fit the individual. He was just as clever with his Scamp 13. New or old you are likely to be doing modifications.

There is much that can be learned about trailer travel on this site, or better yet by attending a fiberglass rally. When there's one in your area be sure to go and do a walk around. Usually on Saturday they have an open house and just looking and talking to the owners is a great education and often there is at least one rig for sale.

Even if his trailer

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

Indiana
I'll look up David's posts.

I will keep an eye out for any fiberglass trailer rally's in the area (200 mile radius). It would be a great place to not only see different trailers but also different personal modifications.

Last summer a man 30 miles from me had two Casitas that he was refurbishing them. I had cash in hand but once again backed away because of doubt traveling with my hounds. The were the Freedom and Spirit Deluxe. The problem was I wanted the 17' but the Spirit floorplan which was the 16' trailer.

I inspected every inch of both and sat with him for almost two hours talking about his experiences in camping with Casitas. He was at the age he had to stop traveling and these two trailers would be the last ones he would refurbish.

I have found a couple of trailers here today that I am very interested in and will be making contact with the owners.

I recently canceled my order at Escape for a new 19'. Great great trailer and the thing I liked about them was the chance to pick your own options and any modifications they would do during the building process. Later I just couldn't justify the cost based on my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steve,

There's a secondary factor against buying new beyond the cost. You'll see a thread by the very clever David B. on the forum. He's bought a new Snoozy and is in the process of modifying it for extended travels, even new they require work to fit the individual. He was just as clever with his Scamp 13. New or old you are likely to be doing modifications.

There is much that can be learned about trailer travel on this site, or better yet by attending a fiberglass rally. When there's one in your area be sure to go and do a walk around. Usually on Saturday they have an open house and just looking and talking to the owners is a great education and often there is at least one rig for sale.

Even if his trailer
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

Florida
David's Snoozy thread.

Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy mods in progress.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Some people get luck buying used, others not lucky. I bought new and if I had it do over, I'd still buy new. These fiberglass trailers don't depreciate like an automobile does, so one great shape is not much different in price plus you get full warranty on the trailer and the appliances.

After reading what some people here do to their trailers and how they modify them I would be really reluctant to buy used. It would certainly take a lot of looking and determining what kind of crazy stuff was done to it.

There you have another point of view.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Some of us don't really have the option of buying new. I live in N. Florida and am not up for the long drive to most of the plants to buy new. I would be worried about service several hundred or even thousands of miles from the plant. Also, I can not at this point in my life justify the expense of new anyway. But maybe someday, a new Escape 19 and appropriate Tug is a dream right now.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Florida
I think the new versus old discussion is partly where you are in your personal RVing life. For us, we bought our first trailer to use for only 2 months for a cross Labrador trip on a 1000 mile dirt road, figuring our beloved motor home would not like it. We planned to sell it after the trip.

It turned out that we liked that little small trailer, so we started used..and stayed that way. If you know what you want, or if it's not available used like the Eggcamper, Snoozy, bigger Escapes or even Olivers, you'll probably be buying new. If you're new to small trailers or just starting out, that's another matter, and used may make sense.

Aa is usually the case we are all different, at different places in our lives, certainly have different resources and different needs. Fortunately their are a wide range of options, many manufacturers, many prices and choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #12

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I would be worried about service several hundred or even thousands of miles from the plant.
If you had a problem with an Escape, which is unlikely ( appliances exempt ), you would be told to take it to an RV place near you for repair under warranty.
It's more likely that an appliance would be the problem so you would just look up the nearest warranty service center and take it there for repair under warranty.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

Florida
Tom,
The appliances in an RV seem to be pretty reliable. They are very basic, even more so in an older RV. They typically have very little in the way of electronics and even then it's usually on one replaceable circuit board. Outside of the fridge RV appliances are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable.

In general I would not expect an appliance to fail during the warranty period. For most they don't get used enough to fail during their warranty period.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #14

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Had my furnace replaced under warranty. The 'lifetime lubricated' bearing gave out.