Questions on some specific scamp options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
It looks like we have decided to go with a Scamp 16SD no bathroom. I need some specific information from more experienced 'Egg Folk". There will be just 2 of us and 2 dogs traveling and we are the type that like to get out and about and see things, not sit ins. Will be towing with a full size pickup, so weight should not bee a problem. We will be doing a fair amount of dry camping.

1) Awning vs screen tent. Do you favour one over the other? Would both be used or would that be overkill.

2) Extra lighting: Would you get them and where would place them?

3) Fridge: Is the 1.9 cu ft really useful? Is the 4 cu ft one a better choice?

4) Any other hints or ideas you can throw our way would be appreciated.

Sandy
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Awning works well for us. Don't have to bother packing a tent. It's always there.
I think we had the 4 cu ft refer which was great. 1.9 must be awfully small.
Make sure the 44" wide bed is wide enough for 2. The deluxe is wider.
Plenty of lights in mine.
Wouldn't be without the bathroom but each to their own.
Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Get all the overhead cabinets, lighting everyplace you want to seat and eat/read. You can change out to other fixtures, but the wiring will be done.

I bought a case awning for my trailer, the kind Casita puts on. I travel alone most of the time and wanted one I could setup easily and take down just as easily. I've seen to many people fight with the Scamp awning.. so I can't recommend it.

I also don't camp where there are bugs... slugs don't fly! If you do camp in a buggy area(s), a screen room will increase your living space as you can set it up wherever needed... like over the picnic table, which MAY not be right next to the trailer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I useboth the awningand the screen tent. Also I do not have the bath shower, andI do not miss it.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
You will appreciate the larger refrigerator. We have the small size and have to supplement with an ice chest.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We like our awning, but the Scamp awning is a real pill to pull out and stow. You might consider getting Reace at Escape Trailers to install an awning for you instead.

We love our bigger 'Fridge.

I am adding lights to the exterior of our trailer to make setup easier.

The screen door is well worth the price.

As for lights . . .

I really don't like the lighting options Scamp (or most other RV vendors) offer. The reading lights are OK (for incandescent lights), but the standard rectangular lights do a lousy job of providing even, pleasing, and usable lighting. We've pretty much replaced or stopped using most of them.

Here's what we do use. Each corner over the dinette has a reading/task light, but for overall lighting I attached four warm-ish white LED strips to the wood frame around our vent fan as a "ceiling" light and wired them into a little red push button in the fan housing (under the knob that opens the vent). It provides nice, even lighting over the dinette table. Really lights the space up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Jun29NewLEDlighting.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	26040

Those square lights also do a pretty poor job of lighting up the kitchen space well. These days I'd probably go off to eBay and buy two warm-white, meter-long, self-adhesive, and waterproof LED strip-lights ($25 or so each), cut them to length and mount them under the front bottom edge of my upper kitchen cabinets. Those strip lights were not available when I installed my kitchen lights, so I installed LED puck lights at roughly 10" intervals over our counters. Once again, these provide lots of very even lighting right where we need it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Jul05CabinetDoorsSS.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	26041

Those three lights (one around the fan and one over each counter) are easily the most used (and useful) lights in our trailer. With those in mind, I'd have Scamp install a Fantastic Fan over the dinette (it's something we use often anyway) so I'd have 12v wiring to the roof and a rectangular light at one end of each counter and make plans to replace them with LED shortly after getting the trailer. That way you'll get much better lighting and use much less electricity when you're boondocking.

Beyond that, reading lights in all four corners and two of those rectangular lights (easily converted to LEDs) in different locations in the entry area. Possibly also a double-rectangle over the gaucho up front.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thanks to everyone who posted so far. This is just the kind of info that we want. People on this board are just <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Great</span>.

Sandy :
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp