Questions on the Scamp 5th Wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All,
This is my first post although I have been lurking for some time now. I think I may want to get a used Scamp 5th Wheel and I have a couple of questions for all you Fiberglass Veterans out there.

1. What year did Scamp stop putting a front window in its 5th Wheel. I like the version without the front window and with the side bath so I could convert it to front to rear bed layout.

2. I currently have a 2004 Ford Ranger extended Cab wit the 3.0 engine and 4.10 rear. Does anyone out there tow a Scamp 5th Wheel with this truck and if so how does it perform for you?

3. How functional is the bathroom/shower in the 5th Wheel?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
I have a 5th wheel with the side bath. Components-wise the bathroom/shower is quite functional; space-wise, it's a pretty tight fit. Relatively speaking, I'm not that big and I've often wondered how taller, wider people fare in that small space. Having been inside the version of the 5th wheel with the bath across the front, I have to say I much prefer the side bath layout, though, because the rest of the trailer feels so much more open to me.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
2. I currently have a 2004 Ford Ranger extended Cab wit the 3.0 engine and 4.10 rear. Does anyone out there tow a Scamp 5th Wheel with this truck and if so how does it perform for you?

Our 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L with the 3.73 axle does OK. We last month we took the 5er over the continental divide and back, driving 60-ish most of the time and getting an average of just under 17MPG for the trip. It can be sluggish in the hills, though. We dropped almost to 45 an a few of the steeper grades. Not sure how the 4.10 axle would do, but I think it has a lower rated tow capacity.

As for the 5er side bath/shower, we have it, but . . .

At best I'd say it's cramped. So cramped that I would rather spend my quarters at the camp shower than use our shower in the trailer, and most every place that has hookups has a shower, too. As for when we don't have hookups, I installed a fresh water tank with double the capacity in our trailer and still don't think we have enough water to run a shower. I sponge bathe and wash my hair in the kitchen sink when we dry-camp; that uses about a quart or so of our precious water supply.

Some day I may install an "outdoor shower." That could be handy for dog washing and getting sand off ourselves when we're planning a short dry-camp weekend or have hookups.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Peter's description of cramped is putting it mildly. Is it functional? Would depend on who you ask. I can get clean.. Navy-shower style. My daughter who drains a 40 gallon hot water heater on a daily basis said all she feels is a dirty-wet because our 6 gallon hot water heater is barely enough hot water to get her feet clean. It's definitely a sit-on-the-throne while bathing experience. But, this is camping and works. Every inch/foot used for a bathroom takes space from somewhere that may be more useful for other types of needs. I don't party in the bathroom, merely use it as necessary. The side-bath Scamp 5th wheel (and 16 footer) definitely opens up the entire trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Scamp has told me they deliver the 5th wheel with a Ranger 3.0 liter so.......

I found a front bath model as I can not imagine using the side bath after "standing" in a few of them.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #6

Thanks for all the responses. I really would like a front to back bed arrangement but those of you out there that have the side to side bed can you tell me if you feel it's big enough? I'm 5'10" and I just want to be comfortable and if I get need to get up in the middle of the night I really don't want to have to crawl over my wife to use the bathroom.

Can anyone tell me what year did Scamp stop putting in the front window and also what year did they start installing the front bathroom?

Thanks again,

Tony
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Our 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L with the 3.73 axle does OK. We last month we took the 5er over the continental divide and back, driving 60-ish most of the time and getting an average of just under 17MPG for the trip. It can be sluggish in the hills, though. We dropped almost to 45 an a few of the steeper grades. Not sure how the 4.10 axle would do, but I think it has a lower rated tow capacity.
Wow, That must have been a really wild ride pulling your Scamp with the Ranger over the Continental Divide. I would love to take a trip like that but we don't have anything bigger than large hills here in south Texas. I've seen your pics of the mods you have done to your Scamp and they are great!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Tony,

We had a 1994 standard with side bath. The bathroom ceiling was too low for my 6' hubbie. I took 1 shower in it and was constantly hitting my elbows. We now have a 1997 deluxe with front bath and it is definitely roomier. In both Scamps we sleep side-to-side. His head and feet touch both walls so he sleeps slightly angled. Thankfully I'm short and can spare the space. One major difference between our 2 models was the amount of extra storage space in the deluxe front bath.

As for the front window, I have one in the 1997 and a friend with a 2005 doesn't have one. If you call Scamp they can give you a better answer.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Our 5er built in Oct. 1995 was the first to not have the front window, after that it became an option
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Our 5er built in Oct. 1995 was the first to not have the front window, after that it became an option
Thanks Lyndon, I was given to understand it is an option too. They'll put one in if you want, but really discourage it. Just one more leak area. How many 5th wheels have you seen where the gravel guard is always down... most of them. Have to stand in the bed of the tug to take it off and since it doesn't open, doesn't provide ventilation.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Peter, if you look in your Ranger's Owner's Manual, it should have all the tow ratings for the various combinations of body, engine, transmission and rear end ratio.

If you don't have the manual, you can download it from Ford (I downloaded mine anyway so I can easily search it by key-word).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Hi Tony - my wife and I picked up our new 5th Monday 09/29 - and we have been camping our way on vacation. I am 6'1" and she is 5'7". We fit fine. I **DO** nearly touch both walls. But I have already adapted to sleeping - I sleep with my head as far forward as I can, and my feet nearly in the middle of the passenger side loft window. That slight angle is MORE than enough to make it comfortable. Now, in OUR case, SHE gets up first, so her aft (by the bathroom bulkhead" makes sense. If you are the one that is up first / more often, it would make sense for YOU to sleep aft. Just slide down the stairs.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp