Questions on various trailers in the Albums??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
I have looked at the Albums and I must say, there are a lot of interesting trailers in there.

What I would like to know is who has the following trailers because I would like to ask them some questions - like weight, living space, etc.:

Compact Jr.
The Egg
Lite House
Trails West

And the last one the Unik - I am specifically interested in the bunk bed arrangement. Did you do this yourself? What did you use? How is it working out? Anything you would do differently?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
My 1974, 13ft. Ventura weighs 1500 lbs. It look similar to the Beachcomber, and same layout. My maiden voyage last summer was 6,000 mi. and it handled the higway just fine behind my 5 cylinder, GMC Colorado extended cab truck. It hugged the road even with big semi trucks going by. We kept up with all the traffic including often passing large rigs. Gas mileage was around 20 mpg.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #3

That is a nice trailer but unfortunately, too heavy. I have a 4 cylinder Saturn Vue as a future tow vehicle.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Jan, here's a link to Matt's last thread on the Unik. I don't know if he got it sold or not:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...305&hl=unik

Roger
Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #5

It's a lovely trailer and would like to have it but it is too big for us. We only have a 4 cylinder Saturn Vue so our maximum would be 13 foot.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jan,
I own a 1973 Compact Jr. that I've had for 2 years. It weighs 1400 lbs. loaded for camping and has a tongue weight of 180 lbs. I tow it with a 2002 Toyota Sienna minivan. I average 16 mpg and have no problems with towing. The interior of a Jr. is a 10' X 6' box and the bed (made from a large dinnette) is 70" X 70". We have a 3 burner propane cooktop, small sink, 12 gallon on-board water storage, microwave (not original), 5000 BTU air conditioner (not original), and a 4 cu. ft. dorm frig. (not original).

The Compact Jr. is a very basic trailer and lacks many features of newer units. It has no bathroom, no furnace, no 12 volt system, no hot water heater, and no brakes. We have adapted our camping style to fit the trailer's features and love our little home. We bought it as a temporary project, but now think we will camp with it until we are no longer able to RV.

Tom Trostel

photos at the link below:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex...31610373&f=
Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jan,
I forgot to mention that the Unik is very rare. The only one I know of in the U.S. is the one pictured in the album. It was imported from Canada by a Canadian Air Force member who was training at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. He sold it there and it has since been sold again and is in Dallas. Tom Trostel
Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Jan,
I own a 1973 Compact Jr. that I've had for 2 years. It weighs 1400 lbs. loaded for camping and has a tongue weight of 180 lbs. The Compact Jr. is a very basic trailer and lacks many features of newer units. It has no bathroom, no furnace, no 12 volt system, no hot water heater, and no brakes. We have adapted our camping style to fit the trailer's features and love our little home. We bought it as a temporary project, but now think we will camp with it until we are no longer able to RV.
Tom, the Compact Jr. would be exactly what we are looking for. Basically, we would use it as a motel room.

Our VW needs a new alternator right now but hubby isn't sure that he wants to continue traveling in it. We have NO heat or air while we are driving. The air isn't so bad but the no heat is horrible. Once we are set up for camping, we are very comfortable because we have either electric, propane or catalytic heaters.

For the past two summers, we have been tent camping. We are getting to the point that getting UP from the floor is getting harder and harder and I am definitely a "fair weather" tent camper.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #9

The Unik is just too big and too heavy for our needs. Too bad because it is a lovely trailer.

I do have a question about the back bunk bed. Did it come like that or did you put in in? It looks like it would be sturdy enough for an adult.

After looking at the pictures of the Unik, I'm wondering if we could put in a bunk bed type thing in the back of a 13 foot trailer (Boler, Casita, Burro types) and have the little dinete in the front. That would be the best of both worlds. Hubby and I just can't sleep together in a double bed - we both get very crabby about our lack of sleep.

I know one of us could sleep in the front dinete but I don't want to be making up and taking down a bed every day.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #10

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
After looking at the pictures of the Unik, I'm wondering if we could put in a bunk bed type thing in the back of a 13 foot trailer (Boler, Casita, Burro types) and have the little dinete in the front. That would be the best of both worlds. Hubby and I just can't sleep together in a double bed - we both get very crabby about our lack of sleep.
See Bunk Bed Over Rear Dinette
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #11

Thanks Donna! That is just what I am looking for as a bunk bed. A double bunk would be perfect - lots of room to spread out for both of us. Neither one of us get too claustaphobic in the VW and there isn't much room between the bed in there either.

Now, I just need to get the trailer. I will talk to hubby about the Scamp tonight. Alabama is a long was for us to go for a weekend but maybe we could meet this other person half way.