Quiet but busy - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #1

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Well Hello again, Just got back from 2 weeks up at the campground and glad to be back home with the wifey but my house-hold chores are keeping me busy for the 2 days off I have.
After the Memorial day big weekend things have slowed down and the weather hasn't help but things still all have to be done and we are kept hopping doing things that, once school is out and campers really start coming in July, can not be done, we need to do now.
The Forestry Dept. has their standards on how things should look in the National Forest so all the trees that had to come down after the winter and stacked in the field had to be cut an split so 8 of the camp hosts got together and worked a long day cutting and splitting the wood and with temps now getting into the 90's it was real hard work on some of them but we plugged away at it for a good 10 hours and got 90% of it done.
I did notice that that last 10% took another week to get worked up abut it is all gone now.
The wild life is causing quite a stir at my camp-ground.
The bear has been making his nightly rounds but late at night so nobody sees him but I have found scat (nothing smells as bad as bear poop when disturbed) and heard him in the woods crashing trees down looking for grubs.
A moose wandered into the campground given everyone a look at him, so that was nice he visited.
The biggest problem are the raccoons.
When telling our guests about the precautions against the wild life they seem to thing this doesn't apply to the coons but I tell them I would rather have 10 black bear then one coon as they are brazen enough now to come up and steel your sandwich out of your hand now, because they expect it.
One couple, who had reservations for 5 nights actually left after 3 sleepless nights with the coons, but if they only did as told and kept all food and garbage in cars and not in tents they would have been fine but I think they were scared and the last day, talking to them and hearing then describe how it was making a sniffing sound all around the tent, I informed him that it was more then likely the bear and not the coon and that was it.
Upon cleaning up the site after they left I did find some shads of broken styrofoam cooler so their food must not have been in the car that night so they left to a motel where they could get a few good nights sleep.
Well, I am not looking forward to the next week of regular maintenance work such as repairing and painting of tables but then the 4th of July will start the busy time with the public will start.
Friends suggested I should write a book called "Life Behind the Out-House Door" but the other hosts have arrive and one of them has volunteered to do the bathrooms and her hubby and I clean the sites when campers depart.
The PR aspect of the job is what I like and is very important and, I do not think the other hosts have the skills in this department so it will be interesting to see how things go on the lower loop, which is their district.
My solar panel has just arrived after a month of back orders so it will be interesting on how that will work on keeping my battery charged up. I will need a digital meter instead of the multi-meter which is not calibrated enough to read (maybe it is me)
Well maybe you can answer a Question put to me this past week from a camper.
Q. When do the dear turn into moose???

Will write again when I get to a computer and hope to have some picts to share.
Gerry

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... Q "When do the dear turn into moose"??? Thats simple!!! " HEY DEAR... look. Isn't that a moose over there"?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Gerry,

So glad to hear from you! I don't know about anyone else on the forum, but I've been waiting for you to write an update!! Sounds like things are getting better for ya!

I'll never look at a moose the same after the question that was posed to you! (Although here in Ohio, if I did see a moose at at campground, I'd have a few other questions)

Keep up the great work and keep us posted!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Enjoyed reading about your adventure!

Quote:
Friends suggested I should write a book called "Life Behind the Out-House Door"
hey go for it!!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Gerry, Believe me when I say, After this summer you will have enough stuff to fill a book........................ The wonderful world of PR will fill the first 8 chapters alone! LOL...................... Robin
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Delighted to hear your latest stories, Gerry. You seem to have a wildlife theme running in your posts - wild humans one time, and now an interesting variety of critters. Hope your humans behave themselves!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #7

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Cool

Quote:
Delighted to hear your latest stories, Gerry. You seem to have a wildlife theme running in your posts - wild humans one time, and now an interesting variety of critters. Hope your humans behave themselves!

The great thing about the animals is they use thier brains to think with and humans well,.,., You know...
Will write next week
Gerry
Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #8

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The great thing about the animals is they use thier brains to think with and humans well,.,., You know...
Will write next week
Gerry
Hi: I must be an animal then as I tell Transit " I can sit on my brain and think at the same time" LoL. Looking forward to reading more "Tales from the NH. Forest".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Quote:
but I tell them I would rather have 10 black bear then one coon as they are brazen enough now to come up and steel your sandwich out of your hand now
Great reporting! Keep it up!
I'm glad the raccoons aren't quite as brazen down here. One night, though, at Hanging Rock State Park, I made the mistake of spilling a little of the oil and bits out of a can of tuna, and late that night was visited 3 times by a raccoon desperate to find that quarry. Sitting alone by the fire near the middle of the night makes every snapping twig sound like Bigfoot attacking (overactive imagination), so I about jumped out of my skin the first visit. Luckily the critter had some scare in it, and eventually quit coming around!
Keep up the great stories...I especially like your take on the campers!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Your experiences make it easy to understand why some camp hosts let people quietly stay past the posted time limits if they are easy to get along with, keep a clean camp and are helpful around the campground. I have enjoyed that experience a number of times (not when CG is full, of course).