Quote of the day - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #29

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I have come to the firm conclusion that when folks see me towing my trailer on the interstate at 55 and 60 mph, they give a wide birth to "that crazy son of a gun"!!!

I use the interstate only when I have to. I miss too much otherwise.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Big Brother????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In 10-20 years Big Brother will solve this problem. Trucks and trailers in one lane at an electronically-governed towing speed and passenger vehicles in another lane also traveling at an electronically-governed speed. The traffic control computers will maintain safe vehicle separation in each lane. Passing is eliminated.

Tow rigs meet rigid specifications with periodic inspections and automatic weighings to make sure they can be safely driven at the predetermined speeds.

Fantasy?
Not to worry Jon, that very thing was predicted "Within 20 Years" in 1956, yet we are no closer now than then with this one exception.

There was a pilot project on the first carpool lanes on I-15 near NAS Miramar (Top Gun School) that GM underwrote, where they buried magnets in the road every 5 or so feet and then ran tests with trucks to see how close together they could safely run. It was about 5 miles long. The magnets were still visable as recently as 5 years ago but they have since been paved over.

Heres a link about one predicted control system, "Firebird-II to Control, over":

Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to worry Jon, that very thing was predicted "Within 20 Years" in 1956, yet we are no closer now than then with this one exception.

There was a pilot project on the first carpool lanes on I-15 near NAS Miramar (Top Gun School) that GM underwrote, where they buried magnets in the road every 5 or so feet and then ran tests with trucks to see how close together they could safely run. It was about 5 miles long. The magnets were still visable as recently as 5 years ago but they have since been paved over.
All that AND predigested food! What more could we ask?
Thanks Bob!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I liked the Singing Ground Controller in the Tower. That made it perfect.

BTW: I still have the Firebird-II key (shown at the beginning) that they gave out at the 1956 Motorama in San Francisco.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
That study seems obvious to me. It's not necessarily absolute velocity that matters - it's relative velocity that causes the problems.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVyoo View Post
That study seems obvious to me. It's not necessarily absolute velocity that matters - it's relative velocity that causes the problems.

Absolute velocity does matter when things go wrong. And they will anywhere outside a closed laboratory environment.

I do understand the point of relative velocity. The solution is not so obvious. Either you find a way to manage differing speeds to minimize interactions, or you require a uniform speed for all users (i.e., reduce everybody to the lowest common denominator). By and large we have chosen the former approach. Our great experiment with the latter proved spectacularly unpopular.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #35

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The key here is the relationship of speed to G loading if evasive action is needed.
The product of moving a fixed amount is squared with increase in speed.
Of importance is the .3 G limit for almost guaranteed safety. If the combination understeers at .3 G then the trailer and tow vehicle will be safe.
Faster means the G loading will be higher.
Personally not towing I drive about 72 mph and if being overtakenI just stay in the right lane.
If I am going faster than the traffic I am obviously catching, then I will pass as soon as it is safe. If I were not faster I would not have caught up with them.
I notice that 72 will result in your constantly being passed. The problem I have is that at 72 mph I will catch up with cars being passed by another car at a speed differential of about .003 mph. Trucks passing other trucks also are a problem.
I hate to dawdle next to a large truck or RV. If you have seen the result of a tire blowing out you will understand.
The trick is to plan ahead and make allowances earlier rather than later.
I will try to slow before getting to a stopped (red) light so that I don't lose very much speed after the light changes.