R-Pod 177 vs. R-Vision Crossover 189Q - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Newly interested
Washington
R-Pod 177 vs. R-Vision Crossover 189Q

My wife and I have been doing a little window shopping lately. We are pretty much in agreement on the R Pod being worthy, but saw the Crossover yesterday, and although it's not an eggish trailer, it had very nice features and loads of storage. Anyone familiar with R-Vision products? It's almost as light as the Pod.
MarkQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
RPod

I had an RPod 150. I had it for about a year. It was very spacious inside, and I liked the slide out. It also felt very flimsy, like the door felt like it was gonna break every time I shut the screen door. Also, I had a model where the bed is always a bed. There was a dvd/tv right over the bed. There wasn't a time when we used the trailer when I didn't worry about someone hitting their head on the darn tv/dvd.

Yet, I still like the spaciousness of it.

also, didn't like that it came with no manuals. It was very difficult to figure out how to light the heater.

I came to the idea that simpler is better. Less things to break.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mark, although there may be members here to give you assistance, I truly think you're in the wrong place since FiberglassRV is about all molded trailers which the R-Pod is not. I suggest you try IRV2.com, you should get a lot more help with your question there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

Washington
Thanks, Donna,I guess I am confustigated as I was under the impression that the R Pod was a fiberglass trailer. My bad. Sorry.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Not all fiberglass is created equal!

No reason to be sorry Mark, Donna was just trying to find you answers to your question. Hope her link helps you find what your looking for. It's just hard for us to answer question about trailers that are not molded fiberglass unless we have owned one before. Which might not be any of our members or just a handful and then they don't see your question and it goes unanswered. We like to be helpful....

The trailers that are the focus here on fiberglassrv are molded fiberglass. I do believe that the R-pod and R-vision are fiberglass panels/sheets. Again, not all fiberglass is created equal..... Our trailers are usually 2 piece's....... versus lots of panels put together. Good luck with your search!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
R Pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
My wife and I have been doing a little window shopping lately. We are pretty much in agreement on the R Pod being worthy, but saw the Crossover yesterday, and although it's not an eggish trailer, it had very nice features and loads of storage. Anyone familiar with R-Vision products? It's almost as light as the Pod.
There is a large price swing on R Pods List MSRP=$21,000 $19,000 = price in Duluth MN -$12 ,000= price in Ohio (Same Unit)
Liked layout , was NOT impressed with quality . I suggest you check the internet for reviews . Owners of 4 to 5 year old R Pods are reporting a lot of leak problems and that's the reason I went to molded fiberglass.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

Washington
Thanks for all your help. I apologize again for not understanding fully. I just thought fiberglass=fiberglass. I have gotten a couple of replies on the other site. And I'll need to go to a larger populated area to find a Casita or Burro or egg of some kind to look at. Eastern WA doesn't have a big dealer selection.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
Thanks for all your help. I apologize again for not understanding fully. I just thought fiberglass=fiberglass. I have gotten a couple of replies on the other site. And I'll need to go to a larger populated area to find a Casita or Burro or egg of some kind to look at. Eastern WA doesn't have a big dealer selection.
You won't find dealers for Casita or any other current production "molded" fiberglass trailer. Burro is no longer in business.

There's a listing on this site of current molded fiberglass trailers that you can contact. Many will give you the name of a current owner somewhere close to you. You also look at the section and find a rally or gathering that you attend. The gatherings are great places to see several brands at once.

Difference between R-Pod and molded fiberglass construction---molded fiberglass construction is usually made with two molds, one for each half of the trailer, Scamp, Casita, Escape and others. There's a top half and bottom half. Those are mated then fiberglass cloth is laid up over the seam creating a single piece. R-Pod and others are made with fiberglass panels. A frame, like a house frame, is made of either wood or metal. Then the panels are cut to size and attached to the frame. Everyplace there's a seam is a potential leak point. All those seams move as the trailer is pulled down the road. Eventually leaks will occur. No seams on our little molded fiberglass trailers to move and break the seal.

Scamp and Casita both have a long history. You'll see listings of people still using 1977 models of Scamp. Escape is up and coming and is considered to be a very nice trailer.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I suggest RV, then click on "Forum" and they list Travel Trailers and have a sub-forum for "Small TTs" and the forum is very active. They also discuss molded trailers too in that sub-forum. I think you can never get too many opinions when making a purchase and it doesn't take long before you see a pattern and it makes it much easier learning from the mistakes of others or should I say "decisions based on a lack of knowledge". I once saw the greatest floor plan on a standard RV and went looking for info there by running a search and learned that one family on their maiden voyage from Maine to WWD in FL was cruising down the highway and realized the roof of the trailer was peeling off and I think if I remember right, they lost a side panel also. They continued on but what a sad tale. Needless to say that after reading that one review, others followed with less astounding but disturbing posts. I have already made my share of mistakes and try to share those with others.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Cathy, are you trying to refer Mark to rv.net? Just rv might not get him there. But yes, that is someplace him might find more information.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link that Cathy mentioned: Open Road forums on RV.net

I also suggest IRV2.com also owned by Social Knowledge who owns FiberglassRV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #12

Washington
Thanks, all. You people are great. I appreciate it and will keep you posted on which direction we go.