Rabies Shots - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
Chances for domestic cats and dogs to contact rabies is slim. But if your animals come into contact with deer or other wild animals it does happen. I was just wondering,that's all, don't appreciate the wise cracks.Carl C is
Well, that's why I wanted to check with my vet before initiating rabies protocol. And I was upset with his staff for not letting me talk to him.
When my son was bitten by a free ranging dog 39 years ago I followed the dog up and down the streets till he went inside a house. I knocked on the door and asked them if they would please keep their dog confined for 10 days and
let me know if he acted sick. It was not an unprovoked bite. My son loved that dog and we'd been feeding him lunch for a couple months. My son just decided to jump on him one day (who knows what goes on in a 6 year old's mind?) and our vet told us the main sources of rabies in our county were feral cats and raccoons. (This is not that same county). The dog was fine, but the family was scared of lawsuits and got rid of it after the 10 days. It was such a nice dog too. I considered that one bite to be selfdefense.

DH did want me to take the shots "just in case". (I sure hope those emojis are hearts) He didn't want to be a widower he said. The feral in
question came in the house this morning, ate up the indoor cat's breakfast remnants, and is now enjoying the a/c sacked out in the cat tree.

I am paying a lady $300 to feed him and his buddy during the month we'll be gone to Canada. But I can't get them into carriers to take to the local spay, neuter, vaccinate, trap&release vet. They learned from the first time I did them, 5 years ago. Wary now. He's finally stopped running when I approach him.

I'll see what Humana covers if I get a bill from the Health Department