Rabies Shots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Rabies Shots

Have been awfully busy the last ten days or so, due to my stupidity of grabbing the feral at our lakeside cabin when we returned after a weekend away and seeing he had puncture wounds on his flank, and the he bit me when I tried to put him in the cat carrier. I don't really consider that an unprovoked attack. Then we had to contact animal control to see if we could trap him, because he hadn't had any more Rabies boosters since I had taken him in to be neutered about 5 years ago. Then I had to research rabies, and the different rabies shots as I am very allergic to eggs, which lets out the Rabavert injections. Animal Control and the Health Department directed me to the ER for tetanus shots and antibiotics,. When we hadn't gotten the cat trapped within 5 days I had to start the rabies shots.

The first shot was divided into 5 as there was 11.5 ml of immune globulin as well as the ant-rabies shot. The health department nurse gives painless shots. She is very, very good.

This was when we were trying to followup with the less than stellar results of DH's cataract surgery akso- two counties away...So I've not had tie to enjoy myself too much.
Have only 2 shots left to go now. I really wasn't too sure that I was exposed to rabies, unless the cat had been overwhelmed within 48 hrs, as he didn't have the puncture wounds when we left Suday - but did when we returned Tuesday. But, you know, looking at whether something is ossible but not probable, it's like playing RuSsian Roulette. The chances are you WON'T chamber a round, but IF you do, the chances of an unhappy outcome are 100%.
Same with rabies exposure.
Anyway, I'm back!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Wow, glad you took the precaution of getting the shots.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I read someplace that 90% of cats do not have the rabies shots. I wonder why it is not the law, like dogs that have to by law, be up to date. Just saying. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Have been awfully busy the last ten days or so, due to my stupidity of grabbing the feral at our lakeside cabin when we returned after a weekend away and seeing he had puncture wounds on his flank, and the he bit me when I tried to put him in the cat carrier. I don't really consider that an unprovoked attack. Then we had to contact animal control to see if we could trap him, because he hadn't had any more Rabies boosters since I had taken him in to be neutered about 5 years ago. Then I had to research rabies, and the different rabies shots as I am very allergic to eggs, which lets out the Rabavert injections. Animal Control and the Health Department directed me to the ER for tetanus shots and antibiotics,. When we hadn't gotten the cat trapped within 5 days I had to start the rabies shots.

The first shot was divided into 5 as there was 11.5 ml of immune globulin as well as the ant-rabies shot. The health department nurse gives painless shots. She is very, very good.

This was when we were trying to followup with the less than stellar results of DH's cataract surgery akso- two counties away...So I've not had tie to enjoy myself too much.
Have only 2 shots left to go now. I really wasn't too sure that I was exposed to rabies, unless the cat had been overwhelmed within 48 hrs, as he didn't have the puncture wounds when we left Suday - but did when we returned Tuesday. But, you know, looking at whether something is ossible but not probable, it's like playing RuSsian Roulette. The chances are you WON'T chamber a round, but IF you do, the chances of an unhappy outcome are 100%.
Same with rabies exposure.
Anyway, I'm back!!!
Mitzi, I feel for you. I got bitten by a feral about 6 years ago and had to have the rabies series. The shots (one in each shoulder and one in each hip the first day, followed by a few more periodically) didn't hurt but the out of pocket cost after BC/BS paid their share was $1,800. Painful!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Mitzi, I feel for you. I got bitten by a feral about 6 years ago and had to have the rabies series. The shots (one in each shoulder and one in each hip the first day, followed by a few more periodically) didn't hurt but the out of pocket cost after BC/BS paid their share was $1,800. Painful!
WHOA!!
I'd like to see Humana (my carrier) tell me treatment wasn't medically necessary, as it did after the glaucoma surgery (I was allergic to the eye drops usually used in treatment!!!)
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #6

Florida
Rabies exposure is usually an emergency matter IF the animal is symptomatic and if your exposure is on the face. Otherwise it's really, really urgent. It incubates over months to years according to what I read, and is not contagious until symptomatic.

I'm not telling my insurance carrier, but I figure since the feral had to have been bitten during the 48 hrs we were gone, the chances were he didn't have enough of a viral load to be shedding and contagious. Something can be possible without being probable.

We feed the ferals while we're at the lake cabin most of the week. They are useful for keeping down the rats etc that ravaged my vegetable garden prior to their arrival. I can't domesticate them as we already have 4 indoors (mostly) cats and this feral has indicated, that while he would love for us to adopt him, he would do his best to be an "only" cat. Can't have that.

My "inside mostly" kitties have the 3 yr Rabies shots and get annual checkups with the lake area vet, who charges less than half what we used to be charged for cat care in the city.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CPW... I haven't had my rabies shots yet... but I've been told that my "Bark is worse than my bite".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #8

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: CPW... I haven't had my rabies shots yet... but I've been told that my "Bark is worse than my bite".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Be care. If you do bite someone, the "authorities" may decide you need to be put down!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #9

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
WHOA!!
I'd like to see Humana (my carrier) tell me treatment wasn't medically necessary, as it did after the glaucoma surgery (I was allergic to the eye drops usually used in treatment!!!)
BC/BS did pay a decent chunk of the cost. The $1,800 was copay, and I had a good plan (was working for the Water Management District at the time). County health department told me that if I lived in Africa, the entire treatment cost would have been $5. Go figure......

Hopefully, Humana will do better for you.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Be care. If you do bite someone, the "authorities" may decide you need to be put down!
Hi: CPW... That's already been decided. I'm past my "Best before date"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
And when was the last time doctors in your area has seen a cat with rabies?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
And when was the last time doctors in your area has seen a cat with rabies?
About the same time as you last experienced an earthquake in your area.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Chances for domestic cats and dogs to contact rabies is slim. But if your animals come into contact with deer or other wild animals it does happen. I was just wondering,that's all, don't appreciate the wise cracks.Carl C is
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
Chances for domestic cats and dogs to contact rabies is slim. But if your animals come into contact with deer or other wild animals it does happen. I was just wondering,that's all, don't appreciate the wise cracks.Carl C is
Correct. And Mitzi and I were both bitten by feral cats, not domestic cats. There are few "feral" dogs where I live but tons of feral cats, and they come in contact with raccoons and coyotes. As Mitzi stated, if you gamble and lose with rabies, you're dead.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
Well, that's why I wanted to check with my vet before initiating rabies protocol. And I was upset with his staff for not letting me talk to him.
When my son was bitten by a free ranging dog 39 years ago I followed the dog up and down the streets till he went inside a house. I knocked on the door and asked them if they would please keep their dog confined for 10 days and
let me know if he acted sick. It was not an unprovoked bite. My son loved that dog and we'd been feeding him lunch for a couple months. My son just decided to jump on him one day (who knows what goes on in a 6 year old's mind?) and our vet told us the main sources of rabies in our county were feral cats and raccoons. (This is not that same county). The dog was fine, but the family was scared of lawsuits and got rid of it after the 10 days. It was such a nice dog too. I considered that one bite to be selfdefense.

DH did want me to take the shots "just in case". (I sure hope those emojis are hearts) He didn't want to be a widower he said. The feral in
question came in the house this morning, ate up the indoor cat's breakfast remnants, and is now enjoying the a/c sacked out in the cat tree.

I am paying a lady $300 to feed him and his buddy during the month we'll be gone to Canada. But I can't get them into carriers to take to the local spay, neuter, vaccinate, trap&release vet. They learned from the first time I did them, 5 years ago. Wary now. He's finally stopped running when I approach him.

I'll see what Humana covers if I get a bill from the Health Department