Raging fires in california - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Raging fires in california

Hello fellow Californians and FGRV members. If you are affected by the fires, please contact us and tell us how you are doing and what we, our trailer community, can do for you.

You know me as the "Gleeful Glamper" as I mostly post regarding decorating my charming Scamp. I live in Northern California, just north of San Francisco. I'm sure you have all heard of the raging fires in Northern California in the wine country, and other regions. Today is the fifth day of the fires. The news is surreal as there are many different fires that are consuming whole towns! These regions are not only charming tourist destinations, but homes for thousands of families who own and work the wineries as well as provide all the support services that communities need.

By random chance I had received a personal message from a fellow FGRV member a few days before the fire regarding trailer curtains. As you might imagine, curtains are the furthest thing from their minds now as they live just 3 miles from an evacuation zone. They did express gratitude that they recently received delivery of their new trailer and now have it outfitted as an evacuation vehicle! I am keeping their identity confidential to honor their privacy.

To get local news, as we read it, go to the Marin Independent Journal newspaper site at Marin Independent Journal: Breaking News, Sports, Business, Entertainment & San Rafael News as well as any local news stations, ABC, NBC, etc.

Let us not forget our Southern California friends who are also affected by terrible fires there.

I can only imagine that there are many people here who are depending on their trailers for emergency shelter.

We wish well to everyone affected by the fires and give thanks to all the heroic firefighters and volunteers.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
e-radio

our prayers for them we are living in strange times!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Gilda. Thanks for the link to your local news source. Wildfires are horrifying! Grateful you are okay... Here's hoping you and everyone directly affected can stay safe.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, thanks for bringing this up; our thoughts and hopes are with everyone involved in this emergency.

If any of you want to drive your rig to Seattle and camp in our driveway while you wait for California to stop burning, we can offer you water and electric hookups.

I'm not kidding, we're very able to get at least one and maybe two rigs in our driveway besides our car and Peanut. And we'd be happy to host you for as long as it takes.
We'd have to work out the toileting situation as we don't have a trailer dump--but we do have toilets inside of course.

Paul says, "MORE THAN WELCOME" and suggested we could also park at least one more rig out front if you didn't mind being along the curb. We could split the water and electricity three ways easy enough.

PM for phone # if you want to come up.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Fire

Thank you Gilda. We live in Santa Rosa. The news media is accurately reporting SOME areas of town that are COMPLETELY destroyed. Good Morning America this AM made it sound like the entire city was gone. This is not true. The destruction is severe but probably only 2-3 % of the entire town and surrounding areas. Unfortunately the 22 or so fires are still going and mostly unconstrained. The winds are dictating which direction the flames are traveling and subsequently evacuation areas are changing daily.
We live 2-3 miles from current evacuation areas and from Coffee Park destruction. We were called on Monday at 2:30 AM by a friend in Clear Lake who was also being threatened by fire. I immediately went outside to see the sky to our north aflame. The smoke in the air was thick. We had just returned from Rice TX and a stop in Quincy, Ca for the Scamp rally. I had emptied our new Casita for cleaning and reorganization. Now in the middle of the early morning it was time to restock , fill the water tank, and hook up.
After talking to neighbors, all in the streets, and listening to local radio, I decided it prudent to leave the home and try to get south. My rational was better to leave before mandatory evacuation due to traffic restrictions. WOW, was I surprised when we drove 2 blocks from our home and were stopped in our neighborhood before even getting to StonyPoint rd, a north south escape route. Fortunately the Casita was able to do a u turn and I found an alternate route. We were on the road for perhaps 60-90 minutes and drove perhaps 3-5 miles. The reports on the radio were suggesting that IF you were not under mandatory evacuation orders, better to stay home so as not to clog the roads. The roads in fact were already clogged. After our trip home from Quincy I had not filled up the gas tank, I TRY never to let the tank go below 1/2 full but now stuck in crawling traffic my tank had 22 miles left. I decided that since there was no traffic going north and I didn't have much gas I would go back, not immediately possible on this 2 lane country road but eventually able to retreat back to our neighborhood. And so our Casita has been initiated as our evacuation "small house". Every night I am hooking up, ready for that knock on the door telling us to get out.

The whole experience has been quite stressing, my wife told me " we wasted our efforts last night" I disagree. It was a good practice run. I found out what I needed to do to be completely ready to leave with little notice. I spent Monday reorganizing the Casita and making sure it is stocked with all that we might need.

I hope none of our community ever has to use their eggs for escape, but I certainly suggest we all "be prepared".

There are over 8000 fire fighters trying to keep our cities and residents safe.
My hope is that they are all safe and stay unharmed. Thank you to all who are helping keep 100s of thousands of people safe.

Mark
Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Very good test & info gathering run Mark. I'm sure you & your wife thought of a few other items you forgot during that run also that are now packed or on the list.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Very good test & info gathering run Mark. I'm sure you & your wife thought of a few other items you forgot during that run also that are now packed or on the list.
Dave, no more lists. Packed to go is our new motto. Just wondering how to keep the water in the tank fresh if we don't use it soon. With our recent 3-4 yrs of drought, I can't think of dumping it down the road.

Mark
Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hello fellow Californians and FGRV members. If you are affected by the fires, please contact us and tell us how you are doing and what we, our trailer community, can do for you.

You know me as the "Gleeful Glamper" as I mostly post regarding decorating my charming Scamp. I live in Northern California, just north of San Francisco. I'm sure you have all heard of the raging fires in Northern California in the wine country, and other regions. Today is the fifth day of the fires. The news is surreal as there are many different fires that are consuming whole towns! These regions are not only charming tourist destinations, but homes for thousands of families who own and work the wineries as well as provide all the support services that communities need.

By random chance I had received a personal message from a fellow FGRV member a few days before the fire regarding trailer curtains. As you might imagine, curtains are the furthest thing from their minds now as they live just 3 miles from an evacuation zone. They did express gratitude that they recently received delivery of their new trailer and now have it outfitted as an evacuation vehicle! I am keeping their identity confidential to honor their privacy.

To get local news, as we read it, go to the Marin Independent Journal newspaper site at Marin Independent Journal: Breaking News, Sports, Business, Entertainment & San Rafael News as well as any local news stations, ABC, NBC, etc.

Let us not forget our Southern California friends who are also affected by terrible fires there.

I can only imagine that there are many people here who are depending on their trailers for emergency shelter.

We wish well to everyone affected by the fires and give thanks to all the heroic firefighters and volunteers.
We pray for our firefighters nightly. One word of caution to our RV friends. If you use it to evacuate make sure your propane tank is off. The heat if driving through some of the areas we've seen on TV could cause an explosion. Evacuate before they tell you since some have not been told to leave in time and have driven through fire. Get your important stuff packed and into the vehicle if a fire is even anywhere close. Those fires can travel miles in a short while. Be safe. Our prayers are with you all.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:41 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Why not just use the water in the tank for some household or garden chores now and again and then refill it? That way there won't be such a worry about it not being fresh enough. Wash the car or trailer with it. Water the garden, etc. You could even fill the washing machine if you wanted to use it for that. Use it instead of losing it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We pray for our firefighters nightly. One word of caution to our RV friends. If you use it to evacuate make sure your propane tank is off. The heat if driving through some of the areas we've seen on TV could cause an explosion. Evacuate before they tell you since some have not been told to leave in time and have driven through fire. Get your important stuff packed and into the vehicle if a fire is even anywhere close. Those fires can travel miles in a short while. Be safe. Our prayers are with you all.
Exlnt advice Jann to being prepared and leaving a head of time while it's still safe. But I do want to refute a bit of what you said as an ex brush firefighter that has been through a bunch of them. What you see on TV or in the movies is over the top for dramatic effect. I have seen many LP tanks that only had scorched paint after a fast moving fire pasted by and didn't explode. On the other hand there were a few 250 gallon and up tanks with pressure relief valves that did pop and turn into a huge Bic lighter but none exploded because the relief valve did it's job. We also drove our brush rig through flames a number of times during the fire season that were 50' high and laying over the road because of the wind. Melted some of the plastics on the windward side of the truck but didn't do a thing to any rubber parts. I totally agree with you of having the LP tank turned off just not so much for the safety factor. If I was bugging out so late when the flames are that close I certainly wouldn't be turning on the refer nor even trying to hook up a TT. One thing stands out in my mind to this day of my CDF, Calfire now time. As we were setting up for structure protection at a little house out in the sticks, this young couple were frantically throwing things in their truck. They never said anything to us but the "please save our house" look I got from the young lady was as plain as saying it. Later when I saw the little husband and wife figurine from their wedding cake sitting on the window sill it was all burned into my mind. I can see it as it was yesterday but it's been almost 50 years ago. Ah, we did save the house too . Sorry about the long and some what rambling post but it bugs me of some of the misconceptions people have of brush fires.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #11

Name: mary
Trailer: 16 S/D Scamp 2010
California
I live in Mendocino County and was awoke @ 2:30 am Monday with the local firemen pounding on doors "get out get out now" packed the dog and few things leaving my Scamp behind. The whole day I worried about my Scamp, but I am blessed to have come home to a home and my Scamp. The fire are by no means over with extra high winds in the forecast for today and tomorrow!
Thank you Cal Fire and the local volunteer fire men @ Ridgewood Ranch that saved our homes !
marywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Was camped at Kettle Provincial Park years ago. At about 2am, we heard shouts and banging on the door to get out and head for the highway. There was only one road in or out. A lightening strike had set the campground on fire.
I threw pillows and sleeping bags, and a case of beer in the truck and left. Guy next door was trying to hook up his 5th wheel in the dark.
I figured our lives were more valuable than the trailer.

Several years later, my buddy, who also had to evacuate that night, was camped there again when a forest fire jumped the highway and prevented campers from evacuating. Campers gathered at the river, crossed and walked out on a foot path, leaving trailers and everything in them.

Faced with fire, I'm getting myself and family out. To heck with the trailer.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We typically get a pre-evac notification via text message from the county. In that case it would make sense to hitch and load the camper, top off gas, and consider whether to hold tight or leave early. Waiting allows you to wet down the house and yard but may leave you in heavy traffic if escape routes are limited. Tough decision. Most pre-evac notices don't end in a mandatory evacuation, but you never know.

Mark, I appreciated the detailed, inside look at what evacuating with a trailer might actually entail. We have been evacuated twice, both pre-Scamp, once for over a week. Each time we had ample time to prepare, so taking the Scamp would have been possible.

Of course if emergency responders say "get out now," that's another matter entirely. Don't look back; it's only stuff.

In this case the loss of life and devastation of whole neighborhoods is truly heartbreaking.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We have been evacuated twice,
A neighbourhood can be evacuated, a town can be evacuated, a city can be evacuated, but people are not evacuated, unless they are in hospital, undergoing an uncomfortable medical procedure.
But, try telling that to the news readers.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A neighbourhood can be evacuated, a town can be evacuated, a city can be evacuated, but people are not evacuated, unless they are in hospital, undergoing an uncomfortable medical procedure.
But, try telling that to the news readers.
Funny, Glenn...

And you're correct, I wasn't evacuated (vt, as in "removed from a dangerous location," presumably by another person). I evacuated (vi, as in "withdrew from a place in an organized way for protection") all by myself! Neither requires a medical procedure.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evacuate
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #16

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Go bag!

I also live in Northern California, just close enough to the fire that we have smoke issues...
I appreciate the comments about evacuation and taking/not taking the rv. I will encourage everyone to have a go bag. FEMA has suggestions about what to pack, so if you get into a get out now situation you can function a few days.
That rapid spread of that fire in Santa Rosa is a good example of the need for quick action. We had to quickly leave only once, when a levee broke and we had to get out fast. We were ok but had a go bag thanks to my firefighter son’s urging.
Be prepared!
I also keep my Casita supplied and would like that convenience if possible but sometimes the situation is grab and go.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #17

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Raging fires in California

Hello, I will be going to Santa Rosa today ( 10-21-2017 ) ! This was so sad! My prayers goes out to the people that was affected by the fires! I can't imagine what it must be to lose everything ! I'm sure there are ways we can all help out and I hope to find out in the next coming days.

All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote