Random Rambling Trailer Thoughts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just some random "Roschadt" thoughts, maybe you have something to add?

TRANSITIONING FROM ONE FRV TO ANOTHER MORE APPROPRIATE ONE? (Can't quite decide)
Before I knew the market for these things, I passed up a perfectly good '82 17' Bigfoot for only $4500 (DUH!)...I guess I'd been looking at Craigslist too much and had seen small old trailers in the $500-$900 range for that age and figured they were all the same...( ) and it seemed so big .
After that I researched these dang fiberglass things, and decided I really liked them, then I was aghast at their prices. Soon thereafter, I wound up flipping a Casita/car combo deal to my favor, because the Casita was too spendy for me to keep and someone else got a good deal on it--I got new upholstery for it. Now I have my $1800 '75 Boler which is in need of "intervention", but it's usable as it, too--and so cute. I am torn between wanting the full amenities but a little averse to the heavier weight with its sway issues, not being able to use a smaller car to pull (or can you?), I couldn't lift the tongue myself at all on the Casita (whereas I can lift my Boler a little) --as a first time trailer owner these things can seem intimidating,. ... long story not as long... If I "tweak" this Boler too much, i.e. customize it, I think it'd make it less desirable for a resale should I decide to move up in size/amenities later. Right? So, I think I'm just going to make it nice, and standard, for now and take it out a few times as it was designed and then decide.

TERROR ATTACKS AND EMERGENCIES
Does this cross anyone else's mind?...I am a widow with (big) kids and every time they talk about the next "big one" I wonder what we'd do. We have duct tape and extra food and water and tarps at the house, etc., but I like the idea of bugging out of the area altogether if need be, and having the trailer is a small peace of mind...well, it's in the back of my mind in prepping it at least. Last winter we had a wind storm that put the power out for 9 long days, we stayed at a friend's house up north... but maybe we could've taken the trailer and headed to the sun (if I'd had it).

GASOLINE PRICES, GOING GREEN
I will profess, risking , that I do not buy in to the causation theories for global warming (not to get all politically incorrect, but I would argue that no scientist has proposed how much CO2 mitigation will actually cool the earth, and none can explain why Mars is also warming, except for solar variations--that said, I'm not a meteorologist, I'm a biochemist/pharmacologist, but scientific theories must prove valid across the board). I do know that "going green" is now a new religion and I don't even disagree with it for the sake of not being wasteful...myself, with multiple teenagers and ongoing house renovations I had good need for a big Expedition, in the media there's a distinct yet sublime hostility against SUVs, (and with the price of gas it may prove a REAL luxury to own one). After my house renos were done, I'd wanted to move to a regular vehicle and so again, the decision between "miniature yet pullable by regular car" versus "amenities, weight, larger car" looms again. I am not sure what can pull what. I think gas prices will fluctuate, but generally stay bad and get worse yet as we become progressively more numb to these heretofore unspeakably high prices. Again, the argument for the smaller trailer seems to prevail, but is there some table of what kind of vehicle pulls what kind of trailer? It's the GVWR or something that matters, but I don't think that I've seen that data on sedans, etc...or did I miss something?

As I said, just rambling thoughts...
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Amenties come at a price. There's purchase price which is one time. One going; weight, larger Tow Vehicle, more gas, more fripping (you have clean, dump, etc.), more maintenance.

Several of us have considered our trailers and kind of a life boat. I don't worry about terrorists. I doubt they'd bother anybody in a town that starts with Wood (Woodinville, Woodburn, etc.) But for things like storms where loss of services could happen the trailer does give one a bit of a piece of mind.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Rambling thoughts
A larger trailer would be nice. The extra space for two people. The permanent bed. The shower/washroom. The rollout canopy on the outside.All the extras that I would end up taking and not using. The extra gas. The larger camp sites.
I've thought about it a lot.
Our little bug, that,s snug as a ...It fits in the driveway, it draws new friends like flies[They even knock at the door] If we want more room or are staying in a campground for a while we take a dining shelter with rollup sides as an axtra living room/kitchen. No other type will be as easy to park, as easy to tow, as easy to get set up,or as easy to keep up. For one or two people on the go it really cannot be beat.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I got the "three foot itis" this week after seeing a Scamp 16 that was affordable near me. It would be nice, but not imperative to have the bathroom. So far between the porta-potti and the facilities at the campgrounds it hasn't been an issue. After taking a serious look at it I discovered it is 6+ inches taller and currently my 13 just goes right into the garage. Because of HOA if I can't get it into the garage it would have to go to storage and if anyone has checked recently that is a kings ransom.
Think the "three foot itis" has passed.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I've got the cure for 3' itis... Take 2 Aspirins and call me in the morning Now can you cure "BOLER BITES"???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
How about a set of "storage rims" you could put on your trailer when you want some clearance for getting it into the garage?
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Up here in northern BC we had floods last month that cut us off from most highways. I did buy "Flood Food" (non-perishables, like for a LONG camping trip) but didn't get insane about it. (Some people in a neighbouring town bought out all the milk in the stores within a few hours.)

It was nice to know we had off-the-grid "boon-docking" capabilities -- propane for heat and light and cooking, containers of potable water.

Fortunately, all resumed to normal after about ten days. I had been looking forward to an Emergency Pot Luck: "Come on over, we've got a BIG can of beans, what you got?"
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
AHH 3'-itis, thanks Doc, just naming the ailment helps immensely...Has anyone gone from 16 down to 13, I wonders

Quote:
I got the "three foot itis" this week after seeing a Scamp 16 that was affordable near me. It would be nice, but not imperative to have the bathroom. So far between the porta-potti and the facilities at the campgrounds it hasn't been an issue. After taking a serious look at it I discovered it is 6+ inches taller and currently my 13 just goes right into the garage. Because of HOA if I can't get it into the garage it would have to go to storage and if anyone has checked recently that is a kings ransom.
Think the "three foot itis" has passed.
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
maybe you have something to add?

If I "tweak" this Boler too much, i.e. customize it, I think it'd make it less desirable for a resale should I decide to move up in size/amenities later. Right? So, I think I'm just going to make it nice, and standard, for now and take it out a few times as it was designed and then decide.
I think you're on the right track.
Unless you feel that this trailer is The One for you, many others will consider it an "Entry Level" unit. Just like in the real estate market, if you're considering RESALE VALUE of your "wheel estate", your choices become limited.