Rat fur in the shower - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Rat fur in the shower

Just ordered my scamp 19 Standard with side shower.

I hate the rat fur on the ceiling in the shower. Any ideas on a replacement / covering for it. I'd rather have the white fiberglass all over.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Why not ask scamp directly....
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Why not ask scamp directly....

I did. They won't do anything but rat fur on the ceiling. I suppose I could push harder on it...
Old 07-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Since you are the buyer
Can’t you tell them to leave walls bare ?
Maybe I’m missing something
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
Just ordered my scamp 19 Standard with side shower.

I hate the rat fur on the ceiling in the shower. Any ideas on a replacement / covering for it. I'd rather have the white fiberglass all over.
We've had ours for 14years and it looks like it did when we took delivery.
Two showers a day for maybe 700 days.

It really doesn't get wet when you shower and water wouldn't bother it if you sprayed it on purpose.
Give it a chance, you'll love it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We've had ours for 14years and it looks like it did when we took delivery.
Two showers a day for maybe 700 days.
It really doesn't get wet when you shower and water wouldn't bother it if you sprayed it on purpose.
Give it a chance, you'll love it.
Well there you go Don, 14 years of experience with it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I do understand your preference to have smooth, easy to wipe down surfaces in a bathroom. However the ceiling surface they are attaching the Rat Fur to is not a smoothly finished surface so leaving the rat fur off will not get you what you are hoping for. Your request is simply not a viable option which is why they are saying no to the request.

Rat fur is the same type of fiber as indoor outdoor carpet. No harm getting it wet. That fiber does not grow mold. It is the dirt on the surfaces that is the food for mold so when you clean the trailer vacuum the rat fur too.

If you are worried about it just run one of the steam cleaners at the car wash or a home unit across the ceiling now and again. Or take it to an auto detailer and have them clean all the rat fur every year of two with their high quality equipment and professional cleaning solutions. You can ask for non-toxic, eco friendly, cleaners to be used.

As a new owner understanding the what the inside surface of an empty Scamp trailer looks and feels like would be a big help to you in resolving your frustration with the Scamp factory. Seeing how molded fiberglass is made will help. This youtube video is for a fiberglass truck cap but the steps of applying the gel coat to the mold and then chopped fibers over that layer is the same. You could likely find a fiberglass truck cap locally and even see that texture of the surface is not smooth. On the FGRVs I have had that surface is full of sharp ends of the glass fibers, they at least do coat the truck caps interior to get rid of that hazard.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:19 AM   #8

Alabama
Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Scamp versus Casita shower enclosure.

The walls and ceiling of my Casita’s shower is a one piece smooth fiberglass inner liner.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
The walls and ceiling of my Casita’s shower is a one piece smooth fiberglass inner liner.
...which looks really nice, but costs a bit more in terms of fabrication and weight and adds little practical value. Even at home my tub surround does not go all the way to the ceiling.

It's one of a number of differences that make the Casita cost and weigh just a little more. But if it's important to you, it's one way to get what you want.

But they don't make a fifth wheel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Ceiling

If they have done that way for ever and it works why would we newbies think it is wrong.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by j ron View Post
if they have done that way for ever and it works why would we newbies think it is wrong.
👍👍👍 !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
After it is yours you could modify that area. I would take it to a local company that does auto interior and/or marine interior work. They can remove that area of rat fur, than install a layer of closed cell foam against the shell to help reduce condensation issues. Then over that foam layer you could have a layer of smooth surface indoor/outdoor marine vinyl. Be sure that the marine vinyl is of the type that has a fuzzy back which allows the adhesive to grip to it for an overhead installation. Because it is working on curved surfaces it would be a tricky job for someone inexperienced to DIY and get the vinyl installation to look professionally done.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
If you don't smoke in the shower, it should not be a problem, our any other place with Rat Fur.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
If they have done that way for ever and it works why would we newbies think it is wrong.
I don't think he ever said it was wrong, just a preference. He said, "I hate the rat fur on the ceiling... I'd rather have white fiberglass all over."

We all have preferences. Scamp will accommodate some of them. This is not one. There are three options: (1) live with it, (2) move on to another make or model, or (3) make it what you want after purchase.

There might well be some white, flexible plastic material you can purchase and install over the rat fur. With the side bath it's a simple curve, no corner to fit. Downside is it could become a place that hides moisture and allows mold to grow unseen.

I predict you won't be spending that much time in the side bath, anyway. It's really small!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #16

Name: Ralph
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I did. They won't do anything but rat fur on the ceiling. I suppose I could push harder on it...

Buy a Casita?
RalphB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphB3 View Post
Buy a Casita?
Casita doesn't make a 13.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Casita doesn't make a 13.
... or a 19' fifth wheel, which is the Scamp model the OP is wanting.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
... or a 19' fifth wheel, which is the Scamp model the OP is wanting.
That too!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you wanted a smooth pebbly surface you could strip the headliner in the shower and spray tinted bed liner. Would require figuring out a nice transition trim between the shower and your new roof liner. Would take someone willing to spray the stuff in confined spaces an a whole lot of masking.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote