RE: Buying and trailering advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Name: david
Trailer: shopping for an Oliver
New York
RE: Buying and trailering advice

Hi,
Not sure if this is the place to post this...

I'm looking at a new camper, 2017 on the lot, problem is I'm in NY and the camper is in California.

Any advice?

My options are to fly there and rent a truck to tow home, but not much luck finding a tow vehicle to rent.

Have it shipped on a flat bed, about 2500 bucks, but am afraid of damage and sight unseen purchace.

Your advice is welcomed

David
Louisless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Many on this forum have traveled that far or farther to pick up a trailer. $2500 shipping charge sounds cheap, really cheap (sounds too cheap to me).

When buying long distance, you either travel with your tow vehicle and bring it home, or fly out, inspect it, if it is good, pay for it, fly home, and then finally drive back with your tow vehicle (or have it shipped). Option 1 is by far the easiest, option 2 is more costly but easier to walk away if the trailer doesn't meet your needs.

I'm still struggling with that shipping charge, it really sounds too low. Figure five days of driving minimum, expenses on the road, overhead, etc. I wouldn't drive an RV on a trailer cross country for $2500.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The shipping may not be actually towing it, could be it's on a flatbed trailer with something else heading in the same direction. I had a pickup shipped from Arizona to upstate NY for $1000, it was on a car carrier trailer with a few other vehicles.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisless View Post
Hi,
Not sure if this is the place to post this...

I'm looking at a new camper, 2017 on the lot, problem is I'm in NY and the camper is in California.

Any advice?

My options are to fly there and rent a truck to tow home, but not much luck finding a tow vehicle to rent.

Have it shipped on a flat bed, about 2500 bucks, but am afraid of damage and sight unseen purchace.

Your advice is welcomed

David
Practical approach is to take this one step at a time. The steps involve some phone calls. But the process is a logical and not overly complex one.

Regular car rentals do not but those companies often have an affiliated truck rental service with vans and sometimes pickups available with hitches. Uhaul rents vehicles with tow hitches. You can get a van or a pickup truck from them. It is not at all unusual for them to rent that type of vehicle for this situation. Of course they do rent them going one way with a drop off at the destination. The Ryder company also rents vans with hitches on them. Enterprise Truck rental also has vehicles with tow hitches including vans. But you will most likely not be able to rent a regular passenger vehicle with a hitch. So ask for what they truck rental companies have with the best mileage rating for the lowest, one-way cross country price.

If you are afraid of a sight unseen purchase then hire an inspection and have it documented with photos. If it is on a sales lot that should not be difficult to arrange with a third party, in fact it is not all that unusual of a request. There are mechanics around who do exactly that kind of service and the dealers often have a list of them you can call. Of course you want to get a quote for the inspection service inclusive of the delivery of the photos and the inspection report via email or priority mail.

As to the quote for transportation questions. You need to ask to speak directly to the transport company so that you can ask for details of exactly how it will be shipped as well as what kind of insurance coverage they offer. Ask what their basic insurance coverage is and if their is a more extensive policy available and if so what is its cost.

Next talk to your own insurance company and get a quote to have it covered for damage as soon as you purchase it. Often times your own insurance company has a better policy for less money than the transport companies offer. That too is not an unusual request to ask of an insurance company. If you are very concerned about damage on the transport trip go for a zero or low deductible amount for your piece of mind. Once it is in your possession you can amend your personal policy to a deductible you are comfortable with.

Keep a notebook journal of these contacts. Each time you talk to someone record their name, their position at their company, the phone number, email address, the date and the time of day. Then put notes in about what was discussed including price quotes. If price quotes are discussed require them to send you email confirmation of the quotes.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just how big/heavy is this trailer? Specifically, will it require special towing equipment, like a weight distributing hitch and mirror extensions? If so, shipping seems like the best option.

As to purchasing sight unseen, I'd weigh the cost of a round-trip ticket and time against the cost of hiring a professional inspection. Also, how sure are you that this is exactly the model and layout you want? A professional inspection will cover mechanical and cosmetic issues, but they can't tell you whether the trailer will feel right to you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:06 PM   #6

New York
Thanks for the responses

Hiring an inspector seems like a better idea as I dont really know what to look for other than using some common mechanical scene. If the trailer layout is what will work for me, I'm not sure flying across the country will be much benefit other than a piece of mind, opinions welcomed here.

Can you really trust someone to tow it? Will hey stay out of it or use it in their treck? I'm kind of annal about my toys.

David
Old 09-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Thanks for the responses

Can you really trust someone to tow it? Will hey stay out of it or use it in their treck? I'm kind of annal about my toys.

David
But you are buying a USED trailer.... Who knows what went on in there before.
And no - they will not use it on the trek.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks for the responses

Hiring an inspector seems like a better idea as I dont really know what to look for other than using some common mechanical scene. If the trailer layout is what will work for me, I'm not sure flying across the country will be much benefit other than a piece of mind, opinions welcomed here.

David
What you seems to need as a peace of mind solution is a company who will transport it in a car carrier that is being towed by a big rig. That way no one will ever be inside of your trailer and it will not be subjected to being rolled along the highways on its own wheels. I am sure you have seen car transports out on the road that are full of cars, boats, tractors, and even travel trailers being delivered to various locations. You can get quotes online from various companies. Those companies generally are acting as broker agents who arrange for shipments rather than actually owning all the transport vehicles. They arrange the transportation with independent drivers or smaller trucking services. In such situations they will call around and ask "do you have room on your car transport for a vehicle that is of this particular size going to this destination?". If you are worried about surface damage you could have it shrink wrapped before it is moved. That will also prevent anyone from going inside of it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I've dealt with companies that transported new trucks and motor homes. A couple drivers told me they slept in the motor homes and one guy told me one of the drivers used it for a weeks vacation on the way to it's destination. The less it costs the delivery driver on the trip, the more he makes, so if he can sleep in a camper, why pay for a motel.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
No, its brand new 2017 on lot
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't get how there is a new Oliver trailer on a dealer lot in California, when Oliver appears to sell direct from their plant Tennessee, and you have to order one.
I see now that the only reference to the trailer brand is in your profile. Just what is it you expect to buy?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't get how there is a new Oliver trailer on a dealer lot in California, when Oliver appears to sell direct from their plant Tennessee, and you have to order one.
I see now that the only reference to the trailer brand is in your profile. Just what is it you expect to buy?
Bigfoot 17.5 2017 m.y.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #13

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Bigfoot 17.5 2017 m.y.
Why would that need inspecting?
I'm baffled......
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote