re-looking at a scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #41

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I think this one is $9200 new....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
It's pretty bare bones I think...whatever the scamp "options" package is...

Bunks in front, cabinet over the top of them. 3 way fridge (I think I would prefer an icebox), screen door. I think that's it for options. No fantastic fan (which I would like to have), no furnace (that I don't really want anyway). One plug in, sink, stove, water tank and city water inlet, battery, one lp tank....that about sums it up.
See personally I would rather have the 3way, and putting in a fantastic fan is not that bad even if you had to pay someone to do it. Screen door is nice to have, sounds like there is only two things you would like to change. One plus being from Minn. is you can always have Scamp do some work on it if you can't. If you don't get this one there will be others , don't fret.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
It's pretty bare bones I think...whatever the scamp "options" package is...

Bunks in front, cabinet over the top of them. 3 way fridge (I think I would prefer an icebox), screen door. I think that's it for options. No fantastic fan (which I would like to have), no furnace (that I don't really want anyway). One plug in, sink, stove, water tank and city water inlet, battery, one lp tank....that about sums it up.
Did you post pictures other than the roof pic somewhere? I must have missed them, if so. I'd like to see them if you can point me toward the link.

Also, per my relentless focus on "clear Title":

There are a lot of folks flipping these trailers- buying and then quickly selling without bothering to transfer title to their own names in the middle. Saves transfer fees and sales tax, right?

This can sometimes lead to a buyer indeed getting the paper "Title", but signed by a person other than the party the trailer is acquired from, and even with a date-of-sale some time in the past.

The problem (at least here in Washington) can be that if the State suspects that there's been an intervening sale, it can/will collect taxes on BOTH transactions from the first person that presents the paperwork for the transfer. Also, some States have penalties for failing to transfer a Title within a certain length of time after purchase, so if you're given a Title with a six-month old signoff date you can be on the hook there, too.

For those and other reasons, do make sure that you're dealing with whoever's on the Title, or at the very least that whatever paperwork you receive matches in terms of names and dates of sale.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #44

Minnesota
The owner is the original owner on this one and the title should be clear....

I did just pass on a u-haul that promised to have a title issue here in MN.

I might look into the parkliners as well as they seem to have the clean fiberglass lines inside....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #45

Minnesota
I did not post pictures...I think they are still on craigslist though....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #46

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I'm with Richard on this one. It doesn't feel right to you but you want a trailer really badly! Everything you say conveys this is probably not the trailer for you.
I think you will have to be patient (I know it's really hard, I've been there!) and the right one will come along. You have everyone on here watching out for one also for you!!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Cricket I've been watching this thread and feeling your pain. I was in the same boat you are. Really wanted a fiberglass trailer. I kept searching and was really getting frustrated. The units I looked at were either in very poor condition, too far away, sold quicker than I could respond, or they were 30 years old and still two thirds the price of a new one, or more.

When I figured out how well these FG trailers hold their resale value I decided to spring for a new one. The was a tough choice because I'm cheap and my Chief Financial Officer keeps me on a short leash. Going with a new Scamp 13 allowed me to get exactly what I wanted (AC, Fantastic Fan, etc.) without having to add it to an older unit or get into heavy restoration.

Everyone's financial situation and priorities are different but if you can swing it, I'd really consider a new Scamp (especially since you're in Minnesota - I'm driving all the way from TN this weekend). With the economy the way it is, interest rates are low and Scamp prices are very reasonable, so it's a good time to buy if you have confidence in the future. Plus, you'd be supporting the economy.

Just food for thought. Regards, Steve
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #48

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hey Steve,
Might see you there in Backus. I've got an appointment there Friday morning to get a new axle installed on my '84 Scamp. Good luck with your trip and your new Scamp!
Take care,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #49

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I agree with SailorSteve. If you can afford a new one, buy a new one. I would recommend a larger one with more space for your children.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #50

Registry
I realize that this one's far away from you, but just so you know what continues to be out there: did you see this Trillium 1300 ad that went up here yesterday? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-55085.html

It's less than $5,000.00.... a fair price in today's market...though since I bought my Trillium years ago for a dollar a pound, it's hard for me to believe they've gotten so hot!

Francesca
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #51

Minnesota
Francesca...thanks, I did see it....thanks! I contacted him, but then realized he was in B.C.....might be a little far! We do have relatives in Bellingham, WA, so I thought about seeing if they'd go and look for me, but have been playing phone tag with them....
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The map sows you are relatively close to Ontario/Manitoba - worth having an eye to Kijiji in those regions...here's a link for today's "Trillium" search...

New & Used Rv's / Trailers & Campers for sale Ontario; trillium Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers & Accessories for Sale on Kijiji Classifieds.
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #53

Registry
Relatives in Bellingham, eh?

That's only a hop-skip-jump from where I live on the Olympic Peninsula! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you and let you know if I see anything interesting around here... sometimes there are even field-finds out there. Last year I saw a Scamp in an overgrown field over by Colville- looked pretty neglected and I wondered if some sharp cookie wouldn't stop by and suggest to the owner that it ought to be removed!

By the way- if you buy from across the border, there's a bit of paperwork involved as far as bringing it into the U.S. Do be sure and check that out if it comes to importing a trailer!

Francesca
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #54

Minnesota
I was just going to ask how difficult they were to import and what kind of costs were associated with that.... Canada isn't super close to where i am (probably 6 hours or so) but it's a good idea to keep on looking so that perfect for me trailer finds me!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #55

Minnesota
If i do decide to bring on in out of canada, where on earth do i start to get a handle on that process?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
I was just going to ask how difficult they were to import and what kind of costs were associated with that.... Canada isn't super close to where i am (probably 6 hours or so) but it's a good idea to keep on looking so that perfect for me trailer finds me!
You'll probably find one down here, but don't be afraid to consider Canadian ads, too.

It's not that difficult to import a trailer- just some paperwork that has to be done BEFORE one brings a trailer in. Here's a link to the requirements, just as an FYI while you're looking: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-into-the-u.s.

Happy Hunting!

Francesca
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #57

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If you are looking in Canada, I have been watching this unit in Manitoba.
Travel trailer for sale
The only Trillium, in Manitoba, for months. It is fairly close to the border. Being a front dinete model would normally make it more attractive, but since you want to sleep four, it may not be right for you. I wondered about the wood under the front window. I think someone tried to install a bunk. The fact that somone added the fittings for an upper bunk rail on the sides of the trailer also support this. The one on the kitchen side even looks like it is in a block of wood under the ensolite, as opposed to screwed through the fibreglass. I think that this is still possible to put a gaucho there. Otherwise, it has all the bells and whistles, including a 14" vent, (very rare in 1300's).

It has been for sale for a long time, maybe there is something I am missing. Or, you could get a great deal.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #58

Registry
Cool pics, David- but I can't seem to access the ad. How much are they asking for it?

Francesca

P.S.
Did Rodre ever find his front-dinette Trillium?
There was a time when he would have crawled across Canada on his hands and knees to get that trailer!

F.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #59

Minnesota
Looked at several canadian ads...lots of trilliums up there, and even one right across the MN border, but i do not have a current passport or border card, so would need to start with that i guess before i look much further. Kind of like the look of the trills though.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Looked at several canadian ads...lots of trilliums up there, and even one right across the MN border, but i do not have a current passport or border card, so would need to start with that i guess before i look much further. Kind of like the look of the trills though.
Maybe you could do what my border-dwelling cousin the moose hunter does: lure the prey across, and pounce on it before it escapes...

Francesca

Tags
scamp