Ready For Our First Night Camping! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #21
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Talking Elegance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
BTW, when we hitched up to leave, we backed up, hooked up the sewer hose and managed to empty the black tank and gray tank without any drama!
That's how we do it on the rare occasions that we have a site with sewer. I always figure folks who have their stinky slinky in semi-permanent set up mode, have either been there awhile (camping in one spot for weeks at a time), or don't know it's not a good idea to leave the holding tank gates open. We don't want to expose our slinky to the elements (sunshine or being kicked). What you did is what we call the more elegant solution to the problem. YMMV.

Congrats on your first camping. Obviously you are going to love many more to come!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #22

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Congrats on your first real camping trip! Everything will get easier and quicker with practice. I sometimes think short weekend trips are more work than long trips. After you get everything into your trailer for your trip you're good to go for weeks or months on end!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #23

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

BillE, I have definitely practiced the hitching/unhitching routine many times and recognize the importance of locking down a routine. I have learned a bunch since November.

Dave, you know me, I wil do my "research" on trying to diagnose the problems with the reefer. Yup, with a little practice, I think we will figure out what to leave in the Casita, so I don't have to continue packing and unpacking the same item over and over.

Kevin, I recently stopped by My Old KY Home State Park. Between back-in sites and some unlevel sites, there will be opportunity for learning and practice!

Jon, love your approach to coffee. A good cup of coffee helps get the day started right. Would have loved to have seen the wild burro!

Mary, I like your reframe of my "elegant solution". I thought I made a mistake. Instead I was doing "best practice" and didn't realize it!

Kathy, I agree. I was talking with Laura that it seemed like packing for a short trip was potentially the same as packing for a longer trip.

Take care,

Dean
Old 03-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #24

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
I can relate to your checklist and excitement. I have taken two weekend trips in the past month with my new baby egg. The first weekend, the door blew open on the freeway. And I cooked a lot of sausage for a potluck in the Scamp. It smelled like sausage grease for two days. I bought an electric skillet yesterday so I can cook outside next time. The next weekend one of the stabilizer jacks fell back down as I was leaving the campsite. I heard something scraping. A camper was running behind the car to tell me about it. Aren't campers great?! I am learning so much. Now I wrap a little electrical tape around each stabilizer to secure it to the bumper.
Have fun. No matter how much planning, there are always little details to learn.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #25

Name: Riley
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Washington
We have totes for our gear that stay packed and ready to go. When it's time to pack for a trip we only need to worry about clothes and food.
Riley1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #26

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Dean, congrats on the big first go-round! The hitching will become easier and easier until you will wonder how you took so long in the first place. And what the heck are you packing? LOL. You'll find much easier and faster ways to do that, namely, as others have said, clothes and dishes only.

We took hours at first and now we are much faster. Can't forget the walk around, looking up at what is on the roof that needs retracting and down underneath at what needs retracting! And look around the site after pulling the trailer out, and you should be good.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #27

Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

Wendy, door blowing open, sausage grease, and a scraping stabilizer jack on a recent trip. Thanks for sharing. Let's me know that we are all learning together!

Riley, we now have our gear organized in totes as well, so I think packing will be easier next time even though there will be other efficiencies to learn.

Cathi, yup, I think I will get more efficient hitching up. I also think packing will be easier next time since we have figured out what basic gear will go on the trip every time and have stowed it in containers. So, we are moving toward only needing to pack food and clothes.

Thanks to all!

Dean
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #28

Name: Donna
Trailer: Egg Camper
New Jersey
I am watching your adventure with excitement. Our first trip is still three weeks away. So far we have driven around the block, and managed to get our Burro back into the driveway (good thing you can roll it by hand).

Donna
donnaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #29

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Donna,

LOL! I like your rolling it by hand comment. Whatever works! Love the Burros. Where is your first trip? Looking forward to our first out of town trip to the Smokies in two weeks!

Take care,

Dean
Old 04-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #30

Name: Donna
Trailer: Egg Camper
New Jersey
We chose a NJ state park an hour from home for our first trip. No freeways to get there, and we can run home if we forgot something really important.
donnaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote