Ready For Our First Night Camping! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Ready For Our First Night Camping!

Hi All,

First, my apologies regarding my recent forum negligence. I have been out of town doing work stuff, busy at work, and when I have been home, we have been making final Casita preparations for camping season.

OK, keep in mind that as of this moment Laura and I have never RVed a night in our lives. . .

Here is a quick rundown:

1. I am now on a first name basis with the folks at Harbor Freight and Camping World (Oh, and don't forget Amazon!) in an attempt to figure out what gear and tools are needed to be an RVer!

2. Interior of the Casita cleaned. Check!

3. Anode rod replaced and water heater flushed. Works on both propane and electric. Water pump works. Cold and hot water at all designated faucets. Check!

4. Freshwater tank sanitized. A whopping 10 gallon freshwater tank is full. White hose with pressure valve and water filter are ready. City water connected to the house. I even practiced draining my gray tank into a 5 gallon bucket. Check!

5. Stove works. Check!

6. BAL Leveler is in place. Check!

7. Lubricated and deployed stabilizer jacks. Check!

8. Replaced 12 y/o RV Propane Gas Detector, which required connectors and a crimping tool. Check!

9. Started AC. It works. Used the cube heater all winter when hanging out in the Casita in the driveway, so I knew it worked. Check!

10. Refrigerator works on AC. Left it on all night. Fridge was 26 degrees and freezer -5. Love the digital thermometer we bought to monitor fridge/freezer temperatures. Had it on the coldest setting, so can adjust. I don’t know if it works on 12v yet. Can’t get it work on propane. I think the pilot is probably dirty. Will work on that later. Kinda check!

11. OK, for the really big news. . .DRUM ROLL. . .I just put 2.5 gallons of water in the black tank and dropped a deodorant packet. YES, I officially christened the Casita! ��

Given the above, as well as other preparations the last few weeks and months (buying the new-to-us Casita in November, the Borrego in December, installing a brake controller, reworking the hitch to match the Casita/Borrego, practicing backing up in the drive way (I need more practice), doing a 53 mile loop to see how it tows, extending the awning (cleaning it), hitching/unhitching just for the sake of hitching/unhitching, we have decided this is the big weekend.

Laura purchased a 4″ memory foam pad to go on top of the dinette cushions along with a pillow top cover, so the bed is ready. Check! (Like most folks with the Freedom Deluxe floorplan, the 4 person dinette will be used as a “permanent” bed, while we will use our 2 person side dinette for eating & hanging out).

1. Driveway Camping TONIGHT! I am taking off work Thursday and Friday. Weather is going to be bad Thursday night, so tonight is the OFFICIAL driveway camp out.

2. Friday night we are going to the local KOA 3 miles from our house to camp!

3. Home Saturday afternoon.

4. Easter Sunday with the parents.

5. Leave for Dallas on Monday (work related, no camping).

Will try to do some other local camping before traveling to the Townsend, TN KOA in mid April for the 9th Annual Eggscursion Rally in the Smokys!

Can ya tell we are a little excited???

I promise to catch up on forum posts soon!!!

Dean
Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #2

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Congrats! Are you excited? Happy travels! Rallys are fun and our first was the Townsend Eggscursion back before we got our Bigfoot. Lots of great people.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Yay for driveway camping!!! Have a super night and good job on getting ready!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Watch out for the bears . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Dean, what site will y'all be in at Townsend? We won't have our Escape yet, but will be renting a cabin in the area, and will be around on Saturday. Would love to drop by and say hey.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
You sure sound excited! Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful time, and thanks for posting your informal check list. Wife and I are considering a Casita next year, so we hope you'll let everybody know how things go on your first trip. Best to you!
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Dean, A few more things to check off, if you haven't already. Tire pressure (including spare)? Wheel bearings greased? Total weight of camper and how much of that (percent) is on the ball hitch of the tow vehicle (sway control)? Wheel chocks? Hitch lock? Extra RV toilet paper? Flashlights? Champagne and long-stem glasses?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #8

Name: Riley
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Washington
First Casita Adventure

Dean,

We went through the same exact process last year. We love our little 2007 Casita SD and have planned several outings for this year.

We have started adding mods to our Casita, we added a Winegard Razar Automatic antenna, vent cover, flag mount, storage tube, front stabilizer jacks and bought a custom mattress, all in the first year.

Good Luck with your adventures!

Jim & Sheri
Riley1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Name: Marky
Texas
Wow, that's great planning! When we got our first RV the technician went over everything. We the hitched it up and took off. We then asked ourselves , what did we just do! Stopped at McKinney Fall State Park in Texas and camped for the first time in an RV. Then we realized everything that was told to us by the tech was forgotten! We couldn't figure out how to take the awning out, took a bath in cold water, the stove wouldn't light ( gas was on, but their was air in the line). Tried to level out the trailer with the stabilization jacks, I couldn't figure out why the screws on the jacks were so hard to turn. Haha!
We ended up with some great campfire stories.
Happy Camping!
Godspeed!
Marky and Norma

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Loved reading your post. You are probably the best prepared first-time campers I've ever heard about! Don't overthink it all and just have fun!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #11

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Happy trails!! We loved our 2005 FD, made lots of great memories with it, we know you will too!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #12

Name: Warren
Trailer: 1979 17' Boler
British Columbia
Damn! That checklist sure excites the trailer and camping mind.

We were all set to take the Boler to our daughter's property for a big Easter weekend with family. Then she sent us photos of her kids playing in 2 feet of snow yesterday.

(She's only a 2-hour drive away and we have flowers up -- a few thousand feet in altitude can make such a difference).

My wife says skipping Easter dinner and fiddling with the Boler is not an option.
Warren Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
So glad to share in your excitement ! We all share the excitement each year as the camping season rolls around. Now take a little extra cash to purchase those things we all , regardless of experience or planning or list , forget..... er honey do you know where the spatula is ? I can find the skillet but where is the pan for heating water ? We currently own more spatulas than most kitchen stores have in stock. lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Camping season is about 6 to 8 weeks away for us so I am envious
of you . We bought a small spiral notebook to keep track of issues that come up and what we did to solve them . I am at the age where I forget things from one camping season to the next. If you have a problem don't be afraid to ask another camper . Most people enjoy helping a fellow camper. I hope you have as much or more fun than we have with our Casita . Three years and almost 20,000 miles later
we still enjoy camping in our Casita . GOOD LUCK and take pictures.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Treat your first camp out just like tenting then add necessary items as required. Items not used can be taken back into the house.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #16

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thanks for all the wonderful replies and support!

We survived our weekend in the Casita. Here is a rundown on events:

1. Laura and I driveway camped Wednesday night for the first time. I took off Thursday and Friday from work. Since I got home around 5:30 pm on Wednesday, we didn't have lots of time to prepare, so we kept it simple. The plan was more or less just to sleep in the Casita. We did not prepare any meals, but we did sleep, use the fridge, and yes, we used the bathroom! Heck, I even took a shower Thursday morning in the Casita. The weather was warm enough that we used the Fantastic Fan all night. It kept the Casita in the high 60s for sleeping. Very nice. I also installed a new propane gas detector that also involved me buying a crimping tool and some connectors in order to wire/connect the detector. I think RVing may make me handier. I have always been too busy to be much of a DIYer, but I like to try IF I have time.

2. Thursday was devoted to making final purchases in terms of gear and tools. We also waited to buy storage containers until we purchased most of the stuff that we thought we needed. We then organized it and bought containers to accommodate the various categories of items: freshwater hoses and related items, hitching/stabilizing and related items, electrical and related items, and standard hose for blackwater rinsing and anything dealing with dumping (stored separately). The weather was supposed to have been bad Thursday night and we were not going to driveway camp, but the rain stopped by later afternoon, so we driveway camped a 2nd night as well. Thursday night was cool after the front moved through, so we used our cube heater that worked wonderfully.

3. Friday included an impromptu trip to my mechanic to check on the valve stems of our tow vehicle. Hmmm, did not plan on that. All worked out. Packing and organizing the Casita and Borrego was kinda of two steps forward, then rearrange, etc. OK, we could have checked in at the Bowling Green KOA at 12 pm. We managed to get there at 3 pm. Keep in mind the KOA is about 2.5 miles from our house! OK, we have a pull through site and I really concentrated on centering the Casita with the concrete patio. I got all set up. The last thing I was going to do was connect the sewer hose, BUT it would not reach the sewer. Strategic error on my part, but no big deal. We just backed up after hooking up the next morning when we were leaving. What did I learn? One, perhaps there is more to parking on a site other than centering based on the patio! 2. I need a 2nd section of sewer hose!

I tried out our new Weber Q1200 and grilled chicken breast. Worked great. We nuked some stir-fry veggies in the microwave. It worked. Friday was down right cold! It got down to 37. In fact, I was a little warm with the cube heater on the lowest setting, so I turned it off at 5 am. OK, I woke up at 7:30 am and it was 51 degrees in the Casita!!! Cold, but it was nice to turn on the cube heater and get back in bed. NICE.

Timeout for some general reflections and random thoughts:

A. Wow, there is a lot of work involved in getting ready to go camping: planning, packing, hitching/unhitching/hitching/unhitching, and unpacking.

B. I have made a number of reservations. All the folks I have spoken to have been polite and helpful. I have used Reserve America for some reservations and it has worked well.

C. I am impressed with folks at campgrounds. They are just so damn friendly. I got more waves and hellos in 24 hours at the KOA than I have all winter in my subdivision.

D. Yet, campgrounds are quite heterogeneous despite my assumption that all these folks like to camp. For example, there were tent campers and folks camping in the cars across the street from us, but huge Class As within eyesight that probably cost as much or more than my home!

E. I was a little disappointed to see a few folks leaving litter around their campsite.

F. Our Maltese, Gibbs, went with us and driveway camped as well. He loves traveling and camping despite his disdain of other dogs. We are working on that. He loves taking walks, including the campground.

G. Recently, Laura and I met a couple here in Bowling Green that also own a Casita. I met him on a Casita Forum. Since then we have been emailing. He and his wife came to the campground to meet Laura and I. We talked about Casitas, travel, kids, college, life, and meeting again soon. Since our trip, he has followed up with me and would like to camp with us the next time we do a 2 to 3 hour trip. Come to find out, we have several common friends.

Back to the trip. . .

4. Saturday was a crisp morning. Laura stayed in bed. I got up at 7:30 am. I made coffee on the patio under the awning. It warmed up quickly. GOSH, it was beautiful. I loved putzing under the awning, fixing b-fast, etc. I took a leisurely b-fast, Laura got up late, I people watched, and before we knew it, it was time to pack up, hitch up, and go home. Given we only drove 2.5 miles to the campground and I had only practiced towing one other time, we took the Casita up Natcher Parkway about 25 miles then exited and came home. Then, it took me 2 hours to unload! Also, the first time we practiced towing, I thought my trailer hubs seemed a bit warm. I think I liked the security of the having the brake controller set too high. This time, I backed off on the controller setting. Trailer brakes worked fine and they were warm, but not nearly as warm as the first time. I used a new digital infrared gun to check hub and brake drum temperatures. Lot's of new toys with RVing!

Final thoughts:

This experience was a means to an end, not an end in itself. We spent lots of time planning, packing, hitching (yes, unhitching, only to get up 18 hours later to hitch up to go home to unhitch), and unpacking. This shake down weekend was not really about the camping; it was about the process. We did have lots of fun with the process, but we are looking forward to staying at our next destination more than 21 hours before leaving!

Oh, we did have a little set back. The refrigerator had been working just fine on AC for the two days we driveway camped, but I could not get it to light on propane. I think something needs to be cleaned. Even though I did not need to, I switched it over to DC for the trip to the KOA. By the time we got the KOA, the fridge had stopped working completely. We have an external fridge fan that stopped working as well, which tells me that I think it is something electrical, probably a fuse, but the fuse in the breaker box is fine. The fuse in the external fridge panel is fine. Hmmm. I read the owner's manual last night. Apparently, there are two more fuses behind the power module located in the external fridge panel. I wanted to check that today, but too busy with it being Easter.

BTW, when we hitched up to leave, we backed up, hooked up the sewer hose and managed to empty the black tank and gray tank without any drama! I then did a black tank flush for the practice of using the black tank wand. Whew! All went well.

Unfortunately, I am traveling for another week for work, so no immediate follow-ups on this trip, but we are going to Townsend, TN in the Smoky's in mid April for the 9th Annual Eggscursion Rally! I will take one more afternoon before then to hitch-up, practice backing up, towing, and unhitching. Practice, practice, practice! ;

Smokey Mountains here were come!

Take care,

Dean

P.S. - I do have a couple of questions, but I will put them in a separate post(s).
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Dean..sounds like you did great

Sounds like you guy's did great ..

Like you said, better to take a few practice runs as long as you can.

Good luck on the upcoming trip to the Smokeys

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Dean, I'm sure you've seen posts dealing with the refer not lighting on PL. Only takes a little bit of dirt or a spider nest to clog it up. If you have an air compressor blow it out. Had to chuckle about taking 2 hours to unload. I think you'll find that you can leave most of your things in the trailer for the next trip and cut that time down. We pretty much only unload perishable food, trash, dirty clothes, any extras we took along for that trip and I do a quick cleaning. I keep mine ready to use, water, LP and supplies in case of emergencies.
Loading for a trip is another story. May take a week but we're retired. The food is the last thing loaded. BTW, even if you use a check sheet you will some times forget things. You may have to heat up the soup in the coffee pot cuz you just had to do that big cleaning of the pots and pans and they're still in the dishwasher .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Dean,
Looking forward to seeing all your new skills at the Eggs a la Bourbon gathering in June. You will get to practice your front to back leveling a bit, too!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Morning coffee outside in a beautiful location while the family sleeps in is one of my favorite camping perks too! Last week I sipped mine watching the sun rise over Lake Pleasant as the full moon set in the west and a wild burro came down to the water for a drink.

Get used to surprises. Yours was the fridge, mine was a suddenly non-functional DC power system.

As long as there is coffee in the morning, the rest is negotiable.

Sounds like a great beginning, Dean!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote