real close call !! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
well my new fridge arived today and i thought lets put on a new gas tank and get some heat to work in.well went to hook up tank and the fitting was to rusted to work i felt so i pluged in electric heater in and let it warm up ..went in and removed the old fridge and what do i find the gas line just laying in the cabinet. who ever put the 110v fridge in just left the line there no cap on it..boy do i feel lucky tonight for being friday the 13th it was a lucky day for me..how stupid can a person be to just leave a gas line uncaped in a cabinet..
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Lucky you, at least you're not the Scamp factory this evening.

What a disaster !!!!
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I hope you don't smoke either..

YIKES
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
I'm glad your ok. The gas scares me anyway. It could have been a real tragedy.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
how stupid can a person be to just leave a gas line uncaped in a cabinet..
Obviously they left their brains at the door when they walked in.

Turns out, Friday the 13th is your lucky day Dan Glad this turned out okay.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, its a good thing friday the 13th isn't bad news for you. You ARE very lucky nothing happened....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Dan, most LP appliances have a shut-off somewhere between the regulator and the appliance, generally within 18" or so of the appliance. It's pretty common during an appliance swap-out to just turn off the shut-off for that appliance to replace it; of course, generally the gas is off at the tanks as well. I would think though, that you'd certainly want to cap the open line end, if for no other reason than not having critters crawl in and make nests in the line if you weren't going to hook the line up again...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Dan your experience can serve as a good lesson for new egg owners. Check every inch of your gas lines before you even think of hooking it up to a tank or turning it on. When I got my boler it had a tank on the tongue - I undid the attachment at the tank first thing (make sure tank is off!) and went through the lines carefully. Easy insurance! Al
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Dan your experience can serve as a good lesson for new egg owners. Check every inch of your gas lines before you even think of hooking it up to a tank or turning it on. When I got my boler it had a tank on the tongue - I undid the attachment at the tank first thing (make sure tank is off!) and went through the lines carefully. Easy insurance! Al
i did that today found 2 leaks besides so till i canget a friend over we will use just electric heat im running new gas lines...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
I agree with checking your lines, when we bought ours, the fridge line and heater lines had been capped when the 110V fridge was put in and the heater removed. I had not tested the stove top but thought about it, then I found the floor rot and just started hauling things out, that is when I found the 6 inch spit in the line under the front bench. Needless to say I removed the propane line and plan on using all new hardware except maybe the stove if I can get it cleaned up nice.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Dan-

You are very lucky about that gas line, someone was watching over you. How do you like your new Amerigo? My dad has one also. I think you PM'd me with some questions but I have been having so many computer problems that I think I lost the PM from you. I get locked out of the forum from time to time because of all the problems. So if you have any questions about the Amerigo you can email me directly at buzzardsnest@sbcglobal.net.

When my dad got his Amerigo it was a nasty mess and he had to rebuild it from the floor up on the inside. Also just recently got my hands on a owners manual if your interested in a copy. I don't know how to send it via computer but I could send you a copy via snail-mail if you want one. Just let me know. Did not mean to get off the subject of the gas line and just how lucky you were. Just thought I would jump in while the computer would allow me too. Hope to have my computer completely fixed within a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your Amerigo and stay safe.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote