Rear Door Trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Folks, my first post here.

I am looking for a smallish trailer with the entry door at the rear. So far I know of the Lite House and the Compact Jr / II but I don't know of any others. Why? I do primitive skills demonstrations and I need to be able to carry a 8 x 5 frame made of 2x4s in the trailer. This works best with a rear door.

So, my question is two-fold. 1) Are there any other brands I should be looking for? 2) Are there any of these out there in, especially in the southeast? I looked at a Compact Jr in Murphy, NC last weekend, but the price was a little high for what he had.

Thanks for your input.

--mo

Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #2

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Trailswest Campster also has the rear door.

Bobbie

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
There is also a Compact II.

I am not sure any of these doors are 5 feet tall tho. I have had to duck in each of these models, and I am only 5ft tall.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #4

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
While not strictly a molded fiberglass trailer, cabin A from Aliner all have a rear door.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
This might be a good situation in which to use a cargo trailer converted to use as a travel trailer. There are some small moulded fiberglass cargo trailers, but of course you would have to install windows and build the complete interior with services... a lot of work but some people have done it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
And, though they aren't the most beautiful things in the world, I've seen many people put a truck camper on a utility trailer and enclose the area underneath the bed (where the truck cab would have been) to use for storage. I've seen several of these that looked as if they were working well for their owners.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am not sure any of these doors are 5 feet tall tho.
My Compact Jr's door was only 54" (4-1/2 feet) tall. My Fiber Stream's door is 60" (5 feet) tall.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for all the feedback. Trailwest Campster has been added to the search list.

My frame is 5x8, but it is shaped like this # with the 5 ft demension sticking out 6" on
either side. I think with a little finageling I should be able to get it through any door
that is intended for humans to pass through.

I considered the truck camper idea. I have seen one where there were storage bins on
both sides, where the wheel wells would be in a truck bed. Nice set-up, but yes it was
high on the ugly meter. And it probably is more trailer than I really need. I don't about
other parts of the country, but here in the south it seems like those older truck campers
are really cheap. On the other hand, the flatbed trailers are expensive. I'll consider this
my last option.

As for fiberglass utility trailers, it seems that the best looking ones are the enclosed
motorcycle trailers. There are some that have a fold-down cot inside. This may be the
way to go. I could get one of those screen canopies that are used for the back of SUVs
and I'd be all set. There are a couple of these that I will look at this weekend.

Neither one of these has the cool factor of one of the classic fiberglass RV trailers, though,
and I I may just hold out for a Compact Jr, Compact II, LiteHouse, or Campster.

Quote:
Hi Folks, my first post here.

I am looking for a smallish trailer with the entry door at the rear. So far I know of the Lite House and the Compact Jr / II but I don't know of any others. Why? I do primitive skills demonstrations and I need to be able to carry a 8 x 5 frame made of 2x4s in the trailer. This works best with a rear door.

So, my question is two-fold. 1) Are there any other brands I should be looking for? 2) Are there any of these out there in, especially in the southeast? I looked at a Compact Jr in Murphy, NC last weekend, but the price was a little high for what he had.

Thanks for your input.

--mo
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Remember the "Little Joe" is a knock off of the Lite House (I think still being manufactured?) And, perusing our albums just now I noticed The Egg (not to be confused with Eggcamper) has a rear door; and so does the Havasu.

None of these are especially common, but ya never know when someone might be wanting to sell.

Good luck!!

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote