Recommendations for picking up my new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Recommendations for picking up my new Scamp

I'm doing a happy dance that my build got moved up a whole month and I'll be picking up my 16' Scamp (Layout 6) the week of July 7. I was told I'd spend several hours there at the facility learning my new beauty. I even managed to have them NOT glue down the carpet (HUGE happy dance) so that I can easily remove it and the dinettes and put in my own flooring as I've done lots of home flooring updates over the years.

As a newbie, what recommendations do you have for picking up at the facility? What should I ask/look for from your experience?

I'm used to hauling horse trailers and 16' hay wagons, so I'm not new to towing. I've been thinking about getting a rear camera. Thoughts?

I'm also switching to a Dry Flush toilet and solar panels so I can go off grid at events I do for my art business too.

Your recommendations are sincerely appreciated.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Name: kenneth
Trailer: x
Georgia
Wow, lucky you!
I think you would greatly enjoy a back up camera to hitch up with. After a bit of practice with the camera, you'll be able to 'nail it' every time.
Compared to what you're used to towing, you'll probably be checking to see if your Scamp is still there because it's so light.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My major recommendation would be to spend a couple of nights at least, a week would be better, camping nearby. That way, you can put the trailer through it's paces and make sure everything works and you understand how it works. Much easier to get a tweak or repair done right at the factory then to have to deal with "do it yourself" or finding a local RV shop that will be familiar with molded fiberglass trailers.

Congratulations on the new trailer and your good fortune of getting it early. I got mine in Dec of last year. I ran into a snowstorm on my way home through Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Don't think you will have to worry about that. Have fun!
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Picking up your Scamp

Ruttger's Pine Lake RV Resort is in Backus close to the Scamp factory, if you don't want to take to the road right away.
https://www.ruttgerspinemountain.com/

I stayed at the Roadway Inn in Pine River (nine miles south on 371) the night before I picked up my rig. It is terrible! I'm told there are a few decent ones in Hackensack, same distance north.

Godfrey's is an excellent supermarket, hardware and camping supply store about a half mile north of the Scamp factory. They have some RV supplies, too. It's surprisingly large for such a small town, and the people there are very friendly and helpful.

It didn't take long to get checked out on my Scamp 13', but there were
two ahead of me. I had to wait a little bit, but I was on my way to Ruttger's within a couple of hours.

If you need anything that's not at Godfrey's, there are big box stores in Baxter, 39 miles to the south - Costco, Home Depot, WalMart, and more.

Enjoy your Scamp!
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
As suggested, stay at a campground nearby for at least 3 days to make sure everything works correctly. There is one within 10 min. of Scamp.

Know how to turn on your refrig all three ways, and set the thermostat. How to use the propane heater and burner. how to use the shower and toilet, if you have them. How to drain the sink properly in the shower area if you have one, also the filter located under the floor.

How to hook up to the water, both storage and city and electric system, note that the water storage unit must be cleaned before use.
How to use the hot water heater, and drain it, and where the water drain valves are located.

How to properly dump the black and grey water systems. How to operate and set up the awning if you have one.

How to stabilize the camper, depending if you have the new stabilizers or not, and proper way to set up at camp site. Its somewhat different from what you may be use to.

How to winterize the system.

Things you might want to purchase and consider bringing if you haven't already.
15 foot Rhino-Flex waste hose, and the proper waste fittings for the sewer and gloves to wear. Attached is pictures how I stored mine in a 5" x 5' vinyl post with end caps. The round pvc is where I mounted their system for storage.

Drinking and waste water hoses and water filter.
Leveling blocks, and a tri-level to level your camper.
A very good surge protector for protecting your electrical system, not the entry lever type. Some times you will be on the grid.
A good padlock to secure your hitch.
Wheel chocks
A package of small bungee cords, roll of electrical and duct tape, you'll be glad you have them when you need them.
I am sure others may have other ideas.

Welcome and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF6311.jpg   DSCF6312.jpg  

DSCF6313.jpg   DSCF6321.jpg  

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
One other thing, don't forget the electric brake controller for your tow vehicle.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
One more thing

When you pick up your Scamp one man will tell you how to operate everything. He goes rather quickly. I wish I had taken a video with my cell phone so I could review all the points later on.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damp Scamp Tramp View Post
When you pick up your Scamp one man will tell you how to operate everything. He goes rather quickly. I wish I had taken a video with my cell phone so I could review all the points later on.

If you try to video, you won't remember a thing. Just pay attention and keep all instruction manuals in a folder to refer to later. You can also search Youtube for videos that already exist and were filmed with purpose.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I made the trip there twice from North Carolina... the first time to pick up a new 16 in 2015.

I was lucky in that it was September and I could leave the windows open, as the off-gassing of the new fiberglass was annoying for a few weeks. If you are sensitive to that kind of thing, then in July you might even want to park the camper at the AmericInn and book a room .

I would not get too hung up about checking out every little thing, simply because I spent two days camping in Backus when I did my pickup, and found nothing for which I wanted to take it back to be fixed. It was only weeks and months later that I found things those things. Do check out all the major appliances, etc. of course.

Review the break-in instructions including checking torque on the lug nuts and making brake adjustments (on the wheels AND on the controller) during the first few hundred miles.

Since you mentioned it, if I were going to put my own floor in then I would have them install NO carpet at all. I would either get vinyl (which I hear is now standard) or neither vinyl or carpet. But its possible that they improve the sub-floor when they put in vinyl but not for carpet.. you would need to confirm that with them. Depending on what flooring you use, you might need to improve the sub-floor so that the imperfections don't show through. But you likely know that if you have done much flooring. And its maybe too late - maybe the carpet is already in.

Did you get the Max Fan with rain cover? Being able to ventilate the camper in the rain is very nice, esp with a new one that is off-gassing.

It seems like they take a while with some buyers to show them everything, but with others (like me), they whiz past everything as soon as they figure that this is not their first RV. Or maybe it being Friday afternoon had more to do with that. No worries, there is the Scamp FAQs (bottom of this page), the somewhat out of date Scamp Videos (which they also gave me on a CD), this forum, etc. to get it all figured out.

Lastly, traveling around the July 4th holiday is gonna suck at times. Be sure to avoid Chicago at any costs, at least while towing.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #10

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Just a comment to Lockman on the pictures of sewer line storage secured with zipties. I had to go that route last year but in a few days one of the zipties broke (heavy duty ones) so I added a couple stainless steel hose clamps. More reliable than zipties.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

North Carolina
Thank you!

You all have given great tips for my consideration. If you think of anything else, please do post more.

Thank you all!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
One other thing, don't forget the electric brake controller for your tow vehicle.
That's next on my list to have installed. Got the hitch installed and the transmission cooler installed. Any recommendations for the electric brake controller?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I would ask them to plug it into electric and add water right at the factory, to test the systems.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Prodigy 2 or 3
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Just a comment to Lockman on the pictures of sewer line storage secured with zipties. I had to go that route last year but in a few days one of the zipties broke (heavy duty ones) so I added a couple stainless steel hose clamps. More reliable than zipties.
Would love to know where to get hose clamps big enough. Did you get them at a big box store, small store, online or other?

Thanks,
Dennis
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Big box stores like Lowe’s or home depot
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, scamp