Recommendations for summer 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Recommendations for summer 2017

I have spent the past two summers in Montana in our 2015 17' Casita Independence. Including a 2015 spring trip through NM, AZ, UT and CO, we have a pretty good idea of future trips to these beautiful areas of the country.

In 2017 I am considering New England, Canada, or possibly UP MI. I would love to hear your suggestions for a 6-8 week trip in July and August. Additionally, I have a fall foliage trip on the bucket list for sometime soon. If you have suggestions for that, please include.

In general, we like to find a campground with electric/water and generally stay for 4-5 days while we explore the surrounding countryside. National Park/ monuments and state parks are always high on our list as well as historical sites.
Thanks for you forthcoming suggestions. blessings...
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot 24B175CB
Michigan
We may have seen each other at some time in 2015. We did a7,000+ mile journey from MI many of the same states you did in our Casita SD17. As a Michigander hoping to move to CO, I can offer some ideas for in MI. If anyone has never experienced the Upper Penninsula (UP) in MI you need to put it on your list. You also need to know that it will not be a fast trip if you cover all of the best that the UP has to offer, it is huge from one end to the other.
One of the must see even though tecnically it is not part of the UP is Mackinaw Island. No camping there, you take a ferry ride to the island (no vehicles allowed, only horses and bicycles) and you can see the important things in one day.
In the eastern section of the UP go straight north on I-75 to the Taquamannon Falls. Then head west along the southern shore of Lake Superior. You will come to the town of Munising to the iconic Pictured Rocks NP. Continue west to Marquette, a beautiful downtown and marina right on the lake.
Continue west then head northerly in the Keewenaw penninsula through the sister cities of Houghton & Hancock. Another must see is Cooper Harbor on the northern tip of the Penninsula. There is an awsome color loop tour just south of Cooper Harbor. If time and direction permits, another iconic site is the Porcupine Moutain Wilderness State Park at the western end of the UP. There are camping /RV places there and near the major roads throughout the UP.

Have a safe journey and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I envy those who go on LONG trips and see LOTS of the continent!

We're getting used to using our trailer and being away from home (making it also feel like a home takes me longer than some)...and for this year at least, we're waiting out the various political winds and an 18-month transition period while each of us gets old enough to go onto Medicare. We don't quite know how that'll work out just yet personally or financially.

Meanwhile, we have five trips planned within our state and next door, and are rather holding back until we have a clearer sense of what we're up to.

My best to you distance travelers! I salute you with some degree of longing to join you out there in the great beyond! One day, maybe.

Happy Trails! (I keep typing "trials," and for me, budging past my own fireside IS sometimes kind of a trial...which I endure for Paul's sake as much as for any other reason. Paul, and the girls, who LOVE LOVE LOVE "going!").

BEST
Kai
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Personally, I'd go with Ken's excellent dialogue for MI's UP (post #2). We've done most of what he describes on our own wanderings around Lake Superior. But, why not also consider the shore line around the better side of the same Lake ? We lived on the north shore of this 'Superior' lake for over 30 years, and still think it is the most beautiful natural landscape you'll ever see. And, there are many camping locations all the way from the 'Soo' to the western lakehead; some fully-serviced, and others more appropriate for the boondockers. Check out the several Ontario Provincial Parks (all with campgrounds) along the Trans-Canada Highway 17.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymcs View Post
I have spent the past two summers in Montana in our 2015 17' Casita Independence. Including a 2015 spring trip through NM, AZ, UT and CO, we have a pretty good idea of future trips to these beautiful areas of the country.

In 2017 I am considering New England, Canada, or possibly UP MI. I would love to hear your suggestions for a 6-8 week trip in July and August. Additionally, I have a fall foliage trip on the bucket list for sometime soon. If you have suggestions for that, please include.

In general, we like to find a campground with electric/water and generally stay for 4-5 days while we explore the surrounding countryside. National Park/ monuments and state parks are always high on our list as well as historical sites.
Thanks for you forthcoming suggestions. blessings...
I agree with msu1966 on things to see in Michigan but one you don't want to miss is the Sault St Marie Loks boat trip. We did a lunch cruise and the food was wonderful. Also Whitefish Pt Light Station way north but worth the trip. A lot of history of sunken ships, a light house and more. We stayed a week in Mackinaw City at the Mill Creek Campground. It is nice and has swimming pool, etc. The sunsets were unbelievable from the campground looking at the Mackinac Bridge. In Lower Michigan the Air Zoo Museum in Kalamazoo is awesome. It is quite interactive for all ages. The Frederick Meier Sculpture Gardens in Grand Rapids is worth a day also. We did this and more on our 2016 trip. We want to go see more since we didn't get to the northern coast of the UP.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Mi. Keewenaw

Ken's comments are right on ! When in Keewenaw , I've camped at Hancock city park , Lake Linden city park & a small private park just outside Gay . I liked all three . Lake Linden has swimming , but my favorite is Kauppi's camp in Gay ; it is right on Lake Superior. This area has many great museums , & well worth the time to check them out .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
[QUOTE=Jerrymcs;623908]

If and when you come to New England for sure do not mill Arcadia National park and stay at there new campground called Schoodic Campground.
What a place to camp and visit.
We stayed there last summer and got in without reservation because it was late Sept. but during the high season Reservations are required.
Wife and I aften travel on a whim and if we do not get a spot to camp we just go to the next campground down the road.
Arcadia has a photo opt at every corner in the drive around the island and the campground is across the Frenchmens bay and sits atop a low mountain so night time heavenly sites are a wonder.
They do have full hook up sites but we just take Electric as our Boler1300 doesn't have a bathroom.
There rest facilities are brand new and outdoor wash stations for doing dishes is well kept up.
If in the area in May of this year consider my rally
Spring Fling in New England.
It is posted under Rallies and Meets and is Chocorua NH a KOA campground...See Thread.
Well Happy and safe camping in 2017
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
My 4-5 week trip in June will be to the Canadian Maritimes of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island and Newfoundland, with a segue on the way up to Hudson on the Hudson to see Olana, Frederick Church 's (of the Hudson River School of American Art) farm and museum. Since it'sa 3 day trip at flight speed just to get back to Florida, I'm doing a lick and promise. West coast of Bay of Fundy (going to try to get to see The old Sow Whirlpool near Campobello) Possible birding trip to Matthias /Seal Rock, Fundy National Park, Hopewell Rocks, Cabot Trail and Cape Breton Island National Park, the Ferry overnight from Sidney NS to Port aux Chose Newfoundland, up the west coast of NF looking at the 2 Viking sites and Gros Morne National Park, back thru the same ferry to Nova Scotia going down the East Coast of Fundy with a ride the tidal bore experience, ferry from Yarmouth to Portland Maine, and 3 days to make it back back to FL for DH to go back to work. If I had more tie I would've included a side trip to Labrador and gone down the east side of newfoundland to see more birding sites. If more time, I would've returned via the East Coast, with a stop at Assateague to see wild horses and done the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tUnnel. As an all-electric trailer, I'de have no difficulty with the tunnel I think. Outer Banks of NC before hurricane season gets too settled in and a segue over to Greenville SC to see my almost-daughter.

Another lengthy trip Id like to do is up the Blue Ridge Parkway in either spring or fall.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
French creek State Park, in PA is not to bad, from there you can explore Lancaster county, lots of eateries, craft shops, and beautiful country farms all about. French creek has a few full hookups, but mostly just electric, with water close buy, and a dump station. Showers and rest rooms. Nice area no matter what time of year. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco