Recommended Laptop, Accesories and Programs? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
Patrick, I need wireless for dummies ! I found the lil switch on the front for the wireless antenna. So guess it does. Thanks for your response.

Vera
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Patrick, I need wireless for dummies ! I found the lil switch on the front for the wireless antenna. So guess it does. Thanks for your response.
Vera
Take a look at your computer’s features list that came with it. If it says 802.11 (there will be a letter after the numbers like 802.11g ) it has WiFi.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
FCC reportedly now requires all laptops equipped with internal wifi to have a manual switch, BTW. To activate a connection in WinDoze, look at bottom of screen for what looks like a little TV set and RIGHT click on it, select View Available... and click on it. Then from window (may have to click refresh) highlight the network you want and click connect.

I strongly advise having a good firewall and virus checker in place. I use free Zone Alarm and free AVG (grisoft.com) rather than the other stuf.

I also advise that you turn off file and printer sharing. In WinXP, here's how:

Start>ControlPanel>NetworkConnections>highlight WiFi card>select Change Settings from menu on left>under GeneralTab, uncheck first two boxes, then click OK.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
FCC reportedly now requires all laptops equipped with internal wifi to have a manual switch, BTW.
Pete,

I can't find anything about this alleged requirement. Could you lead us to any new article about it?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #45

I took a quick look and couldn't find anything, so I'm glad I used weasel-word in my comment

I believe I read about it on a brand-specific forum that has sadly disappeared into cyber-space, so there's no way I could verify. It DOES sound like something the FCC would do and so far, every recent laptop I've noticed has had a switch, but I haven't actually been checking...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
I took a quick look and couldn't find anything, so I'm glad I used weasel-word in my comment

I believe I read about it on a brand-specific forum that has sadly disappeared into cyber-space, so there's no way I could verify. It DOES sound like something the FCC would do and so far, every recent laptop I've noticed has had a switch, but I haven't actually been checking...

It doesn't sound to me like anything the FCC would do. First the level and frequency band fall into the rules for unlicensed radio transmissions. BTW, the FCC recently ruled that nobody but the FCC can control transmissions that fit into that category.

After a bit of research it looks like Tashiba and Averatec ares about the only brands that have this switch. Read reviews.

To me it's just another failure point touted as a bell and whistle.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #47

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
FCC reportedly now requires all laptops equipped with internal wifi to have a manual switch, BTW. To activate a connection in WinDoze, look at bottom of screen for what looks like a little TV set and RIGHT click on it, select View Available... and click on it. Then from window (may have to click refresh) highlight the network you want and click connect.
I don't know about the FCC, but many of my gummitt contractor customers require me to disable Wifi on my laptop as I pass thru their security checkpoints. One even locks up my camera equipped cellphone while I'm on the property in addition. They're serious about corporate spying.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #48

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
FCC reportedly now requires all laptops equipped with internal wifi to have a manual switch, BTW.
I don't think so. Not only can I buy laptops without a switch in the store, there are other devices (namely wifi-capable cell phones) that automatically connect to wifi when it's available, and they have no manual switch, either. What does make sense, however, is conserving battery life by turning WiFi off when it's not available or you're not using it.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #49

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
After a bit of research it looks like Tashiba and Averatec ares about the only brands that have this switch. Read reviews.
My HP dv2000 has a switch,
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
My HP dv2000 has a switch,
George.
I imagine that there will be more and more brands doing this. I can think of several software solutions to running the wifi radion when not needed, but alas, the consumer is often the dictator of the use of antique technologies. An elegant software solution could be totally transparent to the user.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #51

I have an Averatec and was recently fooling around with a friend's Toshiba...

I was messing with Linux in my Averatec and found the switch doesn't work in Linux, but does in WinXP, so I don't think it's a physical switch for the wifi card. Rather, I think it's some kind of software to turn the card on and off.

The FCC has some odd responsibilities at times, like regulating the cell phone providers beyond just frequency control. If one has a complaint about a provider, one files it with the FCC, not some state agency. FCC, for example, now requires all cell providers to process 911 calls for free, even if they originate from unsubscribed phones.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
The FCC has some odd responsibilities at times, like regulating the cell phone providers beyond just frequency control. If one has a complaint about a provider, one files it with the FCC, not some state agency. FCC, for example, now requires all cell providers to process 911 calls for free, even if they originate from unsubscribed phones.
Ahh, there's a problem with requiring 911 calls to be completed?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #53

There used to be. Some providers would answer 911 and "0" (operator calls) voluntarily and some would not. The FCC came out with a ruling requiring ALL providers to forward the 911 calls and to do it for free, even if the phone was unsubscribed. That's why people who carry cells only for emergencies can save money by just buying an unsubscribed phone at a pawn shop and still be able to connect to 911.

FCC and Free 911

I had called the FCC about something else in about 1996 and asked about 911 processing. The FCC lady told me at that time that the FCC was processing the paperwork for the ruling.

In fact, the FCC now even has 911 jurisdiction over VoIP providers.

FCC and VoIPP 911

The FCC can be kind of an octopus -- I worked for GTE and at one time we shared a satellite network with ATT, earth stations in FL, HI and CA. Because of the system, GTE Florida, a subsidiary of GTE, came under the purvey of the FCC with regard to telephone switch depreciation and all sorts of stuf that had no direct relation to the sat system. After the sat system became technically obsolete and was totally dismantled, the FCC STILL retained the jurisdiction over the local phone company.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
There used to be. Some providers would answer 911 and "0" (operator calls) voluntarily and some would not. The FCC came out with a ruling requiring ALL providers to forward the 911 calls and to do it for free, even if the phone was unsubscribed. That's why people who carry cells only for emergencies can save money by just buying an unsubscribed phone at a pawn shop and still be able to connect to 911.

FCC and Free 911

I had called the FCC about something else in about 1996 and asked about 911 processing. The FCC lady told me at that time that the FCC was processing the paperwork for the ruling.

In fact, the FCC now even has 911 jurisdiction over VoIP providers.

FCC and VoIPP 911

The FCC can be kind of an octopus -- I worked for GTE and at one time we shared a satellite network with ATT, earth stations in FL, HI and CA. Because of the system, GTE Florida, a subsidiary of GTE, came under the purvey of the FCC with regard to telephone switch depreciation and all sorts of stuf that had no direct relation to the sat system. After the sat system became technically obsolete and was totally dismantled, the FCC STILL retained the jurisdiction over the local phone company.
The FCC has maintained jurisdiction over the phone companies for many years. If you look at any phone made after 1985 you'll an FCC registration number.

In the 70s the FCC told the phone companies they had come up with a method for subscriber owned equipment to be connected to their lines. The phone companies came up with a coupler that 3rd party equipment would connect through to phone lines. The FCC deemed this not good enough and took matters into their own hands. They made all subscriber equipment no matter who owned the equipment to registered and to meet FCC specifications. That's when the phone companies jumped out of leasing phones or any other subscriber equipment. That's also about the time judge Green broke up AT&T. I was working for Code-A-Phone at the time. They were the world leader in telephone answering equipment for both home and office, emphasis on were.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #55

I used to work in this area, including engineering economics presentations to FCC and FL PSC staffs, and the FCC was NOT in the business of approving depreciation rates on central office equipment, underground cable, buildings, etc. that was part of the local telephone company. They were involved in interstate stuf, which is why we got sucked into their clutches with the sat system. They were a real pain in the butt because they overlapped the state public service/utility commissions, but quickly yielded authority and followed the PSCs leads because they didn't want any subset of 50 PSCs ganging up on them.

This was happening in the middle '80s. It was interesting to watch the German phone company go through the customer interface changes in the early '90s.

I would presume the FCC was setting standards (or approving standards that Bell Labs developed) on telephone instruments so that they could properly mesh with the entire system to allow long-distance calls. Prior to that, ATT was the arbiter of long-distance standards, but when they were cut loose, someone had to keep it all together.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #56

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I was messing with Linux in my Averatec and found the switch doesn't work in Linux, but does in WinXP, so I don't think it's a physical switch for the wifi card. Rather, I think it's some kind of software to turn the card on and off.
Ditto the WiFI switch on my Compaq Presario laptop. The WiFi switch only operates under Windows.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #57

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Ditto the WiFI switch on my Compaq Presario laptop. The WiFi switch only operates under Windows.
I smell a conspiracy.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #58
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I find this little Asus eee pc very intriguing. I know little to nothing about computers so I don't do well with geek speak. Most of this has been very easy to understand, but I have a couple of questions.

Can you use a CD with this little computer? IOW can I look at pictures that I have stored on a CD or can I only look at the ones stored on my digital camera (via cable/usb)?

Does the "eee" do dvds?

What would the drawbacks be for an ordinary person using it on the road? Did I understand that constant WiFi can be a security issue?

Would this be a better choice than the Acer Inspire for someone like me? In a very few simple words, why or why not?

Thanks for your patience.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #59

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Suz, you would be much more satisfied with something like the Acer. It has all the CD & DVD features you want, and is running Windows. The Eee PC is really designed as a second or third or fourth computer.

Although I would not buy something at Circuit City because of their return policy - check this out instead: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8221530

Circuit City:
Desktop PCs, notebook PCs, must be returned within 14 days of the sale date, and (except where prohibited by law) are subject to a 15% restocking fee if returned opened or in a non-factory sealed box.

WalMart:
Computer hardware: Must be returned with any included software within 15 days of receipt.

And, my favorite - Costco:
We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: computers must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #60
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Thanks, Patrick. I do have my regular PC for at home, but I've been thinking about one of these small ones for the road. I took one of my husband's laptops with me once and it was too big, heavy, and more trouble than it was worth.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote