Recommended Laptop, Accesories and Programs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
On our last big trip, I felt like I had blinders on because I did not have the on-line access that I did at home. It was easier to find local information 2000 miles away than it was parked in the actual town. Time to bite the bullet and get a current laptop. So what say you? What do I need to have happy internet access and electronic entertainment sitting in my trailer? My apologies for the scope of the question, but for most of us in the north, it's too cold to camp anyways...
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I would recommend getting a note book with built in WiFi. Then for truely portable Internet access, get an EVDO device.

EVDO devices come in both plug in "cards" (PCMCIA or Express) and USB "devices". I recommend USB device. They are the latest and greatest and they work on either Macs or PCs.

EVDO ExpressCards are aesthetically more appealing in their slots, but are not inherently any faster than USB EVDO device.

USB device can operate on end of a USB cable, positioned to receive best signal, far away from RF of laptops motherboard.

USB will work with any Mac you are likely to get, however... every USB EVDO modem tested thus far, is UNable to directly connect to funky USB port of MacBook Air (!)

My recommendation is get a USB EVDO modem like the USB727/UM150 for Verizon (or CDU680 for Sprint).

If you want to add WiFi capability to your EVDO connection, you can add a router and these EVDO devices will plug directly in. With this option, both husbon and wife can login at the same time. (also can be password protected) This is a great option while camping as you can go outside and still be connected wirelessly.

If you are doing this in next couple of weeks, then go with CTR350 router. If you can wait, then get the forthcoming MBR1000.

You'll also want at least an indoor/portable booster antenna to help with weak signal you encounter when in rural areas with fewer towers. Wilson trucker antenna can be mounted on your trailer for better reception.

A good source for FREE information and these tools is http://3gstore.com/
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Mike, good information,</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">What is the approximate running cost and speed for EVDO?</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">George.</span>

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

I added links to ALL the products so you can see what they are. Also, (as with other cell products) pricing varies based on contract length.

Speed varies based on location.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I added links to ALL the products so you can see what they are. Also, (as with other cell products) pricing varies based on contract length.

Speed varies based on location.

All I want to do is get a better wireless antenna so my MacBookPro can pick up a weak signal. What do I need for that?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
All I want to do is get a better wireless antenna so my MacBookPro can pick up a weak signal. What do I need for that?
Bobbie
I think you want to look at this thread: [b]Wi-Fi technology while on the road., Catching the Free Hot Spots
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

Take a look at the Vertical Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
On our last big trip, I felt like I had blinders on because I did not have the on-line access that I did at home. It was easier to find local information 2000 miles away than it was parked in the actual town. Time to bite the bullet and get a current laptop. So what say you? What do I need to have happy internet access and electronic entertainment sitting in my trailer? My apologies for the scope of the question, but for most of us in the north, it's too cold to camp anyways...

A lot depends on YOUR needs. Mike's needs are at the top end of the food chain. Because of his business web activities he needs almost full time access, which is pretty spendy.

The other end is to connect every couple of days, only long enough to get email and get out few web sites, like this one. In this case many lap tops without adding all the extra EVDO, AT&T's card, high powered USB, antennas, or routers aren't really needed. Every day there's more and more free wifi hot spots. Almost all lap tops come with built in wifi. During a 2 week vacation last summer I had no problems finding hot spots when I wanted one. I had to carry my computer to a coffee shop a couple times, but it was no big deal.

Also note that Sprint and Verizon that use EVDO cards also have a monthly cost to use that card, as does AT&T data services. Those systems are cell phone systems.

I suggest you analysis your needs first, then try it out without spending a lot of money on add-ons. Then add stuff as the need arises. I have a pretty nice Dell PC laptop, cost about $1,400. I added a canon printer $200, and a memory card reader to transfer pictures from my camera to computer $6.00

In the future Wimax could take the place of the cellphone data services, but it hasn't really caught on yet.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll add that although I had a laptop and WiFi adapter, I did most of my internet stuf on the road using libraries and their terminals.

Had someone on one RV list complaining to me that I had sent him viruses and I had to "get my machine cleaned" but it wasn't me because I was using a different library every day during that period. Went for years without connecting my laptop to the internet and it's very difficult to get viruses that way...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I'll add that although I had a laptop and WiFi adapter, I did most of my internet stuf on the road using libraries and their terminals.

Had someone on one RV list complaining to me that I had sent him viruses and I had to "get my machine cleaned" but it wasn't me because I was using a different library every day during that period. Went for years without connecting my laptop to the internet and it's very difficult to get viruses that way...

Lots of things are changing. Wifi hot spots are increasing in numbers daily. I can get on the internet while having my oil changed. The local urgent care facility has free wifi that all I have to do is sit in the lobby. There's a new cell phone system that has potential to change that whole area. Speaking of libraries, more and more of them have free wifi, some just for card holder. My whole point is that in the 2 or 3 years since you on road all time things have changed a lot when it come to internet connectivity.

Today wifi is mostly the "in" thing. Tomorrow it'll be something else.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #11

All very good points and WiFi is a very good way to go. I use it when ever I can.

I find I like to be able to get on line while Lori is driving down the road to look for Trader Joes, a RV park, the next Flying J truck stop, or what ever. Also, while camped way out in the BLM desert or a Bullards Beach when it is raining, I can get onlune with an EVDO device.

The closer you get to FullTiming or the more time you spend, the more you can justify the $69 and monthly overhead.

I hope this helps,
Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I was traveling last week for five days and I used my iPod Touch more than my macbook (laptop) to check mail and a few sites. It was much easier and faster via the available wifi hotspots. I have a USB 720 from Verizon (through work) and it's used as a last resort.

As for laptop/notebook... I'm an Apple fanboy so I'm just a wee bit biased. Really look at what you want to do with it and make sure you spend an amount you're happy with. Hardware has really exceeded what an average user needs so don't over buy.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
All very good points and WiFi is a very good way to go. I use it when ever I can.

I find I like to be able to get on line while Lori is driving down the road to look for Trader Joes, a RV park, the next Flying J truck stop, or what ever. Also, while camped way out in the BLM desert or a Bullards Beach when it is raining, I can get onlune with an EVDO device.

The closer you get to FullTiming or the more time you spend, the more you can justify the $69 and monthly overhead.

I hope this helps,
Mike

I totally agree with you in your case. In my case however things are a bit different. I'm always the driver, so internet surfing while traveling down the road is out. If I can't get an internet connection for a 3 or 4 days it's ok. We only have one laptop computer. (we wont talk about the number of desktops in my house). I don't think it's the fulltiming that makes a difference, it's how you use the internet.

Those that, like me, have a anchored house with an internet connection, (my case I'm already paying 2 isps), might find it hard to justify another $69.00/month on top of the $50.00 to $70.00 that's currently paid for internet service. Also for some of us our fulltiming or even part timing style would keep us out of cell phone range much of the time. Well over half of the place I camp there' no cell phone coverage and if is it's not good enough for data.

Just my 2 cents worth from a different view point.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Just my 2 cents worth from a different view point.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Those that, like me, have a anchored house with an internet connection, (my case I'm already paying 2 isps), might find it hard to justify another $69.00/month on top of the $50.00 to $70.00 that's currently paid for internet service. Also for some of us our fulltiming or even part timing style would keep us out of cell phone range much of the time. Well over half of the place I camp there' no cell phone coverage and if is it's not good enough for data.
Or you can accept EVDO speeds, dump your existing internet service and get a router that will accept the cellular data card. Then you can take the card on the road as well as use it at home. There's a Yahoo group about that (Internet by Data Card).

Actually, I was using a cell connection in later years on the road, but my point about using the libraries is that there are no decisions or investments in laptops or viruses if one uses the existing facilities, and the libraries are easy to find. Just a different perspective.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Or you can accept EVDO speeds, dump your existing internet service and get a router that will accept the cellular data card. Then you can take the card on the road as well as use it at home. There's a Yahoo group about that (Internet by Data Card).

Actually, I was using a cell connection in later years on the road, but my point about using the libraries is that there are no decisions or investments in laptops or viruses if one uses the existing facilities, and the libraries are easy to find. Just a different perspective.

I almost did that, but cell connections in my area we close to dial up speeds. (EDVO and Edge are cellphone data connections). From what I've seen the libraries are starting to go away from buying computers. I imagine they'll always have a couple, but they might be hard to access to.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #17

Local library using some kind of small box connected to flat monitors for access. They don't appear to be any kind of stand-alone gizmo, just some sort of dumb terminal as a client.

BTW, I still don't have internet access at home; I drag my laptop to the coffee shop or library or city hall where the free wifi systems are (none within wifi line-of-sight to my home, sadly). All are turned on 24/7 if I need after-hours access.

Sadly, I can no longer access using cell phone at night or weekend.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use my Treo. It can be used on the Internet itself or connected to our laptops to power them on the Internet. We use Macs, but both are Intel Macs and the program that runs the Internet is PC. Just power up Parallels and we have the Internet.

Should come in handy when we go to South Dakota in March.

CindyL
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Back to laptops, I totally agree that getting a laptop with built-in wi-fi is a must, but suggest that, if this is to be your "road machine" and that most of the time you'll be using it as an email/web machine, I'd buy something at the bottom of the laptop food chain. That way you won't be too put out just leaving it in your trailer at all times, not be too upset if it gets dropped and broken or stolen.

My new laptop isn't for everyone, but it very much fits the bill as a compact, go-anywhere, affordable laptop. I got an Asus Eee PC when they first came out. They're small (smaller than a "For Dummies" book), light (2lbs/0.9kg), power-efficient (20w charger that I can run on my solar panel) and run for 3+ hours on a single charge, come with applications that cover most of your basics (word processor/office suite, web & email programs, etc) and have built-in wi-fi. Downsides are the screen is smaller than most people are used to, it has no hard or CD-ROM drive (it has a solid-state "flash" memory hard drive and you can also use "SD" memory cards, like many people have in their digital cameras, and "thumb" drives, for storage), and it runs the Linux operating system.

I still have my bigger, heavier Windows laptop, but my big laptop is bulky and inconvenient when I'm out and about doing things. The Eee is easy to take with me when I travel or need a computer I can just toss in my backpack. It has everything I need when I'm on the road. It also earns bonus points for being able to fit on one of those little round Starbucks tables without crowding my mocha or bakery goodie.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Peter, the Asus Eee PC is on my list of things to buy to bring the country out of a recession when I get our "rebate". Although I'm hoping the rumors of a 9" model are true, and I have the will power to wait for it, but one way or another, I'm going to git one of these beauties!

Cam, back to your question. I would either order or buy at WalMart or Costco/Sams (for pricing and return policy) a Dell laptop with WiFi and 2gig of RAM. Battery life is a consideration on the road so you don't want one like I'm typing on with a 17" wide-screen (hence the desire for the Asus Eee).

I see our Safeway now has WiFi and its spreading, so I have no interest in paying for cellular Internet access so EVDO is not on my radar.

Go here for some more Dell ideas: http://www.notebookforums.com/forum71.html
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote