Recreational Areas? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Recreational Areas?

I was just wondering if generally speaking when you see a sign that says "Recreational Area" yet doesnt have a camping symbol is there still usually camping available there? A couple of times on my trip I was tempted to follow "Recreation Area" signs when it was late and I couldnt find a campground but not knowing how far off the road they were or if camping is usually found at these areas I kept on truckin' till I found a known Campground. Also, do most City Parks have camping? I saw signs for those too but once again didnt want to waste time, energy and gas since it was usually waaaaaaaay later than I anticipated going on a wild goose chase.

Melissa

Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
No guarantees about either one, but rec areas often do have camping and city parks sometimes do. That's why a campground directory and online camping resources can be so helpful, they can tell which ones do and give distance & directions.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks, Mike. I have the Trailer Life CG Directory and these places were not in it and I didnt have internet access (or even cell svc) so I wasnt able to look it up unfortunately. I do have the Core of Engineers Campground Guide and State Parks Guide too so I thought I was pretty well covered but still ended up driving waaaaaaaaaay farther than I wanted not being able to find a place.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Oh, ok. You have the main stuff, then. I guess maybe CGs are just a little too few and scattered in some areas.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I was just wondering if generally speaking when you see a sign that says "Recreational Area" yet doesnt have a camping symbol is there still usually camping available there?
Here in California, the answer would be no. If there isn't a sign with either a tent symbol or a trailer symbol, then the recreational area is for "Day Use" only.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Here in California, the answer would be no. If there isn't a sign with either a tent symbol or a trailer symbol, then the recreational area is for "Day Use" only.
Same in Oregon too. In fact within the city limits of Portland, it's against city ordinance to "camp" unless within a RV park... or such. It's one of the things used to keep transients from "camping" in public spaces.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We have had great success in finding campgrounds with the AAA CampBooks over the years.

Now doing research before we go on line is a great aide.

Recreation & Visitor Services

Free Campgrounds for RVs

Free Camping | RV Camping, Car Camping, Tent Camping | Campsites, Campgrounds

Bob's Cheap or Free CG's US - Google Maps

Can't answer your original question about signs. Seems like often not, sometimes maybe yes. Always good to know just how far off the highway these might be.

Good question.

Campgrounds in City Parks are a neat find, but not all city parks have camping or allow camping. Small towns more likely to have this. But we have stayed in at least one and I have read about others which seem good places as well. It seems to me those with camping are in the minority.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #8

Name: mary
Trailer: scamp 13 ft
Texas
adrian said it well
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks e'body! I had researched online and had my paper with CG addy's/phone numbers etc of where I'd "planned" to stay and then my route changed so all that went out the window. 2 nights in a row I couldnt find my designated CG neither by GPS nor Trailer Life directions even after calling on the 2nd night and being told the directions were good. The office was closing and I think the guy just wanted to get off the phone so didnt offer any add'l info and hung up on me. By the time I found another place to stop I was about 100 miles from a highway change I was suppose to make so had to change my entire route East and South. I didnt plan on going through Minnesota at all, was suppose to turn South in IA but couldnt find a place to stay. From the directory it looked like we'd have better luck finding CG's in Minnesota than Northern Nebraska so we kept driving East. Tell ya what, if the Scamp Factory had been closer we'd have taken a detour to Backus to check them out, lol. Here, we take all the free wi-fi hotspots for granted yet out West I couldnt find any. We hit every McDonalds, Burger king Wendy's etc Parking lot looking for wi-fi for the laptop so we could find somewhere online that maybe wasnt in my guidebooks. Was told by the managers "that's only in the big cities", lol. So lesson learned, not every McDonalds, etc has wi-fi if you're traveling through nothing but small towns. Called Hubby at work one night and he found us one online and called me back with directions.

Looking forward to doing it all again! Have 2 Rallys planned and one 3 day weekend of camping every month through Christmas plus T'giving weekend and Spring Break.