Redo of 1984 Companion (U-Haul) Trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #41

Name: Joan
Trailer: Companion
Michigan
Registry
Hi again, Gary-

Yes, I've been reading about the roll and tip method. One nice looking paint job used only a small roller to tip instead of the brush, and with careful work and patience got the paint to level very nicely. Right now this interests me a lot.

There's a small piece of me that is saying "if you get off all the flaking old paint maybe you don't need to paint for another year" (of course I'd have to be willing to live with the ugly FG patches, or just slap some white on them so they aren't quite so unsightly for the year or so.

Anyway, I'm going to finish with the wash and scrub, see what stripper does and estimate how much I need. Don't need to decide yet anyway. I can't even get the rest of the fiberglass mat I need for another week.

After the surface is no longer flaking I could wax and not worry about paint for a couple years, but then I'd just have to strip the wax, and knowing myself, I'll be better off to do the paint now, or it might never happen.

Anyway... going to check my budget today and see what I've spent so far.
Joan of Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #42

Michigan
Registry
Washing and stripping, and waiting for the store to get more fiberglass mat in stock.

My Quality Day: My Trailer- Redo Days 12 & 13- Cleaning, Stripping, More Choices, Some Decisions

Old 07-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #43

Michigan
Registry
Four more days of work (of course not ALL day, but I only have a couple hours for the most part). The stripping is getting there. Well, not really, but progress is being made.

My Quality Day: My Trailer - Redo Days 16-19 - Stripping and Swatching

And I may have thought of a fix for the sprung door that isn't as extensive as the really good fix posted on this forum (but I can't find it right now).
Old 07-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #44

Michigan
Registry
Took on the big hole that was behind the air conditioner today.

My Quality Day: My Trailer - Redo Day 20 - Fiberglass and the Big Hole

Got the backing done.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #45

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Joan--way to go!

If patience is a virtue, then you are one virtuous person!!

I think there a number of credible ways to finishing f/g repairs... how do you plan on finishing-off/smoothing-up the exterior surface?
On my project, once I got whatever structural-type work completed with f/g matte & resin, and the shape was close-to-right, I started the transition to auto-body-fillers [easier to work with and/or shape]. I used a fiberglass-based filler initially [no talc-type fillers, so it's waterproof.......and NOT full of fibers, often called "kitty-hair"]--I think it was called DuraGlass. Then used a modest amount of conventional polyester body-filler [ie--Bondo] for final smoothing & easier sanding.

'Not presuming to tell you what to do........just worked for me.
Carry on!
Gary
Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #46

Michigan
Registry
Gary- actually, that IS helpful. The most useful video I had found so far about the finishing said to use Cabosil with resin for the final because it was easier to sand. Two vids I watched yesterday said it was more difficult. :/ I only bought a quart of Cabosil, which might be enough for everything, or not. Good to know that if I run out on the big hole I can mix the two (I don't mean with the resin in the same batch!), or maybe I'll just use Bondo from the get-go on the big one.

I like your idea of the fumed glass underneath for strength with some Bondo on top.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #47

Michigan
Registry
OK, just because it's so darned hard to find, here is the link to the pdf (which is why the search function on this site won't find it) of the REALLY GOOD fix for the sprung door, warped door, sagging door (to help searches find this).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...lerDoorFix.pdf

I am contemplating a partial similar option. Door is badly sprung at the bottom. Squirrels could definitely get in, maybe even larger animals in the winter.

And here is a simpler one

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...DoorRepair.pdf
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #48

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Yayyyyy!!! Me!! Can not WAIT to escape FLORIDA! 😆
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #49

Michigan
Registry
Keeping on, but it's slow going. My Quality Day: My Trailer - Redo Days 23-29 - Half Stripped

Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #50

Michigan
Registry
This step is done! Thought I'd never get there. My Quality Day: My Trailer Redo - Days 29-49 - Stripping Round 1 Done!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:00 AM   #51

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Joan,

Congratulations!! That "phase" of the work seems to have been long-drawn-out. That major f/g patch looks nice, too!

Gary
Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #52

Michigan
Registry
The seam where the two halves of the trailer join has been sealed at least 3 times, two with silicone and one with butyl. Most of it is cracking and separating. In other words, no longer a watertight seal. I'm chipping the loose stuff out. Assume that the correct sealant is butyl.
(And I have new trim loc to put over it after painting)
Right?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #53

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
If it were me, after thoroughly cleaning out all the old silicone and calking (there is a product to dissolve silicone), I would fiberglass the seam of the two halves together. I would leave the original look by not cutting off the seam, and still cover it afterwords with a new trimlock covering.
Best of luck
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #54

Michigan
Registry
Dave- thanks for your input. I have also had this question out on the U-Haul camper group on FB, and I think I'm settled on an answer. I'm cleaning all the old gunk out (going pretty well- it's so old it's quite loose), and then I will do a bead of 3M Marine 5200 Adhesive/Sealant, and then add the new Trim-Loc after painting. Unless someone hits me with a really fantastic better idea, this is it.

Clearly, everyone thinks that it needs something to help hold the halves together other than the interior fiberglassing. And, as I said over there, I wasn't sure what was holding the trailer together. (Just that interior layer!)
Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #55

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sealing

You know what I think I would do? I would call Scamp explain your trouble and I bet they would tell you what to do there are no secrets now!

By the way your job is fantasic I have work for you when you get done but I bet you are sick of this part.

cheers

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #56

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
hey I just thought of something the band on my Scamp is sealed with silicone caulk looks like GE to me very good stuff. You may be asking the impossible I have seen a car repair guy try to fix a long crack on a limo it was impossible to do! he finally came up with a long strip of chrome to seal it off.

best of luck to you

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #57

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
You may be asking the impossible I have seen a car repair guy try to fix a long crack on a limo it was impossible to do! he finally came up with a long strip of chrome to seal it of
I have good Trim-Loc to cover it. I just want to help the adhesion of the two halves and make it watertight.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #58

Michigan
Registry
I'm only counting "days"- tracking the hours would just be too complicated since many jobs require doing some small thing and then waiting (like putting on paint stripper). That said, I spent a LOT of hours on the trailer today. Ran out of daylight, but did make one goal.There's a ton of work to do before Ester comes back in a few weeks to help paint. I need the weather to hold, and my persistence to also hold.

My Quality Day: My Trailer Redo - Day 51 - Cleaning the Crack

Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #59

Michigan
Registry
The crack is sealed!

My Quality Day: My Trailer Redo - Days 54, 55 - Sealing the Crack

Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should cut that out, frame it and hang it on the wall at the local art gallery.

Tags
companion, re-do, redo, refurbish, u-haul